English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 03 April 2013, 13:26   #1
trydowave

connecting Amiga500 to an old amp and speakers. Problems

Hi all.
I recently got hold of an old amp, a 1978 Sanyo DCX6000k and a pair of 1979 Tangent TM3 speakers. I got hold of them from different places so I’m not sure if the amp is too powerful or if the speakers aren't powerful enough etc. Very little info out there on the interwebs.

The thing sounds great when selecting FM radio. It has that beautiful deep warm stereo sound that I used to love. But when I connect anything to the phono inputs on the back the sound becomes a bit crappy. My ipod is a bit muffled and crumby. I can adjust the volume from the ipod though so I can clear up some of the distortion. I understand this could be a fault of the ipod sound processor or the way the mp3s were encoded.

The main problem arises when I connect my Commodore Amiga500. The sound is terribly distorted? It gets very loud even when turning it up a tiny amount and even at this low level it sounds too loud (distorted bas, crackling etc) . Trouble is I can't control the volume from the amiga end.

The phono connections might be busted. Or any other part of the amp, considering it was made in 78.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tony
Old 03 April 2013, 14:09   #2
ajk

Have you checked that the speaker elements themselves are intact? The surrounds are often disintegrated on older ones and need to be replaced. Though if the tuner sounds good even at higher volumes that's probably not the reason.

Maybe the phono input just amplifies the signal too much, being intended for a vinyl player. Use another input if there is one (tape, AUX), or attenuate the signal from the Amiga in some way.
Old 03 April 2013, 14:12   #3
trydowave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
Have you checked that the speaker elements themselves are intact? The surrounds are often disintegrated on older ones and need to be replaced. Though if the tuner sounds good even at higher volumes that's probably not the reason.

Maybe the phono input just amplifies the signal too much, being intended for a vinyl player. Use another input if there is one (tape, AUX), or attenuate the signal from the Amiga in some way.
All inputs sound the same. I did manage to create some messy hack job by running stereo leads from the amiga to a 3.5mm jack input on a pair of cheap pc speakers. Then a 3.5mm jack headphone out stereo leads. IT isn't pretty (and has some slight buzzing) but it at least allows me to control the volume of the Amiga before it goes into the amp.
Old 03 April 2013, 14:56   #4
john1979

It's one of several things

1. You are running your output through the amps phono (for vinyl) stage. This would definitely sound like distortion. Isn't there a separate tape monitor/aux input on the amp you can use?
2. There's something wrong with the line inputs on the amp
3. There's something wrong with the speakers? Do you have any other speakers you can test?

I'd say no. 1 is most likely. Use the tape monitor input and see if it's any better.

EDIT: Read the thread better. Probably an issue with amp or speakers, but you should make sure to always use the aux input if there is one. BTW that amp looks just like my old Pioneer, same knobs and buttons.
Old 03 April 2013, 15:10   #5
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

so this is actually a receiver and not just an amp? the speakers are alright, since they sound fine when listening to FM. If it's just an amp, use the radio input for the amiga, as that seems to be alright as well..

try to find an input where it sounds alright, using another sound source where you know the levels are alright.. If that doesn't work out, I bet the electrolytic caps in the amp's input circuits are dried out and are causing the distortion..

.. and as mentioned above, stay away from the phono input ;-)
Old 04 April 2013, 00:03   #6
trydowave

Hi. It’s a receiver amp. Here’s a link to what it looks like:
http://www.hificlassic.ee/index.php?...=14&print=true

It was indeed the phono input. The tape one works correctly. The Aux is busted though. I tell ya, along with the Tangent speakers it sounds absolutely amazing. This thing was built in the late 70s and it pisses all over all my 5.1 sound systems.

Last edited by trydowave; 04 April 2013 at 00:12.
Old 04 April 2013, 08:41   #7
tesla

As you have found out:

Phono input is designed for a very low-level signal, and will distort any line-level signal fed into it. Line input is the correct one to use as mentioned earlier.

Last edited by tesla; 07 April 2013 at 15:21.
Old 04 April 2013, 09:43   #8
zipper

And phono has a RIAA correction which equalizes the frequency totally unsuitable for other sources than a phono cartridge.
Old 04 April 2013, 11:14   #9
john1979

And if you got it recapped it would sound almost like when it was new
Old 04 April 2013, 17:47   #10
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Im no audiophile but I would defo take that kit over some cruddy all-in-one stack hifi thing from Currys lol!

I used to have some crazily powered seperates... Had a huge pair of Thorn EMI speakers that were just OTT and made our place rumble lol

I also had a sony amp that was the most beautiful thing ever! Had VU meters, large volume dial in the centre and all finished in thick aluminum. Wish I could get the same kit again