English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 June 2008, 22:23   #1
Photon

Building a compact and usable oldskool Amiga - A600 portable finished with pics.

(Update: Project done. A600 portable pics here)

Hey

I thought I'd sit on the porch / in my armchair at least a little this summer and play with asm again!

Had a talk with Jope on IRC about what I could cook up with a minimum of soldering and mangling of plastic case...

I end up coding 'A500' asm anyway, so I was thinking - since an A600 has the same speed but is more compact, I could mount a 'fold over the keyboard' PAL flat panel 'car seat TV' to it and add a slim, no-fan PSU with a long cable...

First problem: finding a good looking A600. Anyone have one for sale?

I will get fast ram, chip ram and a CF card for it if not present. I have the same adapter as in the CF thread here.

Second problem: know any good (crisp display and rgb input at least hackable) 'car seat LCD tvs' that might fit over the A600 keyboard?

Third problem: Slim PSUs (Jope suggested mini-itx type) - where to buy? Quality and delivery time is more important than price.

And if anyone has the latest 8MB board with jumper settings, populated, for sale, sell it to me

I can pay with any fast method and you can ship securely and, ehm, fastly to me

Email me if interested, or priv me here (slower).

Last edited by Photon; 22 July 2009 at 19:48. Reason: project done
Old 01 July 2008, 01:08   #2
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Hey

I thought I'd sit on the porch / in my armchair at least a little this summer and play with asm again!

Had a talk with Jope on IRC about what I could cook up with a minimum of soldering and mangling of plastic case...

I end up coding 'A500' asm anyway, so I was thinking - since an A600 has the same speed but is more compact, I could mount a 'fold over the keyboard' PAL flat panel 'car seat TV' to it and add a slim, no-fan PSU with a long cable...

First problem: finding a good looking A600. Anyone have one for sale?
Only on Epay, m8. Not me. The one I have is mine! Mine!

Quote:
I will get fast ram, chip ram and a CF card for it if not present. I have the same adapter as in the CF thread here.
Good luck with the Fast RAM. If you want a populated board, there is LordV (Lord Vader) in Russia who developed a FAST RAM expansion who seats over the 68000 CPU in any A600. Selectable among 4-8Mb fast plus (or not) 1.5Mb "slow" RAM (not slow at all, BTW). I'll check my posts and leave you the right site to buy it.

Quote:
Second problem: know any good (crisp display and rgb input at least hackable) 'car seat LCD tvs' that might fit over the A600 keyboard?
Nope. All car screens I see are too thick to flip over the Amiga. But you can take your chances with a PS LCD screen (albeit a bit tiny than desirable).

Quote:
Third problem: Slim PSUs (Jope suggested mini-itx type) - where to buy? Quality and delivery time is more important than price.
Best use a slim +12V power supply and a pico-PSU for this. A pico-PSU with 60W is more than enough. Remember to buy a regulated +12V with at least 8A (5 for the pico thing and 3A for +12V rail - not provided from the pico PSU).

Quote:
And if anyone has the latest 8MB board with jumper settings, populated, for sale, sell it to me
Has I said, that memory expansion is pretty new. I doubt someone will sell it. Buy an unit from the russian guys.

Quote:
I can pay with any fast method and you can ship securely and, ehm, fastly to me

Email me if interested, or priv me here (slower).
Good luck!
Old 01 July 2008, 02:40   #3
Photon

Thx for the quick reply rkauer!

Hmm... are PS screens RGB? I'd have to look at a composite screen before I buy it. Jope suggested www.ipxmax.com, going there now...

Anyone know where to buy a good PS/2 touchpad (or possibly a tiny trackball)?
Old 01 July 2008, 03:33   #4
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
Thx for the quick reply rkauer!

Hmm... are PS screens RGB? I'd have to look at a composite screen before I buy it. Jope suggested www.ipxmax.com, going there now...

Anyone know where to buy a good PS/2 touchpad (or possibly a tiny trackball)?
A PS/2 touchpad will only work if you buy/construct a little hardware converter. Schematics on Aminet. Ready-made from Elbo$ (Cocolino).

Play Station screens are composite.
Old 01 July 2008, 08:23   #5
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
Nope. All car screens I see are too thick to flip over the Amiga. But you can take your chances with a PS LCD screen (albeit a bit tiny than desirable).
I been using a PSOne screen, but besides for tracking, I can't use it for anything else, it's very small, so if you want to read, it's best to avoid. Even if you plug it through RGB (yes, you can hack it for RGB, rkauer), text would be too damn small.
Old 01 July 2008, 10:18   #6
Photon

Tracking? I'm too tired, explain please.
Old 01 July 2008, 10:47   #7
Amiga1992

Tracking mods.
whiuch is what I mostly use the Amiga for nowadays.
ACTUALLY, I don't track with the PSOne screen that much, I mainly use it at live gigs. At home I preffer a good monitor.

Suffice to say, you really, really need something better if you are going to read, unless you want to turn blind.

If you decide to go for the PSOne screen, it;s a pretty cool hackable screen. first thing you have to do is get the connections available (RGB and such), then change the backlight with super bright LEDs for ultra low power consumption.
Old 01 July 2008, 11:16   #8
Photon

Why would I want low power consumption? No Amiga (bar perhaps Minimig) runs on batteries.

I'm an environmentalist, but when it comes to my hobby I'm pretty non-green with all the other equipment... I could turn them all off and be green but not have fun, but I decided long ago that that would never happen.

Last edited by Photon; 01 July 2008 at 11:27.
Old 02 July 2008, 18:33   #9
Photon

My big problem right now is the screen, I saw a HK dealer on eBay sell an 800x600 13.3" PAL video compatible one (for cars). Another alternative is one of those console to pc screen adapter + a normal TFT screen.

Where do I look for it tho? Any recommendations/links?

The one I looked at has model no TU1338, but I can find no specs. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330247227292
Old 02 July 2008, 18:49   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

How much do you want to pay?
Old 02 July 2008, 19:06   #11
Photon

Right now the problem is finding something I can make a usable portable A600 out of (ie. not too thick screen, 4:3, good picture). Tell me what you have in mind, I can pay good money for a good solution, I'm not after something cheap that is barely usable
Old 02 July 2008, 20:03   #12
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

True portable... i.e. runs on batteries...or just easily moved?
Old 02 July 2008, 21:12   #13
Photon

No batteries, long power cable + A600 "laptop" in my lap
Old 02 July 2008, 21:46   #14
Photon

+ something compact to bring to meetings / friends. I will not be at a client with it, and not in the forest either, even if a tft would work in sunlight

Anyway, the 13.3" car tv I linked to above ... you guys think there are vital electronics (for getting a picture) in the roof base? Or just sound/speaker/power stuff? If so, it's out. Unless I only need like 1 small board from it that fits inside the A600.

I have everything but a screen now, I'm even looking at joytech.net... too bad they are small + widescreen. But would one of them work?
Old 02 July 2008, 21:52   #15
Photon

Zetr0 privved me saying it was easier to get a normal 12-14" tft, rgb upscaler, and svideo converter - but where? I sure can find no such small monitors in any of the computer webshops.

Ebay? They don't seem to have them either, only big pc tfts and small car tvs.

A slim 13" normal monitor + adaptation HW seems like a much nicer solution. But I'm still in the dark. If someone knows, or how to reach Zetr0, let me know please, going away for 2 days tomorrow!
Old 02 July 2008, 21:58   #16
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I think you were on the right track before.

An "in Car" LCD or a console LCD. Both will have RCA phono composite, Svideo and probably custom RGB 15KHz inputs.

Make sure it's a "TV" (15KHz) compatible one rather than a PC VGA (31 KHz) version.
Old 02 July 2008, 22:34   #17
Photon

Yes, after looking at scalers, seems all of them are too big to fit inside the A600. Will try to find one that just displays a picture (without dvd and speakers and remote control receiver and...)

And preferably not a 1.5" thick one. Wish me luck
Old 03 July 2008, 03:20   #18
Amiga1992

Quote:
Why would I want low power consumption? No Amiga (bar perhaps Minimig) runs on batteries.
because this bitch takes 7.5V and 3A itself, so if you make the mod, you might be able to power it from a single PSU.

I would also recommend a picoPSU internal mod, so it gets even more convenient and 'portable'
Old 05 July 2008, 00:00   #19
Photon

I can't believe I wouldn't be able to power A600+a 15W or less screen with a mini-itx or other slim PSU. And it goes against my grain to put a PSU or AC inside and A600, if that's what you meant. If it's reasonable close in size to a laptop 'PSU', I'm good.

Going to Jonkoping tomorrow look at screens, here's hoping sales persons know their stuff.
Old 05 July 2008, 09:57   #20
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I don't do power electronics, but I am sure you can power it using something absolutely tiny these days.

My A600 has a "feather brick" PSU and I am sure that with modern switch mode electronics it would be about the size of a packet of cigarettes.

At the very least you'll be able to follow Keropi's PicoATX PSU mod.

Although I dunno why Keropi didnt just solder off the ATX connector on the PicoPSU rather than build a PCB!?

Last edited by alexh; 05 July 2008 at 10:03.