English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 12 March 2003, 17:46   #1
digital

Few games don't switch resolution from video card to native amiga resolution!

I'm running WinUAE with AmigaOS3.9, Picasso96 being set to 1024x768x16bit...

I have problem running following games: Reunion, Space Hulk, Breathless, Ishar3, Fury of the Furries, SlamTilt etc. They don't switch resolution from Picasso96 video card to native amiga resolution. Upon clicking on a game icon, the WB screen seems to froze and I can hear only sounds from the game intro or cracktro and if I keep mouse clicking I can advance to the game menu and hear sound from the game itself. All this time WB screen is still being frozen and mouse pointer doesn't move.

However, these games DO run when Picasso96 is disabled and video card not used. So what is the problem you may wonder? Well, I have setup a nice WB look (along with Birdie, startmenu, highres wallpaper etc) and want that collection of my favorite games started by clicking on icons. Maybe a solution is to this problem is simple? I have tried various WinUAE versions, kickstarts, uaecgx resolutions, memory and CPU settings and nothing works but disabling the Picasso96 display and going back to native Amiga resolutions. I have installed the latest RTG master but that disn't work.

Any help on this issue? Thanks in advance....

Old 12 March 2003, 21:03   #2
Lockrobster

You could use the wb3.1 mode prefs program.. there's a "USE" commandline option for it, I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to give the mode ID to switch like "sys:prefs/screenmode USE $xxxxx". The mode IDs appear in the normal mode listing. So you can write a miniscript to switch the mode and start whatever. Put it in sys:s and set the "S" bit on it to make it executable.
Old 13 March 2003, 00:46   #3
rgen

Send a message via ICQ to rgen
Some of them even don't switch from Euro72/Multiscan mode to Pal, it's not a fault of Picasso96 but the games don't properly init their display . Simple use JST for example (or another degrader), set your icons to Project with JST as tool and add a EXECUTE tooltype.
Old 13 March 2003, 11:23   #4
digital

Thank you Lockrobster and rgen!

I'm an utter lamer in case you haven't already noticed =)

Here's what I did. I have set SpaceHulk icon to Project type. Then I have setup default tool to be JST file. In tooltypes box I have typed EXECUTE. Is that what was I supposed to do?

When I launch the SpaceHulk icon, a message appears that says "JST running executable program..." The screen switches back and forth several times and ends up back in WB screen. That's all. Nothing starts, no intro no cracktro sounds, but surely it opens a lores screen for a second or two. But that's all unfortuantely.
What did I do wrong?

As for Lockrobster's suggestion, I did everything but couldn't find mode IDs. For an experiment I typed in tooltypes "sys:prefs/screenmode USE $0001" and then screen changed into something but just stayed there. I had to rebot. Where do I find those mode IDs? What is normal mode listing. Please?

Thanks guys!

Old 13 March 2003, 11:26   #5
digital

OH Shit! Where did that smiley come from! Dammit!!! I didn't do that!

Old 13 March 2003, 11:27   #6
digital

sys:prefs/screenmode USE $0001

Old 13 March 2003, 11:28   #7
digital

Stick out tongue

I see, I see....

Old 13 March 2003, 14:57   #8
rgen

Is the file that is associated with the Space Hulk icon an executable or a script ? If it is an executable it should work, try it from the shell. If it is an icon you should change back the icon to use IconX and change the script instead. If this still fails upload the icon and the executable and I look at it.
Old 13 March 2003, 16:40   #9
digital

There are some with icons and some with scripts. Here is the Breathless. It's hd installed from the disks that came from the TOSEC archive.

I'm waiting your response in anticipation!

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: zip breathless.zip (65.0 KB, 327 views)

Old 13 March 2003, 20:57   #10
rgen

This behave a little bit strange, no reaction in snoopdos. Does it run if you set workbench to pal ? You can stop the jst message with the QUIET tooltype.
Old 13 March 2003, 22:38   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by digital
OH Shit! Where did that smiley come from! Dammit!!! I didn't do that!
I fixed your two posts. When using : or ; with various letters, as you have already learned, they become graphic smilies. Underneath the message you are typing is an Options box wherein you can tick the box to Disable Smilies In This Post. If you post a message and notice that you forgot to turn the smilies off, you can edit the message by selecting the blue Edit button in the bottom right corner of that message, then flag the smilies off and re-save.
Old 13 March 2003, 22:58   #12
Echo

I use Runpal to cure some games, as I used to run Workbench in Productivity before moving the A1200 to the TV. System unfriendly games needed this 'hack' to run correctly

Unzip the attachment and place in sys:c

Syntax: runpal <executable>
Attached Files
File Type: zip runpal.zip (656 Bytes, 332 views)
Old 14 March 2003, 13:23   #13
digital

Happy

IT WORKS! YES!

There are bunch of games that work for me now! I edited scripts and placed RUNPAL and games work like a charm.

Only two games that have no scripts but are being run through patch programs won't run. These are Space Hulk and Ishar3 (they do work when uaegfx is disabled). I'll be looking for other cracked versions of these games and hopefully find some that will work with Runpal.

THANKS EVERYONE!