English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 12 April 2022, 14:45   #1
enigma776
Bringer of Death

AmigaOS 3.2 & CAMD/MrMidi

I Have been trying to get this to work on AmigaOS 3.2 now for a while but nothing I works, is it even possible?

I have all the requirements to get it to work as I have it working fine in 3.1 but 3.2 just does not want to play ball. I use an Winuae and have set the midi out to a VirtualMidiSynth which works fine in 3.1 also. I can play midi internally via GMPlay just not through MrMidi/Camd. Anyone have an ideas or have it running?

MrMidi will open and I can set it all up no problems, go to load a midi file and it just says no song is loaded, even after selecting one.
Old 13 April 2022, 21:41   #2
AmiClassic

I only use GMPlay on my Amiga (WB 3.1), but it probably shouldn't make a difference.

Try assign drawer with midi files like this:
Code:
Assign MIDI: DHx:your drawer with midi files
Example:MrMIDI
Old 13 April 2022, 23:21   #3
AMIGASYSTEM

@enigma776

MrMidi on OS 3.2 works fine, see screenshot, probably you do not find the instruments of GMPlay or you have a library that does not work.

On WinUAE you don't have to set anything, the WinUAE settings are used only to play Midi with hardware support, that is using the PC audio card, in this case you don't need GMPlay which uses the software to play midi, but you use Multiview or Player suitable for this purpose, see attached video (the video shows AROS 68k but it works the same on OS3)

https://ftp2.grandis.nu/turran/FTP/T...s/PlayMidi.zip

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 08 November 2022 at 00:07.
Old 14 April 2022, 02:25   #4
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
@enigma776

MrMidi on OS 3.2 works fine, see screenshot, probably you do not find the instruments of GMPlay or you have a library that does not work.

On WinUAE you don't have to set anything, the WinUAE settings are used only to play Midi with hardware support, that is using the PC audio card, in this case you don't need GMPlay which uses the software to play midi, but you use Multiview or Player suitable for this purpose, see attached video (the video shows AROS 68k but it works the same on OS3)

http://eab.abime.net/zone/PlayMidi.zip
You still need to pass the midi through to the software midi which I use in windows in this case VirtualMIDISynth which is what is set to MIDI out in winuae, its the same as if I was using dosbox. The problem is it just don't want to work with 3.2, I go to load a midi file in MrMidi and it don't take it, as I said it just says no song is loaded
Old 14 April 2022, 07:05   #5
AMIGASYSTEM

No GMPlay does not use VirtualMIDISynth or other Midi settings on WinUAE, GMPlay uses its own musical instruments which are files.

Verify that you have all the instruments of GMplay, do you have any error messages?, what version of MrMidi do you have?

Try deleting all the settings from Env-Archive, restart the system and recreate the settings!

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 14 April 2022 at 07:51.
Old 14 April 2022, 14:08   #6
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:
No GMPlay does not use VirtualMIDISynth or other Midi settings on WinUAE, GMPlay uses its own musical instruments which are files.

Verify that you have all the instruments of GMplay, do you have any error messages?, what version of MrMidi do you have?

Try deleting all the settings from Env-Archive, restart the system and recreate the settings!
I don't have an issue with GMplay that works just fine, I am trying to get it to play via CAMD to an external midi synth, which I have now managed to get to work via Multiview and MidiDT but MrMidi still does not want to load a midi file, I tried MrCamd which I suspect I need to use instead of MrMidi but that has the same fault, refuses to load a midi file, I am unsure if its the file requester causing it in 3.2 or not though.
Old 15 April 2022, 03:09   #7
AMIGASYSTEM

MrCAMD works fine for me on OS3.2, rarely just some problems closing the program, this also happens with MrMIDI

Make sure you have installed "CAMD_Toolkit" and set the right paths for "PlayMF" and "SoftSynyth"

Also exists MrMPEG

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 07 May 2022 at 11:06.
Old 15 April 2022, 21:08   #8
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:
MrCAMD works fine for me on OS3.2, rarely just some problems closing the program, this also happens with MrMIDI

Make sure you have installed "CAMD_Toolkit" and set the right paths for "PlayMF" and "SoftSynyth"

Also exists MrMPEG
I had a breakthrough, I can get it to play midi if I drag and drop the file on to MrCAMD but the requester still refuses to load a midi file, so I know it now works as it should, just not when it comes to loading in files with the requester dialogue box so unsure if there is some compatibility there with 3.2 or not.
Old 16 April 2022, 02:16   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

For me the the requester with MrCAMD but also for MrMIDi works perfectly both from the Playlist and from the GUI of the Player, see attached video.

Check MUI installation, i use MUI 5

http://eab.abime.net/zone/MrCAMD.zip
Old 08 November 2022, 00:00   #10
hexaae
Bug hunter

If you use WinUAE on a PC, I highly recommend from Win side "Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth" + these 2 sound fonts: "SGM-V2.01" and "ColomboGMGS2 Soundfont" for a much improved software MIDI sound quality. Another level.

Can't find MrCAMD or MrMidi to test those tools. Where did you get them from?
Old 08 November 2022, 00:12   #11
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexaae View Post
If you use WinUAE on a PC, I highly recommend from Win side "Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth" + these 2 sound fonts: "SGM-V2.01" and "ColomboGMGS2 Soundfont" for a much improved software MIDI sound quality. Another level.

Can't find MrCAMD or MrMidi to test those tools. Where did you get them from?
I had them on CDs from those years, but you can also find them here:

https://dmyun.tripod.com/Downloads.html

I forgot, don't use the newer "camd40camd.library" because otherwise you won't get sound with Multiview and MrCAM
Old 08 November 2022, 00:17   #12
hexaae
Bug hunter

Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth
Direct link https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth
Anyway on Aminet there is also https://aminet.net/package/mus/midi/B5MIDI for those using Delitracker
Old 08 November 2022, 00:23   #13
AMIGASYSTEM

Thanks I had already found them, now I will try them !

EDIT:

Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth on Win7 requires Service Pack 1, I use Win7 standard

I on Winuae use Out "Microsoft GS Wavetable" In "SB Audigy MIDI IO 3000"

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 08 November 2022 at 01:00.
Old 08 November 2022, 01:02   #14
hexaae
Bug hunter

Here is a video with "Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth" and the soundbanks (sorry for convoluted bass excess... but you can get an idea) comparison
(standard Windows MIDI (Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth) at 0:00, starting VirtualMIDISynth after 2:15):
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by hexaae; 08 November 2022 at 01:26.
Old 08 November 2022, 01:14   #15
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes very good quality and you can hear it, as soon as I upgrade Win7 I will install it, SGM-V2.01.sf2 and GMGS2-SF2, you have to copy them to "C:\Windows\System32" ?
Old 08 November 2022, 01:18   #16
hexaae
Bug hunter

Quote:
Yes very good quality and you can hear it, as soon as I upgrade Win7 I will install it, SGM-V2.01.sf2 and GMGS2-SF2, you have to copy them to "C:\Windows\System32" ?
No, I never touch system dirs. Use something else like: C:\SoundFonts or whatever (you can choose the Soundfonts/banks with path in the configuration panel of VirtualMIDISynth).

It makes a HUGE difference also playing old games like Hexen, Doom 1/2, Duke3D etc. both on the AmigaOS ports supporting MIDI and the same game ports for Windows (using GZDoom etc.).
Old 08 November 2022, 02:17   #17
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexaae View Post
It makes a HUGE difference also playing old games like Hexen, Doom 1/2, Duke3D etc. both on the AmigaOS ports supporting MIDI and the same game ports for Windows (using GZDoom etc.).
Yep, unlike a few years ago we now have lots ports that support native MIDI on the classic Amiga....even Dune 2 has native MIDI support now

If you include games supported by ScummVM and DOSBox then you have hundreds.
Old 08 November 2022, 02:38   #18
hexaae
Bug hunter

Great work!