English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. Blitz Basic

Old 24 March 2022, 21:34   #1
aNdy/AL/COS

Library $FFFA

Odd one I can't solve...

When I install and run Blitz Basic (the ultimate version) virtually in WinUAE using a CF card as a hard drive, it's fine.

When I put the CF card in my real A1200, on running Blitz complains about a library not found $FFFA. I can then load and view code, but when trying to compile I get a similar message but this time $FFFD.

My virtual Amiga is the same as my real Amiga (A1200, 030, 16Mb).

Any ideas?
Old 24 March 2022, 21:53   #2
Honitos

Can you check with SnoopDOS, if the compiler can successfully load the file ACIDLIBS?
That files contains the most important blitzlibs that are necessary to startup.
Old 24 March 2022, 22:55   #3
aNdy/AL/COS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honitos View Post
Can you check with SnoopDOS, if the compiler can successfully load the file ACIDLIBS?
That files contains the most important blitzlibs that are necessary to startup.
I will sure do that and report back tomorrow.

But what's confusing me is this CF OS3.1 HD install will load, run and compile my Blitz game fine under WinUAE, but as soon as I put the CF card in my real A1200, it display the $FFFA message. Really odd!
Old 25 March 2022, 04:39   #4
thomas

MaxTransfer?
Old 26 March 2022, 00:00   #5
aNdy/AL/COS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
MaxTransfer?
Adjusting the MaxTransfer is good advice, I did that anyway so there are no future compatibility issues. But that didn't solve the problem.

I ran SnoopDos on my real A1200 and there were a few 'fails', but nothing glaringly obvious from a library point of view. See a photo at the bottom of this post. In fact, there is nothing different there than when the same CF card is used as a HD within WinUAE and Blitz runs fine.

When I put the CF cardback in my real Amiga, I ripped out the Blitz installation and tried a reinstall. The install kept hanging when trying to copy some fonts over from some examples folder or other (possibly something to do with RedShapeZ?). I then tried installing without letting it install any documentation or examples and it worked!

But then I realised that, because I was rushing, I'd installed it on my System partition. I ripped it all out again and did the same install (no docs or examples) to my Work partition and when running it fails again!

So for now, I installed on my System partition again so at least I can get some code done natively when required.

But I'm still none the wiser as to why the $FFFA library not found error pops up when the install is done to anything other than my System partition! Or why when it is installed on my Work partition it runs fine in WinUAE but not natively!

All very odd!

Old 26 March 2022, 01:27   #6
redblade
Zone Friend

What kickstart is your A1200? Kick3.0 or Kick3.1? (I don't think it will make any difference)

Have you tried disabling FastMEM and running the Blitz2 with just CHIP RAM? You may have to set Workbench to 4 colours for more memory?
Old 26 March 2022, 09:11   #7
aNdy/AL/COS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
What kickstart is your A1200? Kick3.0 or Kick3.1? (I don't think it will make any difference)
Have you tried disabling FastMEM and running the Blitz2 with just CHIP RAM? You may have to set Workbench to 4 colours for more memory?
A1200 is KS3.1. Workbench is a basic installation, 4 colours, hires screen, no icon packs or anything, etc. Do have a 1230 card with 16Mb. Have installed 030 libs and a few simple bits and pieces, but nothing that should have negative effects.

Will try disabling Fastmem later to see if that has any effect, thanks for the suggestion...

[EDIT] Disabling Fastmem made no difference.

Last edited by aNdy/AL/COS; 26 March 2022 at 12:28.
Old 26 March 2022, 22:04   #8
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNdy/AL/COS View Post
A1200 is KS3.1. Workbench is a basic installation, 4 colours, hires screen, no icon packs or anything, etc. Do have a 1230 card with 16Mb. Have installed 030 libs and a few simple bits and pieces, but nothing that should have negative effects.

Will try disabling Fastmem later to see if that has any effect, thanks for the suggestion...

[EDIT] Disabling Fastmem made no difference.
Thought maybe it could have been a RAM error, but if it's failing in CHIP RAM only as well, I don't know what it is. If your SnoopDOS results are the same both on A1200 and WinUAE, I don't know what it would be.

Maybe try running Enforcer because you have a 030? I'm guessing Bruce and Thomas can help you with that, I've never used it.
Old 27 March 2022, 11:42   #9
aNdy/AL/COS

To be honest, maybe I should just leave it since it works from my Sys: partition, but...

1) I'm not comfortable with it on my system partition, and...
2) I don't like unsolvable mysteries!

I may try Enforcer, or just ripping the 030 card out and seeing what happens on a plain vanilla A1200.

Thanks for suggestions everyone!
Old 28 March 2022, 19:29   #10
Honitos

This is really odd.

Maybe it is related to the cf-card-problem on A1200 that uses the same address-space for fast ram and the cf-card itself?
I don't believe the cause is in Blitz2 itself.
Old 28 March 2022, 21:19   #11
aNdy/AL/COS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honitos View Post
This is really odd.
Maybe it is related to the cf-card-problem on A1200 that uses the same address-space for fast ram and the cf-card itself? I don't believe the cause is in Blitz2 itself.
I agree, I'm beginning to think it's nothing Blitz related directly and something to do with some slight 'hardware' difference between my real A1200 and WinUAE setups, even though I've done my best to match them!

I'm leaving it be for now. Blitz works from my System partition and I won't be coding using it for hours at a time; it'll only be used for tweaks if I notice a bug when testing on real hardware.

Again, thanks to everyone for suggestions/help! Much appreciated!