English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 30 August 2021, 05:31   #1
scarrabri

Smile Do the Amiga lovers use their Amiga on line

Hi a warm hi from me, do the Amiga lovers use ther Amiga,on line when they come on to the Amiga Board or a pc i only ask as in do i need to set some extra virus protection up ,i do own a pc but prefer my Amiga 1200 which is what i am using now which is a simple set up using Amiga3.9 on a cf drive conversion popping out the back .neatly i might add and it runs like a dream and i no longer here a slight clicking noise or maybe i got used to it ,best wishes .
Old 30 August 2021, 06:01   #2
drHirudo
Amiga user

Yes, I use my Amiga online. It is much easier to download software directly to the Amiga drives and start it from there. Lately I've installed IBrowse 2.5.5:
[ Show youtube player ]

which works pretty fast on my config.

Of course it can't be used for complex sites, but most of the Amiga sites work pretty well.
Old 30 August 2021, 07:19   #3
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
After IMP was introduced it makes a perfect sense to me to have my Amiga connected to the internets.
Old 30 August 2021, 08:37   #4
sparhawk

I only use it offline. Just like in the Good Old Days(tm) I have an A1000 and I wouldn't even know how to connect.
Old 30 August 2021, 09:37   #5
Lisko

I use my 1200/030@50 online too for FTP, BBSes, IRC chat, Amimodradio, imp, gemini and basic emails and http/s sites.
Old 30 August 2021, 10:00   #6
scarrabri

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
Yes, I use my Amiga online. It is much easier to download software directly to the Amiga drives and start it from there. Lately I've installed IBrowse 2.5.5:
[ Show youtube player ]

which works pretty fast on my config.

Of course it can't be used for complex sites, but most of the Amiga sites work pretty well.
Hi lol i have little troube understanding the Amiga but no such luck with this site and using it but any way thanks for the reply,How long have you been using the Amiga? and has it been reliable
Old 30 August 2021, 10:32   #7
scarrabri

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
I only use it offline. Just like in the Good Old Days(tm) I have an A1000 and I wouldn't even know how to connect.
Hi my dear friend i used my Amiga off line for many years and i go back a little bit and the urge to to get my Amiga 1200 on line grew and grew so i started my adventure to get my little beauty 1200 on its way to surfing the net without the full knowledge as how to do so but on i went and the years rolled by and i got so close to making the dream come true but i failed and boy was i sad until i got a message and no not from god but from a another Amiga lover who may still be on the forums and his name was Frank and he pushed me forward with his expertise and another 12 months past and i will never forget the time my then friend Frank said the words as in its now or never turn it on and my Amiga burst in to life and a few mins latter was surfing the net like it knew what it was doing and itis still going strong to this day and if you are out ther Frank my dear Friend i owe it all to you ,simply the best my dear friend Brian
Old 30 August 2021, 11:08   #8
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarrabri View Post
i will never forget the time my then friend Frank said the words as in its now or never turn it on and my Amiga burst in to life and a few mins latter was surfing the net like it knew what it was doing and itis still going strong to this day

To be hones, I don't even want to connect it to the Internet. I just want to remember the good old days when I was happy with exploring my Amiga. So today, I just use it for programming and hopefully will complete a game sooner or later. I can easily live without Internet, as I have my PC for doing that. And transfering files is rather easy, so there is no compelling reason for me.
Old 30 August 2021, 11:23   #9
scarrabri

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
To be hones, I don't even want to connect it to the Internet. I just want to remember the good old days when I was happy with exploring my Amiga. So today, I just use it for programming and hopefully will complete a game sooner or later. I can easily live without Internet, as I have my PC for doing that. And transfering files is rather easy, so there is no compelling reason for me.
Hi and i can understand that as the net has taken over our lifes but when i see the Amiga in full flow and it surfs the net ,how can that be lol
Old 30 August 2021, 15:56   #10
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarrabri View Post
Hi lol i have little troube understanding the Amiga but no such luck with this site and using it but any way thanks for the reply,How long have you been using the Amiga? and has it been reliable
I've been using Amigas since 1993. I went online long time ago in 1997 from a friend and then in 1999 from home, first with Amiga 600, then A1200, later A4000, microAmigaOne and now mostly X1000 since it is the fastest. Back in the late 1990-ies I used the Amiga to download all new software from Aminet and there was a lot of software and new games coming all the time. Later with faster machines I was able to download music and movies and play them on the Amiga. Back then I used mostly AWeb since it was faster, IBrowse less, and there was a very crashy MUI based browser called Voyager.
Old 30 August 2021, 18:12   #11
scarrabri

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
I've been using Amigas since 1993. I went online long time ago in 1997 from a friend and then in 1999 from home, first with Amiga 600, then A1200, later A4000, microAmigaOne and now mostly X1000 since it is the fastest. Back in the late 1990-ies I used the Amiga to download all new software from Aminet and there was a lot of software and new games coming all the time. Later with faster machines I was able to download music and movies and play them on the Amiga. Back then I used mostly AWeb since it was faster, IBrowse less, and there was a very crashy MUI based browser called Voyager.
Hi well that maakes me a novice lol compared to you even thou i have a 600 and a A1200 and A2000 all working but i am not good on them i just like using them for some unkown reason that keeps me going back to them and like you i like adding things as i go along the way but i have to say i did get side lined a little once i herd the Beatles and bought a guitar and amp and then a small recording studio took up all the space in my bedroom lol and then i realised there was some thing seriusly wrong with me lol and went back to the AMIGA and wouldnt change a thing for the joy that both gave me lol sad realy bye/

Last edited by scarrabri; 30 August 2021 at 20:28.
Old 30 August 2021, 20:37   #12
scarrabri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
After IMP was introduced it makes a perfect sense to me to have my Amiga connected to the internets.
Hi and thanks for the reply but i was trying to work out what IMP meaned and i take it that we are talking abouta Internet music player yes well i hope so lol
Old 30 August 2021, 21:04   #13
Nobby_UK

Occasionally connect to the Aminet for a direct download

used to use IRC and FTP but not so much these days.
Old 30 August 2021, 21:56   #14
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Scarrabri and all!

In addition to all the good uses previously mentioned (IBrowse, AmIRC...), I also serve my Wiki using one of my Amiga

(And, obviously, use AmiModRadio to listen to modules from the Internet! Shameless plug! )

Cheers!
Old 30 August 2021, 22:28   #15
PDrill

My A1200 (or A600 if I ever use it) is always connected.

Clearly the most useful function is to map an FTP account as a drive in the PC as well as in the Amiga, so I have 'Drive E:' on the PC showing the same files than AFTP: on the Amiga and transferring files is just a matter of copying files to/from E:/AFTP:

The next useful function is to download files from directly from Aminet by just using the WGET command, no need for a browser or PC.

Browsing (IBrowse) isn't very smooth on an 28mhz Amiga and the browser has it limitations too, but sure I've done that occasionally. Every now and then I 'call' BBS's but for that I usually use the WiModem rather than telser or equivalent. And last but not least, of course IMP is running almost daily.

So in my opinion, when it comes to a low spec Amiga there are a few unbeatable functions available online but the modern web surely isn't one of them.

Now if someone just would make some multiplayer game, THAT would be something. Wouldn't have to be even anything major, a Supersprint -style racing game would be more than enough.
Old 30 August 2021, 22:30   #16
32Bits

If you have a CD32 and a TF330 you can add WiFi via the ESP8266 header on the TF330. works great for getting software onto the CD32. Downloading software direct from Aminet onto the CD32 is awesome.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 August 2021, 22:49   #17
scarrabri

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygre View Post
Hi Scarrabri and all!

In addition to all the good uses previously mentioned (IBrowse, AmIRC...), I also serve my Wiki using one of my Amiga

(And, obviously, use AmiModRadio to listen to modules from the Internet! Shameless plug! )

Cheers!
Thankyou for your post and i have to say i havent tried the radio but i will have ago after your shameless plug lol as you can tell i am not as well versed about the Amiga as most on the forum but i am amazed at the amount of folk use them on line and for a host of other things ,thanks again for you input
Old 30 August 2021, 23:18   #18
scarrabri

The MiniDisc and the Amiga

Hi i have recorded many times in my small recording home studio using Fostex and tascam but the best sound i ever produced was created by the best sounding device i have ever bought the beautiful MiniDisc player and i still think to this day theres nothing that comes close to the powerful clearest hear ever instrument note stunningly clear sound and it crossed my mind that if it could be connected to the Amiga some of the game tunes would be brilliant to record on to mini disk but probally ilegal ,just a thought

Last edited by scarrabri; 31 August 2021 at 00:41.
Old 31 August 2021, 00:21   #19
scarrabri

Hi again just something that hadbeen said in a earlyer post about connecting different sound systems to the Amiga and it takes me back to which was best the Record the cd the tape or the minidisc and this then leads me to which did sound best and there is only one answer from me that had it all and thats the Record by a long way as this was as close to a live band as one gets and anyone who thinks cd no chance no band plays at full trebble as the cd sounded ,now i have got that off my chest i am off to bed goodnight to all

Last edited by scarrabri; 31 August 2021 at 00:36.
Old 31 August 2021, 13:47   #20
phx
Natteravn

I'm using ethernet on my Amigas mostly for transfering files in the LAN. There are not so many internet services you could use nowadays, but theoretically they are online all the time.

I would guess the two most frequently used internet applications on my Amigas are wget for transfering files from a web server (e.g. Aminet) and NTP to update my time while booting (my A3000 has not even a battery).