English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 31 May 2007, 09:26   #1
Ironclaw
Banned

Weird scanline-looking effect when stuff moves.

Maybe not a WinUAE problem, but guess I need the right settings. Tried alot (yes, also cycle exact...) and can't get the ugly scanline-looking effect to go away. When something moves on the screen it looks like this:

Had it in a couple of other games aswell and have managed to get rid of it, but not in this one. Anyone know the correct settings?.

Also, this being an AmigaCD game (Big Red Adventure) one would expect it to be AGA, or atleast look better.... yuck on the gfx. This image only uses 29 colors. I'm only recording this game on request and if I can't get rid of the ugly scanline effect, I won't record it.

-----------------------------------------------------
Some more info:

This is what it looks like in double line mode, like it should look like (so obviously this game is a double line mode game and look crap in normal line mode)... but when I move she gets all scanlinish.

This is how it looks in NORMAL line mode (and low res of course), and this just proves this is one of those double line mode games (640xXXX). But now when I move there is no scanline effect on the gfx. (but the game look crap, don't think I need to scale it up for you for clarity)

The scanline effect happens on like... every 2nd frame, could it be this type of game needs to be played in like 25fps instead of the standard 50?.... or something?.

Anyway, anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks.

Last edited by Ironclaw; 31 May 2007 at 09:42.
Old 31 May 2007, 09:39   #2
Dizzy
Pirate

you got the cd from Damien

/Dizzy kick his own ass for being OT, sorry
Old 31 May 2007, 09:42   #3
Ironclaw
Banned

Got it from Hipoonios, as he is the one that wants me to record it... Guess maybe HE got it from Damien then (donno). This game is in the tosec aswell, but german I think, and no speech (at least I think it doesn't).
Old 31 May 2007, 09:50   #4
Dizzy
Pirate

I got one from undergroundgamers, dont know if it's the same.
But I could try install WinUAE and test it.
Old 31 May 2007, 10:52   #5
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Standard Amiga behaviour in Hires. Had it in Dark Seed for example or Eric Schwartz's animations.

Don't quite remember how to fix this one in the emu :/
Old 31 May 2007, 11:19   #6
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay
Standard Amiga behaviour in Hires. Had it in Dark Seed for example or Eric Schwartz's animations.

Don't quite remember how to fix this one in the emu :/
Darkseed had those scanlines, but I fixed it somehow... but Darkseed looked equally as good in lowres... which Big Red doesn't.
Old 31 May 2007, 11:26   #7
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw
Darkseed had those scanlines, but I fixed it somehow... but Darkseed looked equally as good in lowres... which Big Red doesn't.
IIRC Dark Seed was in 320x512 and BRA is in 640x512
Old 31 May 2007, 11:33   #8
Ironclaw
Banned

Some settings produces better results than others... I can get almost decent result.. like 1 scanline frame effect per 5 frames... but still not perfect.. I want NO scanline effect..

Toni, any ideas?.
Old 31 May 2007, 11:40   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Interlace combing. No fix available except by not using interlaced modes (and also already discussed here somewhere)
Old 31 May 2007, 11:45   #10
Ironclaw
Banned

How do I not use inerlaced modes as the game is ran from cli?... no WB loaded, just a standard cli... so.. ehm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay
IIRC Dark Seed was in 320x512 and BRA is in 640x512
Ehm... just tried Darkseed again and I remembered wrong. If I play it in double size (double line, ie 640xXXX) it has ugly scanlines all over, but no better picture, no loss in pixels, but instead a black line between every pixel horizontally.... Now I remember I recorded this game in lowres, 320xXXX as it looks best that way... and lowres can't handle x512 right?... then how is that explained that it looks identical to the double line mode, just without those damn black lines.... so 320xXXX is the best result, and also a perfect result. This was the floppy version though.

I havn't got the cd32 version here right now so can't try it again.. but in that one it was the same, to get rid of the nastly scanlines the game has to be played in lowres... but I then remember I had problem with those scanline effects on the moving gfxs in the game, like in BRA... but solved it somehow......... but that was a lowres game.. so guess I can fix the scanline effect on lowres games that has this problem.. but not in highres games like BRA.
Old 31 May 2007, 11:49   #11
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Than maybe try 640x256 for BRA?
Old 31 May 2007, 11:52   #12
Ironclaw
Banned

Tried it all .

Hmm... there must be a solution to the BRA problem... hmm...

If I use double line mode, but have the lowres checked, then the screen is short in width and I have scanline errors in the gfx when stuff moves.

If I use normal line mode, but have lowres UNCHECKED, then the screen (of course) is short in hight, but I have no scanline errors in the moving gfx.

But as this clearly is a 640xXXX game, I can't play in "normal line mode, no low res" as half the pixel lines is gone in horizontal.... arghh. hmmm

So it must be played in double line mode and lowres unchecked.. hmm....

Edit: apparently this game IS AGA, but it only says AmigaCD in HOL... should be AmigaCD/AGA, no?

Last edited by Ironclaw; 31 May 2007 at 12:04.
Old 31 May 2007, 12:10   #13
Ironclaw
Banned

Yay !, I'm on to something now .
Old 31 May 2007, 12:25   #14
Ironclaw
Banned

Ok, actually got something to work making no gfx errors in double line... but only lasted for a while.... and discovered a bug in WinUAE... I'm using 1.3.1 though, but havn't read about this bug so it's probably in the latest one aswell, donno.... but.

Immediate Blitter = on, FPS Adj = 50... the game run at normal speed. If I change the FPS Adj to 25 then press OK to return to the game, it should run at half the speed, but it doesn't... I have to go back to gui, then back to the game to make it change. And then if I want to get the right speed again and change it back to 50 and press ok, no change occurs intil I go back to the GUI then back to the game.. but this time the sound pitch is correct, but it's still in slowmotion.. so I untoggle Immidiate blitter and the game is still in slowmo.. if I change the FPS adj to higher than 50, pitch changes, but not the speed, it's still in slowmotion.... so if I change the fps to under 50 the sound sound speed is like x20 times as fast as original,... then I go back to gui, change back to 50 and press ok... no change.. so I go back to GUI and press ok.. NOW it's back to normal..... must be a bug .... don't bother installing the latest version... and this bug is no biggie... and I'm sure my above message is confusing..... AND I guess no logfiles is wanted as I don't run the latest version ....
Old 31 May 2007, 16:39   #15
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
you got the cd from Damien

/Dizzy kick his own ass for being OT, sorry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw
Got it from Hipoonios, as he is the one that wants me to record it... Guess maybe HE got it from Damien then (donno). This game is in the tosec aswell, but german I think, and no speech (at least I think it doesn't).
I do have this game but haven't had any requests for it or given to anyone