English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 July 2004, 13:31   #1
Galaxy

Atari ST games

Having never owned an ST or played any of the games, I was wondering if there are any particularly good games on the ST that did not get released for the Amiga; and if there are any ST versions that are better than the corresponding Amiga version (please try to keep your responses objective, I think we're beyond the Amiga is better than ST/vice versa debate these days!)
Old 06 July 2004, 14:07   #2
RCK
Administrator

oids
Old 06 July 2004, 17:24   #3
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Also, there was Super Sprint.

http://www.atarilegend.com/games/gam...hp?game_id=113
Old 06 July 2004, 21:26   #4
the wolf
Just Leeching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Having never owned an ST or played any of the games, I was wondering if there are any particularly good games on the ST that did not get released for the Amiga; and if there are any ST versions that are better than the corresponding Amiga version (please try to keep your responses objective, I think we're beyond the Amiga is better than ST/vice versa debate these days!)
As for ST games not released for Amiga, there is an interesting thread here:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9629

...and add these bunch of titles:

IK
Hatris
Karateka
Xevious
Where time stood still
Old 07 July 2004, 07:39   #5
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I am a big Atari ST fan, the boards resident booster for this abused gaming platform.

Here is something you'd like. 2 new and super atari ST shooters, recently finished. Read the thread, then download and play them! Droid 2 and Bold.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=14045

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=13923

Also,, 2 years ago I started a thread about just what you asked. Good, non Amiga atari St games, Hope this helps.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=5940

Last edited by Fred the Fop; 09 July 2004 at 05:56.
Old 08 July 2004, 23:46   #6
Tolismlf

Big grin

OK i never owned an Atari ST, always been faithful to the Amiga until 2 years ago that i bought a PC, but as i have used the STEem i can say these:
Nitro is better on the ST
Captive is better on the ST
Tiger Road better on the ST
Operation Stealth better on the ST
Dungeon Master is better on the ST
Super Wonderboy is better on the ST
Pacmania is a crap on the ST
Chuck Rock Amiga crashes Chuck Rock ST
Double Dragon ST sucks
Turiccan 2 ST sucks
Robocop 2 ST sucks
Space Harrier ST sucks
Kick off 2 Amiga is a little better than the ST version
Xenon 2 equal
ST dragon equal
Silkworm + Pang + Populous 1 & 2 + Rainbow islands + Speedball 2 a little better on the Amiga but ST versions are quite good.
Generally Psygnossis games are much better on the Amiga.
Some other games are equal, the most of them is better on the Amiga, especially to the sound.
Thanks i want to see your opinion
Old 13 July 2004, 13:58   #7
tokalash

According to http://come.to/lastninja/ there was a pre-release version (4 disks) of Last Ninja 1 on the ST. Check the download section, well worth a look, I guess.
I remember some kind of advertising for an upcoming release of LN1 for the 16-bit formats, but I've never seen the actual game running on an Amiga. So, there's another one...
Old 13 July 2004, 14:14   #8
Galaxy

Cool thanks guys - this gives me plenty to look at (if only I had more time... )
Old 13 July 2004, 15:50   #9
Bloodwych

Oids, Super Sprint, Defender of the Crown, Bloodwych, Barbarian, Livingstone I Presume, Plutos, Gauntlet, Star Wars, Falcon, Time Bandit - great ST memories before going Amiga, batman pack style.

Never take the years I owned an ST away however. Really enjoyed using that machine.
Old 19 July 2004, 13:37   #10
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

As much as it hurts to say, I would still say the ST version of Llamatron was better than the Amiga port-though the miggy version being a port meant it was never going to shine thru with the better gameplay feel/use of the host machine that the ST original had.

Btw-I wouldn't feel too bad about ST double dragon being bad-was there ever such a thing as a "good" version of DD other than the arcade original?!
Old 19 July 2004, 13:49   #11
Tolismlf

I think DD on Amstrad CPC was the best computer version.
Best console version is Megadrive, almost same as the original.
Old 13 January 2020, 00:54   #12
knightbeat

Livingstone I Presume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Oids, Super Sprint, Defender of the Crown, Bloodwych, Barbarian, Livingstone I Presume, Plutos, Gauntlet, Star Wars, Falcon, Time Bandit - great ST memories before going Amiga, batman pack style.

Never take the years I owned an ST away however. Really enjoyed using that machine.
I stumbled across a comparison video of 'Livingstone, I Presume' earlier and was surprised how good it looked. It was released on most mid-80s platforms, with the Atari ST being the best, but surprisingly no Amiga version . The Amiga received a conversion of the sequel a few years later, which must have been confusing for anyone picking it up at the time.

The view count for Livingstone gameplay videos are astonishingly low - just a few hundred in most cases - so I guess it's quite obscure. It looks fun and worthy of attention though.

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 January 2020, 09:59   #13
dreadnought

Sundog was their killer app.
Old 13 January 2020, 11:31   #14
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Sundog was their killer app.
Coming to a 1meg Amiga near you soon
Old 13 January 2020, 11:36   #15
Foebane
Banned

I can't bear most ST games or demos because of the awful sound chip. The only exceptions are those games that solely used sound samples on the ST. They don't sound as crisp and clear as Amiga sound samples, but they're better than the alternative.
Old 13 January 2020, 11:59   #16
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolismlf View Post
OK i never owned an Atari ST, always been faithful to the Amiga until 2 years ago that i bought a PC, but as i have used the STEem i can say these:
Captive is better on the ST
Dungeon Master is better on the ST
Out of general interest, in what way would you consider those games better?

It's interesting to me because these games are not "action packed" so should probably not suffer to much even if they were straight ST ports. Are they slower? Or is it something else?

Just to be clear, I only want your opinion here - I'm not trying to start an argument that the Amiga versions are better or something like that. See, I sadly haven't played either game and so can't judge them to begin with. This is just to satisfy my curiousity
Old 13 January 2020, 12:52   #17
Seiya

with Atari St emulation i found very nice games that give good gaming experience. i found some game that have sampled sound that of course it is much better than using audio chip. however, i think audio chip is that, so, for Atari users is normal to hear that sound quality and for the rest, sometimes gameplay and graphics i saw and played very very good titles.
Old 13 January 2020, 12:53   #18
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

The Bards Tale Atari ST version has three different sets of dungeons walls, the Amiga only one!
Old 13 January 2020, 16:58   #19
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
with Atari St emulation i found very nice games that give good gaming experience. i found some game that have sampled sound that of course it is much better than using audio chip. however, i think audio chip is that, so, for Atari users is normal to hear that sound quality and for the rest, sometimes gameplay and graphics i saw and played very very good titles.
Don't get me wrong, I had an Atari STFM before I had my Amiga 500, and the sound didn't bother me as much as it now does, and that's because I heard Amiga music and audio afterwards and I just couldn't go back.

But I played most of my first 16-bit games on ST first, like Carrier Command, Damocles, E-Motion and Vaxine, among others.
Old 13 January 2020, 17:00   #20
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Coming to a 1meg Amiga near you soon

Really? Even Meynaf said it's too much work. Great news.