English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 16 February 2020, 23:22   #21
BSzili
old chunk of coal

They decided that they don't want to release a direct port of the PDA game, they wanted music, animated cutscenes, etc. Unfortunately there has been no progress on any of that, hence no release even years later. I tried to persuade them to first release the current version and add the bells and whistles later, but I didn't succeed. Nothing crazy here, just a case of perfect being the enemy of the good.
Old 16 February 2020, 23:29   #22
DamienD
Banned

Here's an idea you could pitch to them; say something along the lines of the following:

I've released a small / limited Amiga demo version; and mentioned that unfortunately it's not possible to purchase the full port.

The Amiga community are very impressed and really would like the opportunity to purchase / play this game on the system.

They don't care about extra music / animated cutscenes, and are very happy with a straight PDA port.

I've been thinking; how about Amiga users pay the same price as people do for the PDA version; and then add say another $2 for me.

I mean, they'd be bonkers not to consider this... you've already done the hard work, they'll get the money that they usually do, and it's for sales from people like me that wouldn't ever bother with this game on PDA or Windows.

It's a win / win scenario for them and free money

Last edited by DamienD; 16 February 2020 at 23:42.
Old 16 February 2020, 23:43   #23
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Here's an idea you could pitch to them; say something along the lines of the following:

I've released a small / limited Amiga demo version; and mentioned that unfortunately it's not possible to purchase the full port.

The Amiga community are very impressed and really would like the opportunity to purchase / play this game on the system.

They don't care about extra music / animated cutscenes, and are very happy with a straight PDA port.

I've been thinking; how about Amiga users pay the same price as people do for the PDA version; and then add say another $2 for me.

I mean, they'd be bonkers not to consider this... you've already done the hard work, they'll get the money that they usually do, and it's for sales from people like me that wouldn't ever bother with this game on PDA or Windows.

Great idea, fingers crossed!
Old 17 February 2020, 04:42   #24
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
I wonder if there is a way to patch this to full game.. like changing the WAD file on Doom etc?? ;-) I bought this years ago.. loved the game
Great idea. Could you possibly make the Amiga version accept the full version data files from the Windows version?
Old 17 February 2020, 07:19   #25
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post

I appreciate the effort, but I already tried to persuade them similar to this. There was no demo back then, but I had a handful of internal testers to back me up, but nope. In my most recent attempt, when I tried to buy the non-exclusive publishing rights I also offered them all the revenue from the registrations, so they don't care about free money. They know my wallet remains open in case they ever change their mind.
Old 17 February 2020, 09:34   #26
Pyromania

Looks like a cool game. Very said it’s only available as a demo.
Old 17 February 2020, 09:58   #27
manossg

A dumb idea; maybe we could appeal to them collectively as EAB or the Amiga community along the lines of wanting to revive this game on the Amiga and committing to purchase? From what I can tell from their website, they are people who love the type of rpgs that we had on the Amiga so it should be important to them if 50-100 or more people show a desire to play an Amiga port of their game.
Old 17 February 2020, 10:39   #28
BSzili
old chunk of coal

I think there is a misunderstanding here. Redshift is not involved in this, they sold the rights to publish the Amiga version to someone else. I didn't name them on purpose, as people would bug them to release the game. Believe me, you are not going to change their mind unfortunately.
Old 17 February 2020, 10:49   #29
manossg

This is very sad.
Old 17 February 2020, 11:11   #30
Solo Kazuki

That's something weird. Windows version might be based on PDA version, but Amiga version not? That sounds like some rich overhyped Amiga fan want better version no matter what.
It looks like "better or nothing" complex...

Last edited by Solo Kazuki; 17 February 2020 at 11:16.
Old 17 February 2020, 12:03   #31
Pyromania

Who owns the rights to the Amiga version then?
Old 17 February 2020, 12:06   #32
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
That's something weird. Windows version might be based on PDA version, but Amiga version not? That sounds like some rich overhyped Amiga fan want better version no matter what.
It looks like "better or nothing" complex...
I can assure you their intention was to provide the Amiga community the best version possible. On the other hand the road to hell is paved with good intentions too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Who owns the rights to the Amiga version then?
I can't tell you this, unless they chose to "reveal" themselves.

Last edited by BSzili; 17 February 2020 at 12:13.
Old 17 February 2020, 14:18   #33
nobody

This should be released somehow. Looks really good.
Old 17 February 2020, 14:37   #34
Pyromania

I used to enjoy playing Dungeon Master Strikes Back. Does it play kind of like that game? I’ll have to download the demo and try it. I really do hope the full game can be for sale one day.
Old 17 February 2020, 14:46   #35
BSzili
old chunk of coal

From what I heard Legacy was inspired by games like Black Crypt, Eye of The Beholder and Dungeon Master.
Old 18 February 2020, 08:05   #36
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I can help with the music - possibly original - but as pushing pixels am kinda rusty
Old 18 February 2020, 08:10   #37
BSzili
old chunk of coal

They have their own musician, that's not the issue here.
Old 18 February 2020, 08:18   #38
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
This reminds me a bit situation around Babylonian Twins, that was also very weird. Anyway - breaks my heart to look at the game of this quality, that can not be released. Sometimes miracle happens, like in case of Putty Squad. Fingers crossed we will ever play the full version of Legacy.
Old 18 February 2020, 08:39   #39
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The scene thanks you for all your hard work. I'd implore you to make sure the final 100% version and the assets (source code and graphics) are backed up and sent to someone you trust so that it can be released (through the back door if necessary) many years from now when no one cares. Or contact Piko Entertainment they are pretty good at securing rights to publish commercially old games from the copyright holders.
Old 18 February 2020, 09:44   #40
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The scene thanks you for all your hard work. I'd implore you to make sure the final 100% version and the assets (source code and graphics) are backed up and sent to someone you trust so that it can be released (through the back door if necessary) many years from now when no one cares. Or contact Piko Entertainment they are pretty good at securing rights to publish commercially old games from the copyright holders.
The source code safely stored in multiple places, including a private repository that a few people who got involved over the years have access to (I was the only one working on this port though). The unrestricted executables can be built from it at any time.
Although I have no illusions about the game ever getting released, I'm not going to use any backdoors to get around the current owners. It's up to them if they ever change their mind and accept my money.