English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 10 August 2022, 11:03   #1
8bitsten

WHDLoad - save files location for or transferring them and party transfer (Ishar)

Hi,

Where the games are physically saved please after ending the game? Can those be extracted? There are two reasons I am asking that question:

1) Is it possible to get the files and send them to someone else, i.e. transfer the 'save' files?
2) Some games (Ishar is among them) allow the party transfer between games in the game series (Ishar I -> Ishar II -> Ishar III), which is a procedure that requires the 'save' file from Ishar 1 to be copied to Ishar 2 (see e.g. here https://www.gog.com/forum/ishar_compilation/problem_ishar_1_party_to_ishar_2_file_not_found)

Thanks a lot
STeN
Old 10 August 2022, 12:09   #2
paul1981

In the game directory as standard, and this could be named anything...so look at file dates. Some may be whole disk images.
Alternatively, you can edit the WHDPrefs.file (stored in S:) and have the saves go wherever you fancy (easy for transferring them elsewhere between machines etc). If you remove the colon from the beginning of the 'SavePath=...' option it will then save them to SYS:WHDSaves. Of course, you must then create a SYS:WHDSaves drawer for it to work! But you can point the saves to wherever you fancy by editing this path. Each save will be stored in a subdirectory (of the game name) in this path.

http://www.whdload.de/docs/WHDLoad.prefs

Last edited by paul1981; 10 August 2022 at 12:14.
Old 10 August 2022, 13:11   #3
8bitsten

Hi @paul1981,

I found all I looked for... Thanks for the reply. I should first make more research before posting a question.

The party transfer from Ishar I to Ishar II using the SAV file works perfectly.

I have played Ishar 1 over the last week again after more than 25 years and it is still great... I have just finished it and I recommend it to every Amiga RPG fan.

Warm Tear!
STeN

Old 11 August 2022, 09:45   #4
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I guess now with save states I should give Ishar 1 another go. I never liked the mechanic of having to pay a hefty sum to save.
Old 18 August 2022, 14:01   #5
8bitsten

>> I guess now with save states I should give Ishar 1 another go. I never liked the mechanic of having to pay a hefty sum to save.

@gimbal: Those are pennies. As soon as you will reach the "Urshurak" city, just use the north gate go to the "Silmatil", kill barbarians and take all money, cross borders back to "Urshurak" and return immediately to "Silmatil", new barbarians are there... every time you kill them you get money. Do that 20-40 times and you will have more money than you can spend.

Here is a great interactive map: https://www.oldgames.sk/docs/ishar/1/map.php

Ishar 1 is worth playing again. Dungeons are poor, to be honest (that applies to all Ishars), but the graphic, atmosphere, and outdoor landscape are fantastic. The only game which has an outdoor location with a similar atmosphere was the raining scenery of Dungeon Master II... Or was there some other crawler with such great outdoor locations? Any tip/suggestion?

The lore of the game is also great - you met old party members from Crystals of Arborea, and there is Targhan from another Silmaril game...

Bye
STeN
Old 19 August 2022, 09:19   #6
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitsten View Post
was there some other crawler with such great outdoor locations? Any tip/suggestion?
Depends of taste and config:
Abandoned Places
Abandoned Places II
Evil's Doom (AGA)
Knightmare
Legacy (demo)
LoA: Blade of Destiny
Old 19 August 2022, 10:13   #7
8bitsten

Quote:
Abandoned Places
Abandoned Places II
Evil's Doom (AGA)
Knightmare
Legacy (demo)
LoA: Blade of Destiny
Yesterday 14:01
@Solo Kazuki Great list, thanks! I thought I have played almost all major crawlers, but some of this list I do not know:
  • Legacy I played on a Symbian phone (see here) ~15 years ago, but I prefer pixel art graphics
  • RoA is great! The whole trilogy is fantastic. I played it on MS-DOS back in 90s... The golden era of dungeons. But again I missed there the pixel art - the same applies to e.g. Betrayal in Krondor or Ravenloft, both are great games, but the 3D engine lacks the fairytale/fantasy atmosphere.
  • Knightmare and Abandoned Places I have never played - I will check it once I finish the Ishar trilogy.
  • Evil's Doom I have never heard about... I must check it. Google says one of the last "big" games for Amiga, well that's sad. Might be it's time to do one more big crawler

Thanks!
STeN
Old 22 August 2022, 16:22   #8
TommyTomorrow

Might & Magic II
Might & Magic III
Old 23 August 2022, 17:30   #9
8bitsten

Quote:
Might & Magic II
Might & Magic III
@TommyTomorrow The New World Computing was a legendary studio as well as Jon Van Caneghem and Mark Caldwell.

That's sad that all those companies disappeared (e.g. Sir-Tech) or were acquired by giants where they become "just" another dev team...

But of course, they should port "The Secret Of The Inner Sanctum" to Amiga!

Regards,
STeN