English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 April 2021, 19:04   #1
sparhawk

Turrican on Switch

I learned that Turrican is now available on Switch and I wonder if it is worth it. Somehow I missed Turrican when it came out, but I love Metroidvania style games, and I got the impression that Turrican is this kindof. And of course it is always listed as a great game, so I wonder if it is worth getting.
Old 04 April 2021, 19:15   #2
Sgt Jack V

They've put in quite a few worthwhile features, such as improved controls for the Amiga games and rewind
Old 04 April 2021, 21:18   #3
RuySan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
I learned that Turrican is now available on Switch and I wonder if it is worth it. Somehow I missed Turrican when it came out, but I love Metroidvania style games, and I got the impression that Turrican is this kindof. And of course it is always listed as a great game, so I wonder if it is worth getting.
Turrican 1 and 2 have some big levels but are not Metroidvanias. Not even barely. They are brilliant though, specially the second one.
Old 04 April 2021, 21:35   #4
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I learned that Turrican is now available on Switch and I wonder if it is worth it. Somehow I missed Turrican when it came out
You missed the old thread too: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=103719
Old 04 April 2021, 23:10   #5
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
You missed the old thread too: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=103719

Thanks! I didn't know that this is already that old.
Old 06 April 2021, 14:38   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
I mean if you want to play it on your Switch sure. It has some nice display enhancements that can make it preferable over playing it in a PC emulator or on the real thing (blasphemous, I know).

Just be aware that you get Mega Turrican, not Turrican 3 Amiga.
Old 06 April 2021, 14:52   #7
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
It has some nice display enhancements that can make it preferable over playing it in a PC emulator or on the real thing (blasphemous, I know).
I doubt very much these can match PC shaders, nevermind beat them.

For me, 30USD for few old games is simply too much, especially for a digital-only version. I'd wait till they drop the price or when it goes on sale.
Old 06 April 2021, 15:08   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

It'd be awesome to have a scanlines filter, but ultimately widescreen support and the changed hud are already nice features that make it optimal for playing on a modern TV. Which ultimately is what the choice is all about.

If you have a Switch or a console of any kind you are pretty much willing to spend money to play stuff on it so the cost thing isn't really a factor.
Old 06 April 2021, 18:12   #9
dreadnought

Quote:
If you have a Switch or a console of any kind you are pretty much willing to spend money to play stuff on it so the cost thing isn't really a factor.
Eh?
Old 07 April 2021, 12:21   #10
Dunny

Quote:
Nobody pays to play crap games, my dude. So that invalidates what you said right out of the gate.
Old 07 April 2021, 13:37   #11
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Nobody pays to play crap games, my dude. So that invalidates what you said right out of the gate.
... no, because Turrican isn't crap :/ Please refrain from saying "my dude" if you're going to associate it with such statements. I don't want to be involved.

I guess my point wasn't clear. People pay extra money to play games on a Switch because they want to play games on the Switch, it doesn't matter if the game can be played on a different device cheaper or even free.
Old 08 April 2021, 00:37   #12
Dunny

Quote:
... no, because Turrican isn't crap :/ Please refrain from saying "my dude" if you're going to associate it with such statements. I don't want to be involved.

I guess my point wasn't clear. People pay extra money to play games on a Switch because they want to play games on the Switch, it doesn't matter if the game can be played on a different device cheaper or even free.
At what point did I say that Turrican is crap, my dude? I said that people don't pay to play games they don't like. Which is the opposite of what you said.