English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 28 September 2004, 21:11   #1
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Greg Norman's Ultimate Golf (aka Shark Attack) - Title tune corruption

Well, is this appallingly corrupted title tune the consequence of a bad crack (the only one available is the Quartex crack!) or did some original versions have the same bug?

Or is the QTX crack a 95% preview and not the final version?
Well, test yourself (on the real thing of course!)
This is *NOT* a WinUAE bug.

With a lot of help of an EAB user and Unexotica, I could fix the tune and jockey it back into the root directory, to its original place. I zone'd this version again until we might have an alternative crack (if it exists) from someone or a bug-free WHD install.

Last edited by andreas; 28 September 2004 at 21:18.
Old 29 September 2004, 04:06   #2
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Bored Seal has patched the game and it's on the WHDLoad site as "Ultimate Golf". In the readme he says the music was overwritten by the data on the disk hence the music bug.

Is there any difference between Ultimate Golf and Greg Norman's Ultimate Golf other than the name? Currently there are 2 HOL entries when it should perhaps just be an AKA. If the music has been fixed I'm sure Bored will fix up the install or I can have a look at doing that.
Old 29 September 2004, 15:27   #3
andreas
Zone Friend

Sorry ... I came up with nothing because I looked for "Greg Norman's ... "

Thanks for the pointer
Ahh he writes that music is DISABLED because it collided with data.
(This also proves that it's NOT the crackers' fault, because he got an original disk image sent by a kind contributor.

Well this could indeed fix up the install by simply taking the 100% working file from Unexotica and include it into the install.

Last edited by andreas; 29 September 2004 at 15:32.
Old 03 October 2004, 17:18   #4
andreas
Zone Friend

OK, I've just written a short note to Bored.

@everybody
Is it really so that *ALL* of the originals have broken title music?
I can hardly believe that; since how could it be possible then that the tune on Unexotica is 100% perfect?
Old 03 October 2004, 21:51   #5
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

I haven't looked at the game but what I expect is that the music module is say 120k in length (approx $20000 bytes), and the game loads it to some address like $30000 and then loads a picture at $48000 thus destroying a part of the music in memory. The file itself on disk is fine, but the game loads it into a stupid location.
Old 03 October 2004, 22:26   #6
andreas
Zone Friend

OK ... so Don Adan found this file, confirmed it 100% working, and sent it to Unexotica. Thanks ... this makes sense indeed.
Old 07 October 2004, 04:31   #7
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
Is there any difference between Ultimate Golf and Greg Norman's Ultimate Golf other than the name? Currently there are 2 HOL entries when it should perhaps just be an AKA.
They're one and the same. I've fixed the HOL entry to reflect this.
Old 13 May 2021, 23:29   #8
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
Bored Seal has patched the game and it's on the WHDLoad site as "Ultimate Golf". In the readme he says the music was overwritten by the data on the disk hence the music bug.

Old thread but as I have just updated the Ultimate Golf patch and fixed the problem with the title tune I can say that the problem was caused by the complete removal of the manual protection. The copperlist for the manual protection disables (i.e. never triggers) copper interrupts which in turn allows the game to load its main binary over the tune data and replayer. By completely skipping the manual protection screen, copper interrupts were triggered which made the replayer code crash when the main game was loaded which was the reason Bored Seal disabled the music replayer completely.