English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 26 June 2021, 08:59   #101
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
But he is completely correct with the instrument out of melody.
Old 26 June 2021, 09:36   #102
NLS
Ancient User

Awoke the dead thread? Realize this is 3.5 years old?

BTW I am no musician (you people may possibly talk as musicians), but I never found that tune as out of key. Or it is like that on purpose.
It was just a very "radical" tune, made to "boost" you.
Old 26 June 2021, 12:58   #103
Fiery Phoenix

Tracksuit Manager 2. Awful dance version of When the Saints Go Marching In....on a loop.....aaaaargh!
Old 26 June 2021, 17:53   #104
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Awoke the dead thread? Realize this is 3.5 years old?
And?
Old 26 June 2021, 22:21   #105
NLS
Ancient User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
And?
And nothing.
Old 28 June 2021, 21:59   #106
Ray Norrish

Quote:
erm... music from Blood Money

(well... is he looking? is he looking? )
I have an excuse for that
It was the first thing I ever knocked up in SoundTracker in a couple of hours. It happened to be on a demo disk that went to Psygnosis and for some reason Ian Hetherington wanted it for the game. Never intentionally "wrote" it for the/a game!
Old 28 June 2021, 22:58   #107
NLS
Ancient User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Norrish View Post
It was the first thing I ever knocked up in SoundTracker in a couple of hours. It happened to be on a demo disk that went to Psygnosis and for some reason Ian Hetherington wanted it for the game. Never intentionally "wrote" it for the/a game!
Hahaha wow got an answer 13 (THIRTEEN) years later.
For this alone, thanks @Predseda !
(although I don't think much of people with big mouth behind the safety of their monitor - but I could have misunderstood your reaction - as you did mine)
Old 28 June 2021, 23:22   #108
Ray Norrish

It was probably a good shout from Ian at the time to select it, but I don't think there was any music that was so "In the moment" and yet aged so terribly.
Old 07 October 2021, 17:03   #109
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Agony in-game music sounds awful (probably the first time I play this on the real thing, and it's the first thing that caught my attention). Man, I wish I could use the M key to disable it (Psygnosis allowed this in other titles, but not in Agony, not quite clear why they wouldn't).
Old 07 October 2021, 17:49   #110
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Norrish View Post
Well you made the happiness with that of me teenager wanna be musician, because first you proved me House music making was viable on Amiga, and then because i used some of the samples from the ripped mods ^^ - Ah, and the A01/A0F cycles on the Anarchy guitar, that taught me how to simulate pulse modulation on a mod [and i expanded a bit]
Thanks!
Old 07 October 2021, 17:56   #111
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

The REAL reason of the hate of the rock guitar (that by the way was part of the original Amiga samples bank since the Amiga inauguration) is in my opinion because of its abuse: was used on a LOT of places, by Whittaker itself too, and demosceners, but one of the worst use is here:
[ Show youtube player ]

Song is already dull but THAT guitar make is a stab in the ears! [and that Hard Drivin as a port suck adds to it] - however as a tracker i know that the guy did use whatever sample was around ready, plus i assume a short deadline as usual
Old 08 October 2021, 09:03   #112
NLS
Ancient User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Agony in-game music sounds awful (probably the first time I play this on the real thing, and it's the first thing that caught my attention). Man, I wish I could use the M key to disable it (Psygnosis allowed this in other titles, but not in Agony, not quite clear why they wouldn't).
Many find Agony soundtrack great - including the contrast between the soft intro and the "attack" of the main theme.

But I couldn't relate to an "awl" (or whatever that is) so I still didn't like it.
Old 08 October 2021, 16:48   #113
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Give me Battle Squadron in-game music anytime over this bombastic theme. Anyway, my point was about how Psygnosis allows us to choose between sfx or music in many games at the press of a key, but not in this one. More often than not, they have a tendency to introduce a tragic / epic tale to make their action games more remarkable than they are (check The Killing Game Show rich presentation). Which implies they could have done so deliberately.

An awl ? Heh, it's an owl. Meet Alestes the fighting owl, aka the main sprite .
Old 08 October 2021, 18:01   #114
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Many find Agony soundtrack great - including the contrast between the soft intro and the "attack" of the main theme.

But I couldn't relate to an "awl" (or whatever that is) so I still didn't like it.
They tried cinematic and in a way work;

As curiosity, i did a hidden tribute on Agony on the shooting phase of Morci - easy since both have an owl as star;
theme is in a way the level 1 music with a different tempo and more laid back as instruments

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 October 2021, 18:53   #115
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

The award for worst game music clearly has to go to Empire Deluxe. Every time you move a unit, it restarts. Since all you do in the game is move military units around in rapid succession, you hear at most two seconds of it, repeating endlessly.
Old 08 October 2021, 20:02   #116
NLS
Ancient User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Creosote View Post
The award for worst game music clearly has to go to Empire Deluxe. Every time you move a unit, it restarts. Since all you do in the game is move military units around in rapid succession, you hear at most two seconds of it, repeating endlessly.
Now you make me start it to check it out.
Old 09 October 2021, 19:18   #117
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Creosote View Post
Woah, what were they thinking
Old 28 November 2021, 19:44   #118
Waxhead

First thing that crosses my mind was Ducula for the C64... Well , the music is actually good, but very short and repetitive and WILL drive you completely insane!
Old 01 December 2021, 16:52   #119
SunSpire

[ Show youtube player ]

Have to agree with s2325's post from 2008, the title music in Power Drive is just pure cringe.

[ Show youtube player ]

The title music from Mirrorsoft's 1987 Tetris, while sounding cute at first, will quickly get on your nerves because it's looping endlessly every few seconds. The ingame music is kinda nice, but again it loops through the entire game and gets repetitive fast. If that wasn't enough, the crazy animated flashing TV noise backdrop inside the playfield would likely keep you from playing this game longer than just a few minutes at a time without giving you seizures

[ Show youtube player ]

Spy vs Spy was another one of these games that had a cute little tune but which is way too short and starts to annoy the heck out of you after a while.

I'm sure there's many more, may be worth starting a separate thread about game duration vs soundtrack lengths

Last edited by SunSpire; 01 December 2021 at 17:01.
Old 01 December 2021, 18:04   #120
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

C64 version of Spy vs spy was as much minimalistic but the sound did not bother because people was busy playing and so disappeared a bit on the background...

...but someone did remembered it and made one of the best video games cover EVER imo
[ Show youtube player ]