English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: What game do you want to see ported to the Amiga?
Rolling Thunder (Arcade) 21 6.58%
Gauntlet (Arcade) 29 9.09%
Shinobi (Arcade) 49 15.36%
Pacman (Arcade) 7 2.19%
Final Fight (Arcade) 35 10.97%
Rastan (Arcade) 30 9.40%
Side Arms (Arcade) 1 0.31%
Nemesis/Gradius (Arcade) 13 4.08%
Raiden (Arcade) 10 3.13%
Raiden II (Arcade) 11 3.45%
Space Invaders (Arcade) 2 0.63%
Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja (Arcade) 6 1.88%
Wonder Boy (Arcade) 46 14.42%
Axelay (SNES) 9 2.82%
Double Dragon (Arcade) 13 4.08%
None - Do my own game! 37 11.60%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 May 2021, 13:58   #541
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOU! View Post
I think Pang would be a very easy game to adapt in 256 colors due to the structure of the game (more simple than EOB 1&2 badly coded in C++).
with some patches to the loading codes, copperlists and display ...

but what interest? the A500 version is wonderful for me.

if it is to do as the BitmapBrother games...
I prefer the ECS version of Chaos Engine and Speed Ball 2 ...

For me an adaptation of a arcade game never converted on amiga as Trojan is better!

or badly converted as Ghouls & ghost...

Pang has arcade graphics & colors (and an extra music track) that we could borrow from. It wouldn't be like Speedball 2 => CD32 (btw I like CE AGA )

Too bad noone is interested, I would have liked to take on this project, maybe.
Old 20 May 2021, 15:12   #542
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
@hitm4n, what about porting “Dots Adventures”
Definitely possible
Old 20 May 2021, 15:13   #543
fryguy

I vote for the VGA version of Kalas Puffs Expressen
Old 20 May 2021, 15:16   #544
Konrad

"Pang" is already a good conversion on A500. Don't see the need to improve here.

But I miss "Super Pang". I loved to play this in the arcades. The panic mode is great fun in 2P mode.
-> I would love to see this one added to the list.

If I would have to choose from the list it'd be either "Shinobi" or "Raiden".
Old 20 May 2021, 16:07   #545
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Pang has arcade graphics & colors (and an extra music track) that we could borrow from. It wouldn't be like Speedball 2 => CD32 (btw I like CE AGA )

Too bad noone is interested, I would have liked to take on this project, maybe.
Jeff, if you want to do the job you will always make people happy !!!

I don't think my work is too long even without source code and too difficult.
I did not verify the code.

But it is a work of Pierre Adane, therefore ASM of quality and clear without any ...
Do you think?
Old 20 May 2021, 16:19   #546
jotd
This cat is no more

CFou! I think that's doable. So reachable, and even without the source. And the code is probably very good.

Problem with bad ports is that they're impossible to improve: framerate is shit, coding doesn't use original sources, etc... so in that case creating something from scratch is the best option. And with good ports you can improve them but not tremendously.

A good example is Final Fight. R. Aplin did the best he could to fit the game in 512k and it's really an achievement, but A500 is just too weak and the game is crap. Plus he didn't have access to original A.I. so he did one, but it sucks in comparison. Give Mr Aplin a A1200, modern crossdev tools, and covid lockdown time it will probably be a different story

I don't have mcgeezer time (or skills!!) to create a complex game from scratch on amiga.

I did a few remakes but mostly java/c++. And assets or performance was hardly an issue. Even developping for Nintendo DS was easier than amiga asm coding.
Old 20 May 2021, 17:30   #547
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
A good example is Final Fight. R. Aplin did the best he could to fit the game in 512k and it's really an achievement, but A500 is just too weak and the game is crap. Plus he didn't have access to original A.I. so he did one, but it sucks in comparison. Give Mr Aplin a A1200, modern crossdev tools, and covid lockdown time it will probably be a different story
Probably even using a meg on an A500 might make a bit of difference, but i might be extra optimistic
Old 20 May 2021, 17:35   #548
VincentGR

I love Raiden, but I think is not possible on the Amiga.
Shinobi is, even with 25fps enemies.
Dunno about perfect arcade ports, but some of them like NBA Jam and Sunset Riders were available for the Megadrive.
Only if someone had the source.
Old 20 May 2021, 17:38   #549
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Probably even using a meg on an A500 might make a bit of difference, but i might be extra optimistic
I don't think you're extra optimistic.
If you look at Metro Siege, that's insane quality for A500 1MB.

Btw, Final Fight have already demo Aga port done by Leathered, who, very sadly, passed away.
Old 20 May 2021, 17:50   #550
CFou!

Quote:
CFou! I think that's doable. So reachable, and even without the source. And the code is probably very good.
Perhaps it's can be easy ressourced (and not too longer)

Quote:
Problem with bad ports is that they're impossible to improve: framerate is shit, coding doesn't use original sources, etc... so in that case creating something from scratch is the best option. And with good ports you can improve them but not tremendously.
you are right, for Dragon Ninja and another bad port type.
I encountered this difficulty with the EOB 1&2 AGA port. I should have replaced the horrible C ++ code for display by a 100% ASM code ... i didn't because it would have taken too long, maybe in another live ...

Quote:
I agree he did what he could, and the result was not so terrible due to technical constraints ...
Its adaptation of DoubleDragon2 seems really satisfying to me, but the game was achievable on an A500 without difficulty ....
Quote:
I don't have mcgeezer time (or skills!!) to create a complex game from scratch on amiga.
me too... and coding is not my real job...
Quote:
I did a few remakes but mostly java/c++. And assets or performance was hardly an issue. Even developping for Nintendo DS was easier than amiga asm coding.
I would also like to develop a game.
but I know myself, I would only do this addictively when I didn't was at the end of it.
It is therefore more reasonable for me not to start such a project !!
Old 20 May 2021, 17:53   #551
skyzoo73

As a Capcom fan, I would be ecstatic to have a port of TROJAN on the Amiga, even if it doesn't appear on the list and I don't know how many fans it has. In favor of Trojan I think it is a feasible port, given the simplicity of the gameplay and the difficulty of modern coders to replicate this aspect without help from the original developers. Not to mention the size of the sprites that also for the bosses are kept on small to medium sizes. Ditto for the music it doesn't seem to me to have an exaggerated number of contemporary instruments and I think it would fit well with the Amiga audio chip. However, returning to the top-rated ranking, Shinobi, Rastan, Wonderboy would be fantastic ports to have on the Amiga.
Old 20 May 2021, 17:58   #552
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
I don't think you're extra optimistic.
If you look at Metro Siege, that's insane quality for A500 1MB.

Btw, Final Fight have already demo Aga port done by Leathered, who, very sadly, passed away.
but Metro Siege is not an adaptation of arcade game...
it is easier to create a new game depending on the technical constraints of the machine than to port to a non-specialized and less powerful computer ...

With Metro Siege coder can optimize chip memory needed using more times parts of a body for different character for example... Not possible for an arcade port without modify character design...

for all the graphics of one level of FinalFight in AGA, it would already be a challenge I think to make them fit in 2MB of chip
Old 20 May 2021, 18:00   #553
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyzoo73 View Post
As a Capcom fan, I would be ecstatic to have a port of TROJAN on the Amiga, even if it doesn't appear on the list and I don't know how many fans it has. In favor of Trojan I think it is a feasible port, given the simplicity of the gameplay and the difficulty of modern coders to replicate this aspect without help from the original developers. Not to mention the size of the sprites that also for the bosses are kept on small to medium sizes. Ditto for the music it doesn't seem to me to have an exaggerated number of contemporary instruments and I think it would fit well with the Amiga audio chip. However, returning to the top-rated ranking, Shinobi, Rastan, Wonderboy would be fantastic ports to have on the Amiga.
Old 20 May 2021, 18:10   #554
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Myself i would be very happy if someone could do penguin adventure...
A not too difficult game to port to the amiga... Easy to enhance...
It's a really good game from konami which just exist on the msx.
If i could code, i would do this one.
Old 20 May 2021, 18:22   #555
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
for all the graphics of one level of FinalFight in AGA, it would already be a challenge I think to make them fit in 2MB of chip
then require fastmem and copy to chip only when displayed. All enemies aren't on screen at the same time.

But that would be a huge task anyway. and if the A.I. is poor, people will complain.

Personally I commit in a project only if I can roughtly see the steps and if I have something running quickly enough. I can't afford to spend 1 year full time on a project.
Old 20 May 2021, 18:31   #556
CFou!

Quote:
then require fastmem and copy to chip only when displayed. All enemies aren't on screen at the same time.

But that would be a huge task anyway. and if the A.I. is poor, people will complain.

Personally I commit in a project only if I can roughtly see the steps and if I have something running quickly enough. I can't afford to spend 1 year full time on a project.
I have the same reasoning
Old 20 May 2021, 20:14   #557
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Sometimes I wonder if some of DOS games could be ported to Amiga, like Master of Orion or Master of Magic.
Old 20 May 2021, 21:19   #558
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Sometimes I wonder if some of DOS games could be ported to Amiga, like Master of Orion or Master of Magic.
That would be amazing.
Actually, I was surprised that it Master of Magic didn't had Amiga version, because it's released when Amiga was still pretty popular.
I've only little played Master of Orion 1, but Moo2 is one of my top 5 games ever, and I play it occasionally almost 20 years.
It's a truly a masterpiece.
Old 20 May 2021, 22:24   #559
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:

I have Final Fight Arcade 68000 program disassembled and commented in English, but without the tilesmetadatas binaries.
Old 20 May 2021, 22:39   #560
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
That would be amazing.
Actually, I was surprised that it Master of Magic didn't had Amiga version, because it's released when Amiga was still pretty popular.
I've only little played Master of Orion 1, but Moo2 is one of my top 5 games ever, and I play it occasionally almost 20 years.
It's a truly a masterpiece.
Master of Orion/Master of Magic probably weren't ported because they really only work from HD on PC (the animations are quite large). They'd also need a lot of 880K disks. May just not have been cost effective.