English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 06 December 2022, 12:03   #41
roondar

To be clear, my response was purely about 'native Amiga' FPS games I played back in the '90s - therefore I didn't consider Doom and the like
Old 06 December 2022, 12:06   #42
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
They were judged based on technology first. And that seems to persist to this day.
I dunno. Take Gloom, for example. It wasn't technically as advanced as some of the others but it was an absolute blast of arcade style play, and the split screen two player mode was excellent. The arcade minigame for earning extra lives was also neat.

AB3D was lots of fun too, provided you had at least a fast ram expansion to get it running at playable rates. It could be frustrating otherwise but the level design was great. I only wish TKG had as much effort put into its level design. It seems to me that they released it unfinished. It could've been a great swansong.
Old 06 December 2022, 12:10   #43
Torti-the-Smurf

You Guys did forget NEMAC IV . (Not that it´s "the best", but i just wanted to mention it)

http://hol.abime.net/953

I had the most fun with GLOOM Deluxe but i played them all
Old 06 December 2022, 12:26   #44
stevelord

BITD I really enjoyed Gloom, albeit at a low size with lots of effects turned off. Fears was ok but I didn't really enjoy it. AB3D Was really, really fun to play and a brilliant translation of the AB series to 3d in my view (back then). AB3DII was technically impressive (if a little slow or clunky on my A1200 at the time) but not as much fun as AB3D. Death Mask was crap but at least I could play deathmatch on my mate's 500. I also used to play Robocop 3 a lot but I don't know if that counts.

Today, I still love AB3D, I just wish there was a fully working 1x1 mode. I tried playing through AB3DII and didn't complete it but it's on my list. I think I can appreciate it for what it is - a flawed and rushed game with some interesting ideas but still playable, if less fun. Gloom (and Gloom Deluxe) feels less fun than it did. I've tried Genetic Species but not spent time on it - I think I will after completing AB3DII. I quite like some of the ports. I completed DOOM for the first time on an Amiga. Novacoder's Quake runs fairly well on my A4000. I really like BSzili's Build FPS ports, particularly his Duke Nukem 3D port.

Also (for reasons unknown to me, but probably graphics-related) bitd I got *really* into Robinson's Requiem. It has First Person elements and shooting elements. I've tried since but struggled to get back into it. Dunno if that counts as an FPS?
Old 06 December 2022, 12:33   #45
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Today, I still love AB3D, I just wish there was a fully working 1x1 mode. I tried playing through AB3DII and didn't complete it but it's on my list. I think I can appreciate it for what it is - a flawed and rushed game with some interesting ideas but still playable, if less fun
Have you played Project Osiris? It's a virtually flawless remake and enhancement of AB3D that runs on the gzdoom engine. A breathtaking amount of effort must've gone into it.

As for AB3D 2, let's just say ... it's being worked on
Old 06 December 2022, 13:42   #46
rothers

The Alien Breed 3D remake reviewed:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 06 December 2022, 20:37   #47
oscar_ates

There was a 3d virtual karting game I remember. Some horizontal lines were skipped in the graphics if I remember correctly. It was looking weird
Old 06 December 2022, 21:19   #48
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_ates View Post
There was a 3d virtual karting game I remember. Some horizontal lines were skipped in the graphics if I remember correctly. It was looking weird
If you mean Virtual Karting (by Fabio Ciucci, one of the RamJam coders btw), was using dither over the 2x2 chunky to make it look less pixelated; downside, screen was kinda dark

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 06 December 2022, 22:14   #49
oscar_ates

Yes this one I meant. Thanks for explanation
Old 06 December 2022, 22:36   #50
QuikSanz

And I see no mention of Genetic Species, its wild.

Chris
Old 06 December 2022, 23:04   #51
oscar_ates

Amiga's journey at the 3d fps world was always at the dire straits
Old 06 December 2022, 23:33   #52
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
Have you played Project Osiris? It's a virtually flawless remake and enhancement of AB3D that runs on the gzdoom engine. A breathtaking amount of effort must've gone into it.

Yep. And btw many thanks for your works on AB3D2. I Can now appreciate this games 25 years after I've purchased it (I still got thé original boxed version !)

Do you think implementing a 1*1 mode on AB3D1 is possible ? It is strange that they didn't offered that option considering AB3D2 was easily configurable in comparison (and also Gloom).
Old 07 December 2022, 01:51   #53
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post

I thought Osiris was meant to be close but not quite the same? As in it was more forgiving and it made compromises on maps because it couldn't do the overlaps in ab3d that weren't possible in doom?
Old 07 December 2022, 07:54   #54
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelord View Post
I thought Osiris was meant to be close but not quite the same? As in it was more forgiving and it made compromises on maps because it couldn't do the overlaps in ab3d that weren't possible in doom?
It's not exactly the same, but (G)ZDoom can create 'overlaps'. Just had a quick go and indeed it features multiple floors even in the first map:

Really impressive what they've done and thank you for finally making me play it
Old 07 December 2022, 08:36   #55
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
It's not exactly the same, but (G)ZDoom can create 'overlaps'. Just had a quick go and indeed it features multiple floors even in the first map:

Really impressive what they've done and thank you for finally making me play it
GZDoom + Brutal Doom =

Brutal.Doom: [ Show youtube player ]
Brutal.Wolf3d: [ Show youtube player ]

got the brutal mods on the steam deck and pc, love them, brutal doom, brutal wolfenstien/etc.
Old 07 December 2022, 09:05   #56
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
It can do room over room and every bridge and gantry of the original is there. As for forgiving, just play it in extinction level difficulty if you think it's too easy.
Old 07 December 2022, 10:58   #57
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Yep. And btw many thanks for your works on AB3D2. I Can now appreciate this games 25 years after I've purchased it (I still got thé original boxed version !)
Likewise. I remember actually buying it, and AB3D1 over the counter at a games shop. Seems like another lifetime ago now

Quote:
Do you think implementing a 1*1 mode on AB3D1 is possible ? It is strange that they didn't offered that option considering AB3D2 was easily configurable in comparison (and also Gloom).
The challenge with AB3D in 1x1 mode, as I see it, are two fold:

1. Increasing the resolution to 320*256 has many of the same aspect ratio challenges TKG has going from 288 wide to 320, half of which are still unsolved. It may also be the case that the fixed precision integer maths needs an overhaul, it's certainly somewhat dubious in TKG - you only have to look at how bad the floor and ceiling texturing becomes.

2. The game took advantage of the copper emulation to allow it to use 4096 colours at once. Basically the rendering was 12-bit RGB. That allowed for nice shading and water colour tinting effects.

A basic native 1x1 isn't going to cut it without using some sort of HAM C2P routine if you want faithful colour reproduction. If the resolution increase is possible, it would likely work best as an RTG title where it can use a 15 bit mode.
Old 07 December 2022, 13:05   #58
utri007
mä vaan

1. Trapped
2. Breathless
3. Genetic Species (Paradroid 3D?)
4. Alien Breed 3D II - TKG
5. Trapped II
6. Nemac IV

Based what I have played most.
Old 07 December 2022, 13:40   #59
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
It's not exactly the same, but (G)ZDoom can create 'overlaps'.

Alrighty then, gonna give it a go!
Old 07 December 2022, 17:16   #60
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Alrighty then, gonna give it a go!
I don't think we'll be hearing from this guy for a while