English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: Would you pay for a new Amiga game? If yes, how much?
No thanks 9 11.54%
20$ 52 66.67%
40$ 12 15.38%
60$ 1 1.28%
80$ 4 5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 April 2017, 18:13   #61
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot
In those communities, the artists/coders/musicians make the games because they have genuine pleasure in doing them.
Of course, if one expects to make a living with Amiga development then one may be disappointed, but if one expects to supplement their income with the profits from selling their artwork then I don't see any reason why this cannot happen.

And as an artist don't you want to reach the largest audience who might be appreciative of your work? Regardless if they've even heard of some obscure computer platform which was dead years before they were born hmmmm?
Old 12 April 2017, 19:15   #62
viddi

@PortuguesePilot:

I don't see the point.
Sales are good and feedback is mostly great.
Old 12 April 2017, 19:35   #63
McTrinsic

I bought ToG and liked it.
Old 12 April 2017, 19:38   #64
Graham Humphrey

I think it's a bit much to expect every game that charges money to be a (I hate this phrase) 'AAA' game comparable with The Chaos Engine or whatever. Let's be honest, the vast vast majority of games (professionally made or otherwise) on the Amiga back in the day don't match up to that and they were still published. And The Chaos Engine was produced by a team working full-time, at the top of their game and it still took them, what, over a year to produce? So it's a bit unrealistic. I have bought Tanks Furry, Reshoot, Tales of Gorluth I and II and don't regret any of them. It wasn't that much money (Reshoot was probably a bit more expensive, though, to be fair), I've got a physical product to keep on my shelf and I've got some enjoyment out of them to varying degrees - 'AAA'? No but I had a good time anyway. Of course, it's personal choice and opinion, and that's fine - not everyone will enjoy them or think they're worth the money but I think they've sold suitably well enough to justify the effort.

I suspect by 'AAA' you (and many others) actually mean 'commercial quality graphics, sound, Amiga trickery and programmed in pure assembler', which is all well and good but I've always judged games based on the games themselves and not all the fancy techy stuff (as lovely as it is). I really enjoyed the TOG games - I reviewed them both for Amiga Future (I did pay for them myself like anyone else by the way) and got a lot of fun out of them, to the extent that I lost an entire Saturday night in the middle of the summer playing the original, without realising I'd done so until I checked the time and it was 1am. Yes, Backbone is limiting, bugged and full of various irritating quirks we all know about but the quality of the design, story and general atmosphere transcended that (for me, at least). The effort put in to it is very obvious.

As for free games... we're getting more of these, slowly I admit, and the quality is slowly increasing, on the whole. But they're the same as what we called PD back in the day, so why people compare them to commercial games from the Amiga's peak is beyond me. And I hope the people who are getting involved - whatever tools they use - enjoy it and are keen to keep improving, as that's the only way we'll eventually see standards raise, I reckon.

Now I must get the ball rolling on my new project...
Old 12 April 2017, 19:38   #65
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrinsic View Post
I bought ToG and liked it.
Both parts? I prefer the second part.
Old 12 April 2017, 20:12   #66
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I would pay for a new Amiga game, but not just any old crap. I don't really care about a physical floppy or the box, when most would be happy with a digital download.

In all honesty, anything priced over £10 isn't likely to get much interest unless its a current title that is making waves on other modern platforms.

Less than £10 for a digital download, and most people have expendable money where £10 is no big problem, but it has to be of a quality like Solid Gold.
Old 13 April 2017, 18:43   #67
Selur

Quote:
Originally Posted by viddi View Post
Both parts? I prefer the second part.

Well there are peoples who thinks ToG and others BB stuff are not really "games" and there are many of them.

So if u want to know whats is true, better just make anonymous survey about backbones stuff, because people don't want to say it loud.
(except me ofcourse, because I always said that BB is crapp)

Touting poor, rubbish amiga software will not change the reality.
Old 13 April 2017, 20:15   #68
viddi

Haha!

No need to speak for others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selur View Post
Well there are
peoples who thinks ToG and others BB stuff are not really "games" and there are many of them.

So if u want to know whats is true, better just make anonymous survey about backbones stuff, because people don't want to say it loud.
(except me ofcourse, because I always said that BB is crapp)

Touting poor, rubbish amiga software will not change the reality.
Old 13 April 2017, 20:25   #69
McTrinsic

As I said I liked it.

This is why I posted it - I paid money for a new Amiga release.

Had I not had hardware-issues ever then I would have also bought ToG II and maybe others such as Reshoot,...
Old 13 April 2017, 20:32   #70
viddi

Thank you for your support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrinsic View Post
As I said I liked it.

This is why I posted it - I paid money for a new Amiga release.

Had I not had hardware-issues ever then I would have also bought ToG II and maybe others such as Reshoot,...
Old 13 April 2017, 20:41   #71
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by viddi View Post
Haha!

No need to speak for others!
Don't worry about Selur's comments viddi...

He constantly bashes Backbone games (and has been pulled up about it numerous times)

The irony here is that he's been involved with a few; one example is Total Pattern

...talk about the pot calling the kettle black

None of the games he's been involved with are anywhere close to the standard / quality of your games...
Old 13 April 2017, 20:45   #72
Seiya

ahah, you have to pay me to buy an Amiga game
Old 13 April 2017, 22:05   #73
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
ahah, you have to pay me to buy an Amiga game
Old 13 April 2017, 22:40   #74
Selur

Quote:
None of the games he's been involved with are anywhere close to the standard / quality of your games...

There are some most advanced amiga games ever like this
[ Show youtube player ]
or
[ Show youtube player ]

most advanced
Old 13 April 2017, 22:51   #75
viddi

Selur:

You´re my hero! Thanks for showing my first BB attempts from 2009.

@DamienD:

Thanks mate.
Old 13 April 2017, 23:18   #76
Selur

why there is still no amiga games like 90's ?

Because graphicians and musicians trying making games and coders doing graphics and music... little gamedev nonsense

so I have and idea...

You are musician, so how about stop making 'games' in BB and help others developers/coders by making good music.

For example
AlarCity - good engine needs music and better graphics
Reshoot - good engine needs better graphics
etc.
Old 13 April 2017, 23:27   #77
viddi

My ideas:

Stop ranting about my two commercially successful Action Adventures

and

find a team and produce a huge Action RPG full of riddles, boss fights, maps, great gfx and music...in two languages...I did this in ONE year (ToGII)

Good luck. I´ll buy it...or let´s produce an assembler driven TOGIII together. What do you think?

Quote:

Because graphicians and musicians trying making games and coders doing graphics and music... little gamedev nonsense

so I have and idea...

You are musician, so how about stop making 'games' in BB and help others developers/coders by making good music.

For example
etc.

Last edited by viddi; 13 April 2017 at 23:50.
Old 14 April 2017, 00:05   #78
Amiga1992

Old 14 April 2017, 00:08   #79
eXeler0

Quote:

so I have and idea...

For example
etc.
Thing is, doing proper pixel art (Think Bitmap brothers quality) is very time consuming and unless you are doing this full time you are going to cut some corners.
Gfx guys these days use Photoshop, paint in 24bit then do the palette conversion (down to 8bit or less) as a last step. It makes sense time wise, but you lose a lot of control over your palette and it almost never looks good.
Back in the day when I did pixel graphics, a lot of the time spent was to get a properly optimized palette. "Every color swatch motivated, no colors wasted" -mentality..
Old 14 April 2017, 00:24   #80
Selur

Yea one year for true action RPG not a "look-like RPG" (even great Dragonstone is not RPG, only looks like RPG) is not much time but it's possible.
Everything depends on design and coder's skill. If there is (on EAB) a skilled coder and will code it then ToG 3 became and true RPG, otherwise it will be another imitation like many (not only BB) games.
I think even in Blitz Basic with some simple asm routines it would be possible but coder is required mostly.
Any coders ?