English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 26 January 2022, 19:49   #81
kremiso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Italy
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Improve = rewrite almost from scratch for native HW in assembly in this case
really, so drastic?
the md code seems almost 100% standard C language (at least Github says so)

I wasn't thinking it would require something close a complete restart
kremiso is offline  
Old 26 January 2022, 19:52   #82
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
really, so drastic?
the md code seems almost 100% standard C language (at least Github says so)

I wasn't thinking it would require something close a complete restart
If is done using SDL then i know jotd did some wrapper for it but not sure on the final performance - graphics might need some adaptation though
saimon69 is offline  
Old 27 January 2022, 01:37   #83
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator
PortuguesePilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Setúbal, Portugal
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
If is done using SDL then i know jotd did some wrapper for it but not sure on the final performance - graphics might need some adaptation though
The A500's lowly 7MHz M68000 isn't very keen on pure C either... Performance would suffer. Yes, I know the MD has a 7.16MHz M68000 but in the console's case much of the churning on the graphical department would be made by the VDP (which has chunky mode, lacking on the OCS and even AGA, with all the known consequences).
PortuguesePilot is offline  
Old 27 January 2022, 10:08   #84
kremiso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Italy
Posts: 622
thank you for the tech explain guys

i'm trying to find some con/slowdown in that md port, none until now
all the enemies in the egg corridor are there
maybe it will suffer in the big boss battles
still, impressive job

if it will appear on the c64 in future, i'll quit the miggy scene
joking ofc
kremiso is offline  
Old 27 January 2022, 19:38   #85
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
thank you for the tech explain guys

i'm trying to find some con/slowdown in that md port, none until now
all the enemies in the egg corridor are there
maybe it will suffer in the big boss battles
still, impressive job

if it will appear on the c64 in future, i'll quit the miggy scene
joking ofc
Well, Cave Story is A BIT more intensive than a Sonic, even with the MRU - is a borderline metroidvania and some boss are kinda big - the 64 can do it with some tricks - the megadrive use its 80 sprites and three tiles (characters) layers, we could likely do it in 16 colors, 25FPS, one hard disk and one megabyte of RAM but adjustments will need to be done
saimon69 is offline  
Old 28 January 2022, 09:35   #86
Bruce Abbott
Registered User

Bruce Abbott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Hastings, New Zealand
Posts: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Well, Cave Story is A BIT more intensive than a Sonic, even with the MRU - is a borderline metroidvania and some boss are kinda big - the 64 can do it with some tricks - the megadrive use its 80 sprites and three tiles (characters) layers, we could likely do it in 16 colors, 25FPS, one hard disk and one megabyte of RAM but adjustments will need to be done
Sure. But looking at the example screenshot I wonder why we would bother.
Bruce Abbott is offline  
Old 28 January 2022, 12:47   #87
kremiso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Italy
Posts: 622
Can agree here
a lot of work to have another so so port... no thanks

was reading this page with some differences from the md and the pc version, with some tricks used too :

https://github.com/andwn/cave-story-...DIFFERENCES.md
kremiso is offline  
Old 29 January 2022, 01:25   #88
idrougge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Sure. But looking at the example screenshot I wonder why we would bother.
Because it’s an excellent game, one we would be proud of if it originated on the Amiga.
idrougge is offline  
Old 29 January 2022, 11:24   #89
WayneK
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Somewhere secret
Age: 48
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Well, Cave Story is A BIT more intensive than a Sonic, even with the MRU - is a borderline metroidvania and some boss are kinda big - the 64 can do it with some tricks - the megadrive use its 80 sprites and three tiles (characters) layers, we could likely do it in 16 colors, 25FPS, one hard disk and one megabyte of RAM but adjustments will need to be done

Just to be clear, the megadrive only has 2 tile layers (called ScrollA and ScrollB respectively) not 3.
WayneK is offline  
Old 13 February 2022, 11:44   #90
masteries
Registered User

masteries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Madrid
Age: 38
Posts: 145
Megadrive / Genesis video hardware is designed as an arcade system; all is 4 bit chunky mode tile based, and sprites and map tiles are managed as hardware sprites. (Maps are a bit different, but hardware internals drawing method is almost the same).

Thanks to 4 bit chunky mode, and 16 bit accesses, for each accesed data, the graphical powerhorse always retrieve 4 pixels of graphic data (including no displayed colouerd pixels). These accesses are DMA based at 13 MHz.


This approach has many advantages and some disadvantages, such you are usually limited to the hardware constraints; such tiny video RAM.


But good framerates and possibilities to display dozens of sprites and detailed maps are guaranteed, for little CPU cost.

Last edited by masteries; 13 February 2022 at 11:53.
masteries is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Sega Mega Drive with 14 Games scrappysphinx MarketPlace 3 08 December 2009 23:54
Sega Mega Drive Controller for CD32? Fingerlickin_B support.Hardware 5 28 January 2009 06:00
68k Mega Drive Emulator Hewitson request.Apps 11 04 February 2008 08:55
Well, so long dear Mega Drive MethodGit Retrogaming General Discussion 48 25 September 2003 16:35
Mega Drive Joypads steztheskinhead support.Hardware 6 23 July 2001 16:10

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.08302 seconds with 15 queries