English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 31 January 2021, 23:14   #1
rabidgerry

Directory Issue in OS 3.1

I have issues accessing games from a directory on my CF hard drive.

It's the S directory where all games beginning with the letter S are stored.

Running OS 3.1 using an Apollo1260 accelerator.

Randomly I can still access them using iGame but if I manually go into the drawer itself and start clicking on things (I don't even need to load a game to get this to happen) the whole system crashes.

Stranger still the same thing is happening on another CF drive also!

So I don't think this is related, but last night I tried to update my WHD load Street Fighter 2 Slave after I realised when I began to try and play the version I had the fire button on my joypad wasn't doing anything no matter what option so I couldn't begin the game. I then figured well lets try and update the slave and of course there was a new slave from last year and of course it had a tonne more files than what my version had. So I always copy everything over from the LHA and replace any files that need replacing and leave out the install file as I don't need it since game is already installed. And when I tried to load the game I get the splash screen for WHD load options but then CRASH!

After messing about in the S directory then this is when noticed I was getting crashes trying to access games without iGame.

I did create a brand new S directory and copy everything over but it's doing the same thing. Bright orange and messed up display, then a reboot and sometimes the "click left mouse button to continue" message and then my system reboots properly.

Would this be corrupt data perhaps?

Other directories on the same partition seem to behave as normal and that includes other WHD load games just in a different folder.
Old 01 February 2021, 12:21   #2
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Have you installed the games in DH0:S directory? That's a script directory on your System Boot Partition. Never use your SYS: Partition for Games and strange Apps that can f**k it up. Use instead Games: Partition and Work: Partition for that. BTW, do you have the 060.library in LIBS: ? Not all WHDLoad games liike to run on an accelerator so play around with IGames Prefs or the games Icon Information till your Amiga is stable.
Old 01 February 2021, 13:16   #3
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma693541 View Post
Have you installed the games in DH0:S directory? That's a script directory on your System Boot Partition. Never use your SYS: Partition for Games and strange Apps that can f**k it up. Use instead Games: Partition and Work: Partition for that. BTW, do you have the 060.library in LIBS: ? Not all WHDLoad games liike to run on an accelerator so play around with IGames Prefs or the games Icon Information till your Amiga is stable.
No but it's funny you mention that as I was thinking is there perhaps some possible clash going on as it is an S directory after all.

My games are on partition drives DH1 and DH2. The S directory I have alluded to is DH2:Games_O-Z_WHD/S

Today I tested in WINUAE and the same thing happens so I'm ruling out hardware at this stage.

I've also deleted the entire S directory from DH2: and I will copy across the original from my PC later today to see if this works.

Last edited by rabidgerry; 01 February 2021 at 13:39.
Old 01 February 2021, 14:22   #4
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Check also the Protection bits, both for iGame itself, it Scripts, the WHDLoad Scripts and the Game Slaves.
Old 01 February 2021, 15:14   #5
rabidgerry

I don't really know how to do that. Can you give me some instructions?

Having deleted all the S drive I have now replaced it and tested two games. So far they seem to work.

I would really love to update the Street Fight 2 slave now but I'm afraid whatever went wrong might go wrong again. I will do further tests on my real Amiga soon.
Old 01 February 2021, 18:44   #6
rabidgerry

Having wiped all S games and then copied them over again from my PC then attempted upgrade of the Street Fighter 2 slave I can defo say that's aint working.
Old 01 February 2021, 19:37   #7
rabidgerry

This is the error I keep getting
Old 01 February 2021, 20:50   #8
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Sometimes an updated slave might work differently to the previous one, and as such expects you to run the installer with it from scratch and provide the original game disks again. My guess is that's what you're experiencing here - the newer slave is looking for files the older one didn't need, and so you won't have.
Old 01 February 2021, 22:16   #9
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
Sometimes an updated slave might work differently to the previous one, and as such expects you to run the installer with it from scratch and provide the original game disks again. My guess is that's what you're experiencing here - the newer slave is looking for files the older one didn't need, and so you won't have.
I don't want to trump your response, but I had tried the installer from scratch also. Fair enough I think the ADFs were cracks but I got something similar when I installed to a new directory all on it's own.

@indigolemon what do you think about the random broken S directory? So strange. I have a bad feeling it's going to happen again. It's already frozen once with one game. The rest I've tried have been fine so far but one freeze could be the beginning. Hopefully it isn't.
Old 01 February 2021, 22:23   #10
AMIGASYSTEM

I suspect that there is a corrupted file in the S folder or a file with a name not supported by the filesystem, try deleting the "last copied files" in S and see if the problem is solved.
Old 01 February 2021, 23:00   #11
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I suspect that there is a corrupted file in the S folder or a file with a name not supported by the filesystem, try deleting the "last copied files" in S and see if the problem is solved.
Interesting. Sounds plausible. However I can't go back to the old state as I already deleted everything and and re-copied back over from my PC where I keep all the games that I would put onto new installs etc.
Old 02 February 2021, 03:03   #12
ma693541
Computer Wizard

In the picture you provided in #7, I can't remember what DOS ERROR 205 means, but it seems that you have trouble with the WHDLoad Slave reading the Boot Disk of Street Fighter 2, something is missing on that Disk/Installment. WHDLoad work's only with original .ADFs and .IPFs, so don't use cracked games when you install them.
Old 02 February 2021, 04:02   #13
MiaM

Were the CF card written using your Amiga or written with a CF reader on a modern PC?

Could it simply be that your card is larger than 4GB and your drivers/filesystem on the Amiga only support 4GB? Unless you actively have done things to be able to use larger disks then it's most likely you have a 4GB limit. S might just be the letter in the alphabet where you reach the 4GB limit.

Having games and other stuff mixed in the default S directory on the bood partition would indeed be strange but it shouldn't make the system crash or so, unless you try to install a game named startup-sequence or user-startup or similar.
Old 02 February 2021, 11:40   #14
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma693541 View Post
In the picture you provided in #7, I can't remember what DOS ERROR 205 means, but it seems that you have trouble with the WHDLoad Slave reading the Boot Disk of Street Fighter 2, something is missing on that Disk/Installment. WHDLoad work's only with original .ADFs and .IPFs, so don't use cracked games when you install them.
Yes you are right, and I realised why upon using some of the other WHDload installs for the game that are older.

Upon running the installer from scratch on all version from 2019-2020 I only get prompted for one disk.

When I run the installer for the 2004 version I get prompted for 4 disks.

So it appears the installer isn't asking me for all the disks and this is the reason why it is missing information.

I tried something else as well

Since I already had the game installed but an old version, I then figured I could copy the missing data over into the newer versions folder because some of the errors asked specifically for those files which are in the "DATA" folder within the old version I already had.

However when I then tried to run the new version it said the files I was using were not the correct versions of files of the same name!

So it's just a flat NO this is not going to allow you to upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaM View Post
Were the CF card written using your Amiga or written with a CF reader on a modern PC?

Could it simply be that your card is larger than 4GB and your drivers/filesystem on the Amiga only support 4GB? Unless you actively have done things to be able to use larger disks then it's most likely you have a 4GB limit. S might just be the letter in the alphabet where you reach the 4GB limit.

Having games and other stuff mixed in the default S directory on the bood partition would indeed be strange but it shouldn't make the system crash or so, unless you try to install a game named startup-sequence or user-startup or similar.

Yes my card is 16gb, but my card is set up for large drive support and is using PFS3AIO. This seems to be only a relatively new problem and I've had the same drive for over a year.

I see where you are coming from but I should be fine for space and my system handling the space.

I followed this guys series of tutorials

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]