English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 June 2022, 22:02   #1
utukku

Making External gotek from external Cumana drive?

Hi, I am trying to make an external gotek drive, using the case and connections of an external cumana drive(which works normally).However, when I connect a working gotek to it, and then power up, it says the cable is upside down.. but it's not a cable, its connected by the black idc from the cumana pcb into the gotek drive? Any idea how I solve this? Is there a cable I need to swap around?

Cheers

Utukku
Old 15 June 2022, 08:37   #2
Jope
-

Try doing it as it recommends, plug the data cable into the gotek "upside down" to see whether it likes it better that way. Don't flip the power cable. :-)

Lots of old early 90s 3.5" mechanisms had the connector in the other way around than in the Gotek.

If it is indeed upside down, you will have to solve this somehow. I just sliced up the ribbon cable into strands of two as a kid when I swapped in a different oriented floppy mech into my external drive. This made it flexible enough to twist around. These days I'd probably crimp together a longer cable so I didn't have to slice it up as much.
Old 15 June 2022, 10:36   #3
Vypr

The problem with the Cumana drives is that the connection from the board to the drive is upside down compared to normal floppies.
So your Gotek pinout looks like this:

Data lines
-----------
GND Lines

while the Cumana is like this

GND Lines
------------
Data Lines

So when you plug the Gotek in it reports that the cable is upside down.

What I did on mine was removed the IDC connector and replaced it with pins and used a shortened ribbon cable that only connected the Data lines, The Gotek doesn't need any of the extra GND lines and will work fine without them
Old 15 June 2022, 21:34   #4
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vypr View Post
The problem with the Cumana drives is that the connection from the board to the drive is upside down compared to normal floppies.
So your Gotek pinout looks like this:

Data lines
-----------
GND Lines

while the Cumana is like this

GND Lines
------------
Data Lines

So when you plug the Gotek in it reports that the cable is upside down.

What I did on mine was removed the IDC connector and replaced it with pins and used a shortened ribbon cable that only connected the Data lines, The Gotek doesn't need any of the extra GND lines and will work fine without them
Just seen this on EBay which might help Bromigo!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334475217...mis&media=COPY
Old 16 June 2022, 22:56   #5
utukku

Thanks for all the replies. I did try turning the cable around, but as we now know, that wouldn't work. So I bought that cable adaptor :-)

Utuku
Old 17 June 2022, 00:09   #6
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by utukku View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I did try turning the cable around, but as we now know, that wouldn't work. So I bought that cable adaptor :-)

Utuku
Welcome Mang!