English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 29 January 2019, 23:08   #1
zorblon98

Recommended programs to install post Amiga OS 3.1.4 Fresh Installation?

For anyone using Amiga OS 3.1.4 from a fresh install on an A500 (and in my case an accelerator), what programs are you typically installing afterwards? Any recommendations for what might be considered the most necessary/useful programs or the order in which they should be installed?

Some background - I am a longtime Amiga owner starting out in 87 with an A500 and primarily playing games and making art/animation, and working with samples and music with Music-X and other software through the mid late 90's. Fast forward to late 2017 and came across some links for accelerator cards for the A500, and my interest was rekindled. I purchased an HC508 and installed a number of WHDLoad games and have mostly been playing games I loved way back when, or trying out the dozens I never had the chance to play before. Also poking around with Music-X again a bit.

So I am not all that versed on using or configuring Workbench 3.1, I never lived that experience prior to getting an accelerator card. When I purchased the HC508 I bought it bundled with Workbench 3.1 pre-installed on a 4GB CF card and learned some since then but would still consider myself fairly new to using 3.1. I recently bought Amiga OS 3.1.4 and wanted to try this out, currently have it installed with BestWB and Dopus.

I came across this site which seemed to have a good list of things to install for 3.1:
https://devtty.io/2018/07/computing/...-workbench-os/

However it looks like it's targeted to A600/68020 and I'm on A500/68000. So things like MCP wouldn't seem to apply to me, and some of the others on that list. What I'm gathering from online searching and through the board it looks like the following might be good options for me to start with (?):

BestWb (Already installed)
MUI
Dopus (using the floppy version from http://dopus.free.fr/download.php)
Devs:Monitors (I don't have PAL options for screenmode? I'm sure I'll figure this out)
SysInfo
WHDLoad
Game Launchers
Other things?
Looking for help, I'm kind of new to this early part.

I imagine I can just continue to learn by stumbling through all the installations for things and determining what else needs to be installed, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask the community. For me at the moment my interest is in WHDLoad gaming, and will probably mess with making Amiga music some this year too.

If anyone might have any input on a list of things to install that would be useful, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any ideas or input.
Old 30 January 2019, 00:40   #2
AMIGASYSTEM

There are many applications on Aminet that include executable for each type of CPU.

In particular that guy of applications are you interested in? (Dopus4 can also install it on HD)