English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 14 April 2021, 18:50   #21
waldiamiga
morphos.pl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
The next game will probably be the PC-version of PowerSlave/Exhumed, which is a hidden gem IMO.
Wow!
Will there be a version for AmigaOS4x / MorphOS?
Old 14 April 2021, 18:55   #22
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Not from me, but the sources will be open. BeWorld will probably take care of the MorphOS port.
Old 14 April 2021, 22:56   #23
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Blood is going to be quite difficult, because it's written in C++ and it hacks the Build engine in various ways. Not impossible, but it's going to take much more time. The next game will probably be the PC-version of PowerSlave/Exhumed, which is a hidden gem IMO.
If ti helps at all? there is one modified eduke engine, wich supports many Build based games:

Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition
Redneck Rampage
Redneck Rampage: Rides Again
Duke Nukem 64
NAM/NAPALM
World War II GI

He has also made ports for a Blood and Exhumed / Power slave.

https://github.com/nukeykt/NBlood
Old 15 April 2021, 00:46   #24
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickx1989 View Post
And my all time favorite, Blood
Blood actually is the best of them all, the ones I listed are the absolute worst because they were made by Capstone - pretty much the PC clone of Tiertex
Old 15 April 2021, 01:34   #25
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
If ti helps at all? there is one modified eduke engine, wich supports many Build based games:

Redneck Rampage
Duke Nukem 64
NAM/NAPALM
World War II GI

The eduke engine is very demanding, too much for classic Amiga I think.
Old 15 April 2021, 06:29   #26
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post

Redneck Rampage
Duke Nukem 64
NAM/NAPALM
World War II GI

I'm aware of NBlood, if you take a look I have contributed big endian fixes to various games there. What Nova says about EDuke32 is correct, its enhanced build engine is way too demanding. It's also a moving target with no stable version, and the internals change too often. The games have to be backported to use JFBuild first before the Amiga port.
Old 15 April 2021, 07:59   #27
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
I'm aware of NBlood, if you take a look I have contributed big endian fixes to various games there. What Nova says about EDuke32 is correct, its enhanced build engine is way too demanding. It's also a moving target with no stable version, and the internals change too often. The games have to be backported to use JFBuild first before the Amiga port.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 15 April 2021, 09:09   #28
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Blood actually is the best of them all, the ones I listed are the absolute worst because they were made by Capstone - pretty much the PC clone of Tiertex
Capstone, The Pinnacle of Entertainment!
Old 15 April 2021, 14:12   #29
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Capstone, The Pinnacle of Entertainment!
Legally not to be confused with Apogee, the height of gaming excitement.
Old 16 April 2021, 07:26   #30
BSzili
old chunk of coal

I'm also looking for testers with 68060 accelerators and RTG cards that can do at least 15-bit high color modes. On the software side I'm mostly interested in CyberGraphX, as Picasso96 was tested more extensively, but P96 will do as well.
Old 16 April 2021, 17:13   #31
Reido

Can test on my Apollo 1260 64mb@80mhz if you want?
Old 16 April 2021, 18:07   #32
BSzili
old chunk of coal

For now only if it's in an RTG-equipped system, because the game was already tested on multiple Apollo 1260 cards with AGA.
Old 16 April 2021, 19:30   #33
Reido

No probs!
Old 16 April 2021, 20:24   #34
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
For now only if it's in an RTG-equipped system, because the game was already tested on multiple Apollo 1260 cards with AGA.
I have two 68060 towerized A1200 systems, both with Zorro II RTG

Blizzard 68060 with GVP EGS 28/24 Spectrum
Apollo 68060 with xPert Merlin

Both with Picasso 96
Old 16 April 2021, 22:08   #35
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Thanks, I dropped you a PM!
Old 17 April 2021, 01:02   #36
utri007
mä vaan

Very nice

It supports joysticks and joypads wich is nice. I got a feeling that playing with keyboard or joystick is not that accurate than it is with mouse? There are some aiming difficulties?

Windows mode works just fine both of my machines and it is semi playable 9 - 11 fps, when screen is 16bit. Seems that FPS doesn't vary that much when playded on window.

Full screen my Blizzard 66mhz had 11 - 16 fps and Apollo 80mhz 13 - 19 fps.
Old 17 April 2021, 06:28   #37
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Thanks for testing, interesting finding about the windowed mode.
As for the joystick/keyboard, aiming with a mouse will always be more accurate, but like all DOS-era FPSs the game does have an auto-aim feature. Do you have in enabled in the options?
Old 17 April 2021, 08:59   #38
NovaCoder

Is there a link for testing this somewhere?

Old 17 April 2021, 09:10   #39
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Not yet, as it's not ready for public testing yet. For example I just broke the save format twice in a row, but shaved off about 2MB from the memory usage
I'll send you a test exe via PM.
Old 17 April 2021, 17:29   #40
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Floppy disk

The port is now officially released on Aminet:
http://aminet.net/package/game/shoot/jfsw

Beware, the information below may be outdated!

Time for a public test version! This one is for 68060 only, the 68040 doesn't seem to be fast enough.
Please don't mirror this file as it can still change, I will upload it to Aminet once everything is stable.
http://bszili.morphos.me/ports/jfsw.lha

Below is what will eventually become the readme, I'll edit this post as needed.

Game data:
You can get the full game for free on Steam and GOG.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2...r_Classic_1997
https://www.gog.com/game/shadow_warrior_complete
The only file you need is SW.GRP, do not copy SW.CFG from the DOS version! It's incompatible if JFSW, and will cause all sorts of issues, like not being able to save your settings.
Shadow Warrior Classic Complete also includes two expansions for the game. As these replace the original levels it's recommended to keep them in separate drawers. For Wanton Destruction remove SW.GRP, and copy WT.GRP into the drawer. For Twin Dragon, simply copy the contents of the "dragon" folder, except for SW.CFG of course.

Performance considerations:
FFS is quite slow at seeking in large files which can lead to pauses in-game when new data has to be loaded from the GRP file. It can be improved by adding more buffers, but I recommend running the game from a PFS or SFS volume.
The texture/sound cache is also sensitive to memory fragmentation, so if you have 32 MB or less memory, it's best to start the game after a clean reboot.

Vampire V2 users:
Please use the 040 executable, as the 060 one is currently not compatible with Vampire V2 cards.

Sound:
The game defaults to stereo Paula DMA audio, but AHI is also supported for sound card users.
To use AHI, after the first start open SW.CFG in a text editor, and in the [Sound Setup] section set FXDevice = 8 and ReverseStereo = 1. The game will use the Music Unit for sound playback, make sure it's properly
configured in the AHI prefs. To switch back to Paula, change both values back to 0.

Music:
Uncompressed 8-bit PCM WAV files are supported up to 22 KHz. I recommend 22KHz 8-bit mono, which is a good balance between sound quality and size. Keep in mind that the music streamed from memory, so it might not fit if you have less than 32 MB memory.
Most releases of the game come with the music tracks in Ogg Vorbis format, which can be converted to WAV using various tools like FFmpeg, SoX or Audacity. I uploaded a WAV music pack into The Zone.

Keyboard and mouse controls:
In the menu open Options / Input menu, and pick Apply Modern Defaults. This resets all of the changes you have made for the keys/buttons. To enable the Mouse Aiming, press [U] in-game.

Controller or keyboard-only controls:
In the menu open Options / Input menu, and pick Apply Classic Defaults. This resets all of the changes you have made for the keys/buttons.
The game supports 11-button CD32 controllers.

Fullscreen:
The game asks the OS for the best mode id for a given resolution, but this can lead to unexpected results if there are unused monitor drivers in Devs:Monitors. I recommend putting these away into Storage:Monitors, but if this is not possible for some reason, you can use the following tool-types to force specific modes.
FORCEMODE - filters the available modes via the mode name. possible values: PAL, NTSC, DBLPAL, DBLNTSC, EURO36, EURO72, SUPER72, MULTISCAN
FORCEID - force a specific mode, the value should be a Mode ID in hexadecimal format

Windowed mode:
You can play the game in window on high color (15-bit) or better RTG screens. The game will still render in 8-bit color, the higher color depth is required to avoid the expensive color remapping necessary on paletted public screens. In fullscreen this is not a issue, as the game can freely change the palette on its custom screen.
To release the mouse pointer bring up the in-game console, this is bound to the Tilde [~] key by default, but can be remapped in Oprions / Keys Setup. Expect the performance to be slower in this mode. To override the default you can use the "PUBSCREEN" tool-type in the icon.

Level editor:
The Shadow Warrior-specific version of Build Editor is also included, but it requires a 640x480 screen, so it's best used with RTG cards.

Cut features:
Some features from the original game didn't make it into this port, one of these are the voxels. For one thing I have no 68k drawing code for them, and even if I did, the performance would be terrible. They also rely on a huge lookup table, that is very expensive to recalculate, which affects the performance of the game even when there are no voxels are onscreen. In short it's not happening.
The other cut feature is the multiplayer. JFBuild's implementaion uses large static buffers that would increase the memory requirements of the game significantly. If there's enough interest I'll see how much work is to fix this.

Last edited by BSzili; 02 May 2021 at 09:53.