English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 19 January 2006, 09:49   #1
pvt_beano

Exclamation 6.4Gb Hard Drive in winuae

I've been trying for days now to format a real 6.4Gb hard drive in winuae and have had no luck. I've tried following the "SFS in WINUAE" guide in the FAQs section but this renders the disk useless and causes an error on startup. I then have to fix the drive in XP disk management or via FDISK. So I thought I'd stop being so greedy and just format it as either one big 4Gb partition or a 1Gb and two 1.5Gb partitions using the native FFS supplied with WB3.1......This doesn't work either. If I try one big partition I end up with a disk which WB reports to be a Non-Dos disk and won't let me format it, or, if I use multiple partitions, I can format the first two but not the third as it is reported to be Non-Dos.

Please, someone help me
Old 19 January 2006, 10:02   #2
thomas

Quote:
I've tried following the "SFS in WINUAE" guide in the FAQs section but this renders the disk useless and causes an error on startup.
Startup of what ? Windows or AmigaOS ? What do you mean by "useless" ? Did you get error messages ? Which ?

Quote:
I then have to fix the drive in XP disk management or via FDISK.
You cannot fix an AmigaOS drive with XP/FDisk. If you partition the disk with FDisk, you delete all Amiga partitions and if you use HDToolbox you delete all PC partitions. You cannot mix both. Partitioning the drive for AmigaOS makes it useless for Windows and vice versa.

FFS of WB3.1 cannot use partitions larger than 2GB and it can only access the first 4GB of the drive. So with your 1 + 1.5 + 1.5 combination you probably used more than 4GB (probably because of rounding errors). So make one 900MB and two 1.5GB partitions and it probably will work.

Get Check4GB from Aminet to check if your partitioning works correctly.
Old 19 January 2006, 10:05   #3
pvt_beano

Quote:
Startup of what ? Windows or AmigaOS ? What do you mean by "useless" ? Did you get error messages ? Which ?
Sorry, I didn't make that very clear. What I meant is that when I start WB the drive is not recognised and I get an error (sorry didn't note the code) and gives me a suspend or cancel choice.

Quote:
You cannot fix an AmigaOS drive with XP/FDisk. If you partition the disk with FDisk, you delete all Amiga partitions and if you use HDToolbox you delete all PC partitions. You cannot mix both. Partitioning the drive for AmigaOS makes it useless for Windows and vice versa.
What I meant by fix, is delete the partitions in XP in order to get WB to start again (from floppy) and try the partitioning process again in WB. Should have made myself a little clearer.

Sorry.