English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 12 May 2002, 03:14   #1
oldpx

off topic:

@mods,RCK
This "//admin:" message is becoming as annoying as a signature don't you think? How about PMing people if there's need for warning?

Old 12 May 2002, 12:54   #2
RCK
Administrator

Exclamation

I'm totally agree.

>> Signature will be deleted.
>> PM with warning text will be sent.
Old 12 May 2002, 16:12   #3
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
This "//admin:" message is becoming as annoying as a signature don't you think? How about PMing people if there's need for warning?
Jesus f*cking Christ...
How about stopping having a bee in the bonnet about small innocent signatures and just ignore them?
But as the philosophers know, the most easy way to go is mostly the way nobody wants to go. Could happen to be too simple, couldn't it.
Old 12 May 2002, 18:32   #4
oldpx

Quote:
How about stopping having a bee in the bonnet about small innocent signatures and just ignore them?
I just think the same but the rules don't seem to change soon, maybe we should make a poll and see if anyone is annoyed at all. I'm not.

Old 12 May 2002, 20:04   #5
RCK
Administrator

No, signature won't be allowed.

It is already a hard job to keep the board fast by cleaning / merging / splitting / classified old threads, I don't want to have to clean them each time I work on the EAB's database.

Moreover, they are useless for our readers and doesn't improve the threads' reading.
Old 12 May 2002, 20:08   #6
Ian
Global Moderator

Would you really say your name after everything you said?? Or say "Amiga For-Eva"

No, hmm, I didn't think you would.
Old 13 May 2002, 03:01   #7
andreas
Zone Friend

Red face

After my post is finished, YES SIR!
Of course I would. That's MY post, so I sign with MY name. And only MY name and no ads and no ... whatever.
Just my name. I hate those ugly lines followed by signatures. That's some kind of formal business visiting card style. Eeeoowwgh. And for example, everyone who hates this line would never sign with those "on-off-switchable" signatures, but with direct ones. So would a lot of other guys.
And again: one name is NO SPAM.
My opinion, por favor. And nothing to rave about. Just my opinion.

OMG, we dumb-founded people worry about signatures and there are things like:
*) lots of threat in the Middle East
*) psychotic schoolkids who kill dozens of innocent teachers
*) recovery programs for Afghanistan with questionable success

That's IM-POR-TANT. (tm)
That's what even might influence OUR lives (think about impendent HUGE refugee streams if the situation gets worse than it is now!)

So p-l-e-a-s-e, for Heaven's and Christ's sake, leave those bleeding signature things alone.
I didn't want to say this, but it's really getting ridiculous now.
-OVER-

Last edited by andreas; 13 May 2002 at 03:17.
Old 13 May 2002, 04:09   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Ah, this topic again. I see it's been split, too. Good job. Now it's time for my take on this. When this whole breakout over the sigs happened a couple of days ago, I was rather chuffed at the attack at moderators doing their job and how annoyed this made some people. I assure you it is more annoying dealing with newbies who simply won't read rules or read messages to get the feel of the place before jumping into the same tired territory as the last newbie. The bottom line: there are rules. You don't toss out rules because new users refuse to read them (nor read constant alerts in EVERY one of their messages!) It's not like doing maintenance is our recreation!

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
After my post is finished, YES SIR!
Of course I would. That's MY post, so I sign with MY name. And only MY name and no ads and no ... whatever.
Just my name. I hate those ugly lines followed by signatures.
Then maybe you should petition removing the line/bar from the sigs? I thought the sig issue was unusual when I first came on board here (back when I had thè Twîstiñº Çhö§t at the bottom of all of my posts), but I adjusted. Now, every time I see sigs on other boards, it's just looks like such useless redundancy.

Additionally, as soon as I see sigs under people's names here when reading messages, I know I am logged out somehow (because I have them turned off in my UserCP) so it serves another purpose, as well.
Old 13 May 2002, 05:59   #9
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I agree with Twistin, there are rules, and they aren't there just for the sake of existing.

And it's true, after I begun to "hang out" around here, the other boards all seem really ugly and messed up.
Old 13 May 2002, 20:46   #10
andreas
Zone Friend

Agree at this point, but it's not the most important thing of the world. That's what it appears to me, after having followed various threads, rants and .. err ... discussions about it.
And if it happens once with a newbie, SO WHAT? :eek
You drop him a PM and he knows where he's at. But you don't pollute his post by inserting this silly //admin: blah-yadda stuff. Being doomed to see it done at this extent as recently means for me that there seems nothing more important than signatures.
Come on now.

Quote:
Then maybe you should petition removing the line/bar from the sigs?
Nope. The majority seem to like it, so leave it in. But as I don't want to use it, I put my name directly under my post.

Last edited by andreas; 13 May 2002 at 20:53.
Old 14 May 2002, 01:00   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
Agree at this point, but it's not the most important thing of the world. That's what it appears to me, after having followed various threads, rants and .. err ... discussions about it.
And if it happens once with a newbie, SO WHAT? :eek
You drop him a PM and he knows where he's at. But you don't pollute his post by inserting this silly //admin: blah-yadda stuff. Being doomed to see it done at this extent as recently means for me that there seems nothing more important than signatures.
Come on now.
I think you are exaggering this way out of proportion. Nobody has said, nor is acting like this is the most important thing in the world. Nor has anybody said nor suggested anything even close to "doomed" or that nothing is more important. It's clear that this bothers you a great deal, but there's no point in resorting to hyperbole such as this!
Old 14 May 2002, 02:25   #12
oldpx

Actually, there's a probably false assumption that eab users are bothered by signatures by a great deal. I really would like to know the percentage of eab users who are annoyed by signatures. It's just not -that- important, relax and take it easy guys.

Old 14 May 2002, 04:43   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I think the more important fact is that it is RCK's board and his call.

And anyway, I thought this was already decided that PM's would be sent in place of the Admin insert bit, so why is this still being discussed?
Old 14 May 2002, 08:03   #14
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Also remember that this board is designed to allow people to read the Amiga postings as quickly and easily as possible.

If someone doesn't have a lot of time (and there are a lot of postings to read here), then they don't want to have to sift through a lot of junk after every single post - idiotic poetry, stupid quotes, elite speak etc.

We don't have to read a lot of pop-up adverts on the EAB, so why should we have to read some personal statement after every post?
Old 14 May 2002, 08:16   #15
Walker

Cody, you forgot to sign your post with "Cody". I mean, I see your name and avatar to the left, but it COULD be that someone is using your ID. Shape up.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to add my n[SNIP]
Old 14 May 2002, 14:03   #16
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Sigs make a forum/page look ugly, and makes it extremely difficult to distinguish between the actual message and the sig.

Avoid them like plague, please! Its like Internet junk mail.
Old 14 May 2002, 15:25   #17
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Signature disgust me. They are redundant, wasteful, silly, and I NEVER frequent forums polluted by them. I love the way RCK has made this a golden rule.
Old 14 May 2002, 17:31   #18
blackcornflake

Well, okay! Very interesting reading. Never knew passions ran so high.

I take it the objects of derision are both 'direct' and EAB UserCP-friendly signatures, then.

I can see how the insertion of signatures everywhere might make a thread look untidy, and thus less easy to follow. Seems logical enough.

Confused though: if they are such a bugbear, why are they available for members to use? When I registered, the first thing I did was customise my profile. A signature seemed to be promoted as a good thing to have, to go along with an avatar and title.

Not wanting to contribute to cyber-pollution, I hereby retire my own signature. For those with sigs turned off in their UserCP, it went: "All-Time Guardian Champ". And it is true, too.
Old 14 May 2002, 18:09   #19
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

They aren't a problem if we don't have to see them! If someone wants to add a signature in the EAB User Control Panel, then great. Then they don't bother me, because I've turned them off and everyone is happy.