English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 02 November 2012, 21:54   #1
bill-rhit

Amiga Coverdisks - How were they attached?

All:

I am learning about AMIGA and the various magazines and coverdisks. I have seen many pictures of the magazines and they usually have a little disk shaped part that says "If the disk is missing, ask the newstand". My question is, how were those disks originally attached? Were they just put on there with sticky tac? Was there a clear plastic over them that secured them to the magazine cover? Was there some piece of paper over it that secured it to the cover but blocked you from seeing the actual label of the disk?

Thanks for all your help! I am hoping to find a magazine still in its original state and want to know what to look for.

Old 02 November 2012, 21:57   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

Sellotape
Old 02 November 2012, 22:04   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Originally, they were inserted in transparent polythene bags which were folded over at the top and fixed to the magazine cover with transparent sticky tape which was difficult to remove without ripping the print from the magazine.

Later, the polythene bags were replaced with cellophane bags, which were heat-sealed and fixed to the magazine cover with lines of "sticky-tac" organic glue - a vast improvement, except that it became easier to remove the disks from the magazine cover without buying it.
Old 02 November 2012, 22:25   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

There was some reason to use no-name disks?
Old 02 November 2012, 23:20   #5
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Probably a cheaper option at the bulk duplicators? You never see an original game using a name brand disk with a logo on the aluminium sliding part.

I think the newsagent used to cellotape the disks to the magazines. Because at some newsagents you had to ask for the disks when buying the magazine. A couple of times my newsagent sold me extra disks from previous issues or from other magazines as well as the ones I was entitled to.

But like prowler said at one point they started to use that rubbery glue which they still used for CDs on later PC/xbox/playstation magazines.
Old 02 November 2012, 23:53   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
I think the newsagent used to cellotape the disks to the magazines. Because at some newsagents you had to ask for the disks when buying the magazine. A couple of times my newsagent sold me extra disks from previous issues or from other magazines as well as the ones I was entitled to.
Unsold magazines don't have to be returned complete to the publisher for the newsagent to get credit for them. All that is required is the front cover, so this is how your newsagent was able to supply you with those extra disks. (He should have given them to you, though. Strictly speaking, it's illegal for them to be sold, and some stallholders have been busted at computer fairs in the UK for selling these old coverdisks and CDs. In a few cases, they were said to have been obtained by raiding newsagents' wastebins.)
Old 03 November 2012, 00:27   #7
bill-rhit

Thanks so much to all for the quick and informative responses.

Do anyone have a picture of an issue with the disk still in the orignal attachment they could share with me, or perhaps own one they would be willing to photograph? I could send you my email address if so. Thanks!

Old 03 November 2012, 15:11   #8
Jonathan Drain

I remember CU Amiga used to print images of the disk on the front of the magazine, in the position where they were taped. When they stopped doing this, someone wrote in and complained because he used to copy the coverdisks for backup and cut out the labels on the cover to stick on his copies.

Did the coverdisks always come in bags? I remember later CU Amiga coverdisks did (I still have some in bags from when a lot of coverdisks required high-end Amiga or at least an A1200), but I forget if the old ones came in bags.
Old 03 November 2012, 15:55   #9
-Acid-

I loved it when it went to rubberish glue for the cd editions, made peeling them off the cover much easier and also the glue would come off the jewel case in one lump and leave no residue on it, so when you put it down it didn't stick to your desk etc.
Old 04 November 2012, 04:50   #10
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Originally, they were inserted in transparent polythene bags which were folded over at the top and fixed to the magazine cover with transparent sticky tape which was difficult to remove without ripping the print from the magazine.

Later, the polythene bags were replaced with cellophane bags, which were heat-sealed and fixed to the magazine cover with lines of "sticky-tac" organic glue - a vast improvement, except that it became easier to remove the disks from the magazine cover without buying it.
Ha! Exactly right! Brings back memories!

Also, it wasn't uncommon to get a disk that didn't work. Very annoying!
Old 14 November 2012, 20:55   #11
narud17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-rhit View Post
Do anyone have a picture of an issue with the disk still in the orignal attachment they could share with me, or perhaps own one they would be willing to photograph? I could send you my email address if so. Thanks!
I recently came accross a number of amiga mags with thier cover disks still attatched if that's what you're interested in. I can post scans.

Last edited by prowler; 14 November 2012 at 21:42. Reason: Added quote after copying post here.
Old 15 November 2012, 01:21   #12
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Slightly off topic but WHSmiths Warehouse/Distrobution Centre used to bin 1000's of Mags, me and my friend used to go and raid the skips for them, cover Disks and all... back in the day (we were about 13/14 at the time)

Was sad to see all that paper & plastic going to land fill although of course we were the ones breaking the law!

Occasionally we were lucky enough to find
Old 15 November 2012, 02:50   #13
Jonathan Drain

I like how you hoked through bins for Amiga magazines and found accidentally, as opposed to the other way around
Old 22 November 2012, 03:12   #14
bill-rhit

Quote:
Originally Posted by narud17 View Post
I recently came accross a number of amiga mags with thier cover disks still attatched if that's what you're interested in. I can post scans.
That would be very much appreciated. Thanks. Just a couple will suffice.

Old 30 November 2012, 05:33   #15
Mark_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Slightly off topic but WHSmiths Warehouse/Distrobution Centre used to bin 1000's of Mags, me and my friend used to go and raid the skips for them, cover Disks and all... back in the day (we were about 13/14 at the time)

Occasionally we were lucky enough to find
lol sounds like good times!
Old 02 December 2012, 18:57   #16
barkingboy
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
There was some reason to use no-name disks?
I remember occasionally getting some that were branded in the mid 90s (possibly with issues of Amiga User International), some even had the Commodore logo on!

Also, some were "recycled" and had different labels under the magazine ones. I guess the publishers found a cheap source from somewhere
Old 02 December 2012, 19:06   #17
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, top-right disk here http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/a...7/STA70004.jpg
Old 27 December 2012, 14:43   #18
merlin1968

My mate 'Kung-Fu Kev' used to work for Bussels the magazine distributor in Derby and it was his job to process all the old magazines for re-cycling.

Of course he would remove all the disks from Amiga and Atari mags and we would use them as blanks or for mail traiding.

Brings back fond memories... We developed a method of resting the disk, label down, on an electric oil filled radiator. The glue on the label would melt and we could easily peel them off.
Old 05 February 2013, 14:48   #19
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

ah. those where the days.

Now there all up on EAB
Old 10 February 2013, 10:41   #20
Mark_C

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Sudden wave of nostalgia from looking at that jpeg. So many memories!