English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 March 2023, 11:33   #1
lanceroo

IDE68k+gottago for A2000

Has anyone gotten this board set to work?
Old 03 March 2023, 13:01   #2
LIV2
Tinkerer

I have

It should just work provided it is connected properly, i.e INT2 + OVR of the ide68k connected to the Amiga and the CFGIN connection of the GottaGoFast if you're using other Zorro cards.

Note that the ide68k requires kickstart 2.05 or newer because earlier versions lack the IDE device driver
Old 03 March 2023, 13:16   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIV2 View Post
Note that the ide68k requires kickstart 2.05 or newer because earlier versions lack the IDE device driver
Only to boot.

And you can use a modified version of earlier ROMs (e.g. you can put Gayle scsi.device in a custom made KS1.3)
Old 04 March 2023, 19:13   #4
lanceroo

I have INT2 and OVR connected correctly. I’m using a genuine 3.2 kickstart rom, and a ide to compact flash adapter ( compact flash card came with 3.2 installed)
On power up adapter board leds show it has voltage and is a “master” but display just shows it’s waiting for me to insert a floppy.
Is there anywhere you can point me to for more documentation? Manual that came with board set from Amigastore.eu is pretty sparse.
Old 07 March 2023, 09:56   #5
LIV2
Tinkerer

If you have DiagROM handy you can go to disk tests > Gayletest (A600/1200 etc IDE) and run that test

If you don't have DiagROM handy then another option may be Sysinfo, load that up and check if it shows a Gary rev (I think this should show the Gayle ID emitted by the IDE68K but I am not sure).
Old 09 March 2023, 02:38   #6
lanceroo

I’m installing in an A2000 - the machine will boot to the ask for floppy screen and I start to attempt to install 3.2 on a compact flash - I do see that it recognizes the 8 meg of ram, but if I go to HD toolbox it checks for drives and then hangs. I get a black screen and then need to do a power on reset.
Old 10 March 2023, 17:43   #7
huggy70

I have this working in my a500, also from amigastore.eu. It works quite well.

First I had trouble with ide too. Had to buy an CF adaptor from sordan for 3.5" cause I thought it would come with 2,5" ide connector.
After the adaptor arrived it didn't work. A LED on the adaptor board comes on and that was it. Only insert disc on startup, same as you

The adaptor has a power connector and after a while I realised the CF adaptor needed additional power.
So I borrowed some 12v (or was it 5v? don't remember) from the floppy power and all of a sudden all worked.

I first wanted to boot from 1.3 but had no prepared kickstart so I used kick 3.2. It is kind of a lame duck even with 8gb fast ram perhaps with kick 1.3 it is faster? Maybe I will try some day.

A little annoying is the manual doesn't mention the jumper settings and where is pin 1 of the ide connector. Also the legs for CPU connection are a little short and one thinks it will pop off but till now all works well and im quite satisfied :-)
Old 10 March 2023, 19:01   #8
LIV2
Tinkerer

Definitely 5V!! but looking at the board you just need to close this jumper to connect 5V to the CF adapter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ide68k.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	78301  
Old 10 March 2023, 21:14   #9
huggy70

Quote:
but looking at the board you just need to close this jumper to connect 5V to the CF adapter
oh, you mean setting this jumper will supply 5v through the ide cable to the cf adaptor? That would be great.

As I said, the manual doesn't say much bout the jumpers
Old 04 June 2023, 00:09   #10
moonlight49

I am pretty much newbie to Amiga but I have A500 rev6A (1M chip soldered with four additional memory IC to the board) + gotek ff 3.3x.
I've bought ide68k+8MB gottago fastmem card rev402 + patched KS1.3 from amigastore, but can't start ide part (while 8MB is working).
Setting jumper to KEY (only to KEY) really powers adapter on and adapter shows short activity while resetting (yellow led in my case) but won't boot and shows "guru meditation message" (fd0 contains Workbench 1.3.3 rev 34.33 and cf card contains A1200 created partitions larger than 2GB, so first boot is always shows Guru meditation message, and the following soft rebooted boots goes successfully to Workbench 1.3.3). So Workbench boot successfully but without HD0/CF0 disk visible.
Also I tried to boot sysinfo4.4.adf and it shows only fd0 device. My suggestion is that sysinfo at least should show HD0/CF0 device. Should it show it without adapter inserted?
I tested cf adapter with the same card on legacy Pentium board - it works fine (However guru meditation message numbers seems to be changing depending on card content) .
Later I tried to use CPU relocator and performed board recap, this simplified CPU insertion, but behavior is the same. Tried external +5V for the adapter - the same behavior.
So I guess something is wrong or I applied to much force(damaged) while inserting expansion board to cpu socket. Do I need to make any other joins except for int2, ovr?
Do you think cf card may cause the issue? I use 16 GB Transcend card.
https://imgur.com/a/j4qLGMh

Last edited by moonlight49; 04 June 2023 at 01:49.
Old 04 June 2023, 00:54   #11
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

This problem can also happen when using Kipper2k 504 and 508 boards. The fast RAM is recognised but CF IDE isn't. The machine boots OK and other software detects the 4 or 8MB fast respectively. But NO CF detection.

The problem is due to bad connection at the 68K SKT and must be addressed. If you are using extensions or SKT reposition card, check for complete correct seating. No angles etc, it must be tight and flat.

The best method is to use those pin strips that extend the cards mounting pins. These work perfectly and the CF should then be recognised. If one set of the pin strips doesn't establish CF detection, try using a second set. This would raise the board slightly higher, but that isn't an issue in the A2000.

You require the rounded type for good pin connection. Make sure the card is seated flat to the 68K SKT and the pin strips.

This happens on A500's and the Plus, when the capacitor gets in the way. So raising the card is important. This method should still clear keyboard and shield. (In regards to 508/504 boards)

Incidentally, even with OVR and INT2 connected, the detection problem can still happen. Until correct connection is established at the 68K SKT, you'll continue to experience the same issue.

Disclaimer
There is nothing wrong with the design or function of the Kipper2k 504/508 board design. This problem is due to connection only and NOT the boards. This issue could happen when using any 68K piggy back system, if correct connection is not established.

Last edited by MigaTech; 06 June 2023 at 00:25. Reason: Additional support information added
Old 04 June 2023, 01:51   #12
moonlight49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post

The best method is to use those pin strips that extend the cards mounting pins. These work perfectly and the CF should then be recognised.
Thanks! Don't you think relocator with long pins is not the same as pin strips?
Can CF card size 16 GB be the root cause?

Last edited by moonlight49; 04 June 2023 at 02:09.
Old 05 June 2023, 00:16   #13
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

The pin strips allow for correct connection. The SKT re-locator is OK, providing you have the pin strips connected to that. Try without locator using the pin strips just to see if you establish CF detection.

The A2000 is the same as A500 in relation to the 68K SKT, making for slight exceptions such as component location etc. If you do not established a good and/or correct connection at the 68K SKT, then you'll most definitely experience CF issues.

16GB CF have no trouble on A1200 but not sure with A2000 and A500. My 2000 and 500 plus have 8GB and 4GB CF's respectively. The 2000 has an A2091 and the 500 a Kipper2k 508. If the CF is set up correctly and you have adequate ROM installed, it shouldn't be a problem. (Don't hold me to that though.) To make sure, do you have a smaller CF to hand?

Have you checked if your IDE device has drive limitations? Can't see that it would as it looks modern. That model is probably the only one I haven't used. So other than my checking for you, I cannot offer precise information.

Last edited by MigaTech; 06 June 2023 at 00:27.
Old 06 June 2023, 22:17   #14
moonlight49

Quote:
The A2000 is the same as A500 in relation to the 68K SKT, making for slight exceptions such as component location etc. If you do not established a good and/or correct connection at the 68K SKT, then you'll most definitely experience CF issues.
I understand what you mean, but socket is in good state. I polished it with isopropyl alcohol as well as CPU contacts. No issues with inserting/ejecting/detecting CPU at the moment.
Is this true, that even without card inserted, sysinfo4.x should at least display HD0 device?

Quote:
16GB CF have no trouble on A1200 but not sure with A2000 and A500. My 2000 and 500 plus have 8GB and 4GB CF's respectively. The 2000 has an A2091 and the 500 a Kipper2k 508. If the CF is set up correctly and you have adequate ROM installed, it shouldn't be a problem. (Don't hold me to that though.) To make sure, do you have a smaller CF to hand?

Have you checked if your IDE device has drive limitations?
Sorry I don't understand the last question about limitation. What do you mean? I saw very similar(or exactly the same) adapter in youtube videos about ide68k. It has 3.3/5V switch, master/slave switch. Also I tried to connect 3.5 HDD to this adapter (with external power supply for it) - but no HD0 appeared.

I do not have other CF cards at the moment. But I can buy some.
PS: I have board version 402.

Thanks!
Old 07 June 2023, 00:34   #15
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

(Drive Limitations)
Some modern adapters can be incompatible with certain CF cards and possible storage capacity.

On a fast look up of your device there doesn't appear to be any limitations mentioned.

Do you know if the CF to IDE adapter you own is compatible with Amiga? Some CF adapters can be incompatible with Amiga computers, even the A1200 can't detect when using an incompatible adapter.

System info won't display IDE device size or type if system has no drive detected.

I am also assuming there is nothing in early boot either?
Old 07 June 2023, 14:38   #16
moonlight49

Quote:
(Drive Limitations)

Do you know if the CF to IDE adapter you own is compatible with Amiga?
I don't know.

Quote:
System info won't display IDE device size or type if system has no drive detected.

I am also assuming there is nothing in early boot either?
A500 doesn't have early boot menu as I know. While Amiga starting adapter flashes once with activity led diode.

I guess I have to try to make two wires shorter (INT2 + OVR signals) + to buy 2.54 mm pin strips
Old 07 June 2023, 23:31   #17
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

What version of ROM are you using? That revised 1.3 version what's the deal with that? Suppose it has something to do with auto booting. (Never used one) Anyways, I was assuming you'd be on at least 37.300 or 37.350. TBH, your best bet would be 40.063 Amiga Forever. Early boot menu is useful.

Check the following: https://amigastore.eu/en/18-rom-31-a...02000cdtv.html

The pin strips are essential to establishing correct contact and connection. Order at least 4. You might have to cut them to correct length.

When you fit them make sure they are all straight tight and the adapter is level with 68K SKT. If correct connection is achieved, then the CF should be detected.
Old 12 June 2023, 02:20   #18
moonlight49

Quote:
What version of ROM are you using? That revised 1.3 version what's the deal with that? Suppose it has something to do with auto booting. (Never used one) Anyways, I was assuming you'd be on at least 37.300 or 37.350. TBH, your best bet would be 40.063 Amiga Forever. Early boot menu is useful.

Check the following: https://amigastore.eu/en/18-rom-31-a...02000cdtv.html

The pin strips are essential to establishing correct contact and connection. Order at least 4. You might have to cut them to correct length.

When you fit them make sure they are all straight tight and the adapter is level with 68K SKT. If correct connection is achieved, then the CF should be detected.
I'm using modified for ide boot KS1.3 (from amigastore). Later I'll buy 2 or 4-ROMs switcher, not sure which versions I need at the moment. I hope to deal somehow with 1.3 because I saw few videos with successful boot at modified KS1.3.

More over I noticed: two wires connected give me some memory corruption - some adf doesn't start, graphical artefacts, guru meditation messages. 8 MB seems doesn't require these 2 wires (int/2, ovr). As I said before I have extended to 1 MB chip board rev 6a. Can JP7A give me such glitches (right now it is in factory default setting)?

I tried with another CF card: delkin 512 MB - the behaviour is the same - no luck.

Last edited by moonlight49; 12 June 2023 at 02:26.
Old 12 June 2023, 10:21   #19
LIV2
Tinkerer

Correct, INT2/OVR are only used by the IDE part and not by the memory expansion.

If hooking up OVR and INT2 causes issues then perhaps the IDE part is faulty, if you purchased the board from AmigaStore you should contact them and see if they can replace the board
Old 12 June 2023, 14:58   #20
moonlight49

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIV2 View Post
Correct, INT2/OVR are only used by the IDE part and not by the memory expansion.

If hooking up OVR and INT2 causes issues then perhaps the IDE part is faulty, if you purchased the board from AmigaStore you should contact them and see if they can replace the board
Thanks for prompt reply.
I've already had chat with amigastore - they said the board passed quality assurance before selling. There are also label at the product about this.