English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL suggestions and feedback

Old 07 March 2009, 04:01   #1
Amiga1992

HOL advanced search does not work in Safari

Did you know that?

YOu can't enter data in the text boxes.
Old 07 March 2009, 04:59   #2
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Did you know that?
I most certainly did not!

Quote:
YOu can't enter data in the text boxes.
That is truly weird. I'm sure I was able to in the past. Weirder yet is that I can tab through each field but I'll be darned if I can enter text. Good grief. We need to get this sorted sharpish.
Old 07 March 2009, 08:10   #3
Amiga1992

Yup, yup.
I guess newer Safari versions introduced something incompatible... or is actually that the HOL is not up to date with today's standards
Old 07 March 2009, 08:12   #4
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Tomorrow after I've had a good nights rest I'll dig into it further. I've never seen anything like that before and would like to know what the problem is. If there's a bug in Safari, a bug report needs to be made. It's really standards complaint though so I tend to think the problem might be on the HOL side.

It's a head scratcher.
Old 07 March 2009, 08:14   #5
Amiga1992

I am glad i brought it to attention.
It;s been bothering me for months but I thought "who uses Safari anyway", then I started to use Safari again instead of firefox (too much bloat and processor use) and bingo, I can't take it anymore ;P
Old 11 March 2009, 13:49   #6
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I use safari on my PC as its faster and "safer" than Internet Explorer, i first started using it on my old laptop (macbook) and since then i have it on all PC's Safari is not recommended if you use ebay! It kind of gives up when browsing through ebay then cannot load anymore pages! it has always done this on all my ps' and macbook! apart from that its a nice speedy browser
Old 12 March 2009, 03:27   #7
xaind

I just tried this in Safari on an intel Mac and I also cannot enter anything into the "Search Options" boxes (e.g. "Developer is").

Even more interesting, though, is that I tried it in Firefox on the same Mac and I can't enter anything into those boxes with it either.
Old 12 March 2009, 03:59   #8
Amiga1992

that's a huge fail, then.
Old 12 March 2009, 05:42   #9
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Confirmed with my homebrewed Firefox. That makes this that much weirder. It doesn't work with either browser even if I change my User Agent. Perplexing.
Old 12 March 2009, 06:08   #10
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Hum, I am not sure you are supposed to be able to enter text in these fields.

But rather you should click on the magnifying glass, use the filter in the lookup popup and then choose the appropriate developper/publisher/etc...

I believe it is by design. I am far from an HTML expert but when I look at the source, seeing things like value="" readonly and value="" disabled I can only suppose those field are not meant to receive typed text.

In case I am wrong, then the problem also exist in Windows FF3 and IE6.

In case I am not wrong, I suppose there is something misleading because you can click on the fields and have a vertical cursor, as if you could type.
This happens with FF3. But with IE6, the fields are not clickable at all. So it could be one of those IE 'optimized' codes which give an unexpected in other browsers.

Edit: Read the thread again. I don't have memory of ever being able to input some text in these fields. But if gklinger remembers correctly, then there is definitively a problem.
Old 12 March 2009, 06:21   #11
Amiga1992

I suppose, then, this is a "design flaw" and not a bug.
Certainly, I'd like to type some of the publisher sometimes, and what if I am not 100% sure of what I am looking for in those fields?
I do remember being able to search for that in advanced, but this was so long ago I could be confused.

Does this turn to feature request then?
When you click on the magnifying glass, there's a search field there. Surely this is very odd, why not just put that box in the HOL search field and avoid all that clicking? What about implementing search suggestions like google and most any search engine today?
Old 12 March 2009, 06:48   #12
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Not sure, but I would think it is so designed to avoid to use dropdown lists (as there are for conversion hardware and the remainder of the items), which would be too long to be displayed due to the high number of publishers/developpers/etc...

Also, having a premade list (the one that come in the lookup popup) is probably useful for limiting the database server stress. If for each query the search had to go through all the entries, it would take far more processing time.

Furthermore, this way, it can be ensured the query is made on only one developper/publisher/.... If it was different, and for example you entered the partial developer query 'team', the search would have to go through the 15 entries that partially match 'team'.

On this subject I am not an expert either, but I think I remember reading some stuff that in database/datamining, everything is done to optimize/limit the processing power requirements, which apparently are far more important than what people would imagine.

Perhaps before you could input some text in those fields, but, seeing that it took too much processing, it was decided to limit things to being only able to have one entry.
Old 12 March 2009, 15:58   #13
Amiga1992

My suggestion was to include a "search suggestion/autocomplete" function like in google! So when you start typing, the field gets filled with suggestions.
Old 12 March 2009, 22:04   #14
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
Edit: Read the thread again. I don't have memory of ever being able to input some text in these fields. But if gklinger remembers correctly, then there is definitively a problem.
It may be a false memory and your comments certainly indicates that.

Sure is a weird interface.
Old 13 March 2009, 11:19   #15
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

The advanced search has always been like this
Old 28 March 2009, 22:37   #16
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Confirmed. No custom text input was ever possible. However, it would really be a good idea to implement this because i must say I'm faster in finding things by typing them in than waiting for the 1 ... 2... 3 ... 4... seconds sometimes until this heavily laden pull-down menu pops up eventually.
Old 29 March 2009, 04:30   #17
Amiga1992

So we all agree having one of those modern "suggest as I type" features would be the best!