English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 May 2021, 18:08   #41
Syntrax

What the amiga community needs, nobody can deliver. Unity.

Old 11 May 2021, 18:34   #42
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntrax View Post
What the amiga community needs, nobody can deliver. Unity.
Let's specify: NOT the gaming engine, rather all getting along together: classic, vampire, os4, morphos AROS, emulators and real hardware in harmony...
Old 11 May 2021, 18:41   #43
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
IOWs, make sure that there is certainly nobody willing to invest any money for creating software for the machine? Right, smart move.

What are you going on about, mate?
(I assume) dreadnought was talking about the messy copyright shitfest about the Amiga OS. With the current limbo situation, of course, investors are racing to see who will invest first in Amiga software.
Old 11 May 2021, 18:57   #44
Mathesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
There a several SPI solutions for a Amiga.

We need SPI standard, like AHI or P96, but for SPI.
We need more SPI device drivers, like network card, sound cards, MP3 player, what ever is available for a SPI.
+1
A spi.resource or spi.device or whatever. Open source with some examples would be awesome. Then even a hardware guy me can create a driver for hardware I make and instantly profit from sd/ahi/sana drivers that use it.
Old 11 May 2021, 19:12   #45
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I want to be able to code, and assemble directly on my Amiga. I know I can already, but the whole ease of use of Amiga OS is a bit off still, imo.

Looking forward to OS 3.2 in that regard.
Old 11 May 2021, 19:53   #46
Krashan
Hardware Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I know there's an I2C library that's more or less standard so any software can use any I2C hardware
In theory. This library was a fast hack at the start, with serious design flaws, then it stayed that way. The main problem is one can't have more than one I2C interface in the system, as it is impossible to have two libraries with the same name. Even having two identical interfaces (for example two clockport interfaces in an expander at different addresses) is not possible.
Old 11 May 2021, 20:26   #47
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krashan View Post
The main problem is one can't have more than one I2C interface in the system, as it is impossible to have two libraries with the same name. Even having two identical interfaces (for example two clockport interfaces in an expander at different addresses) is not possible.

That's the exact problem the Amiga's Device system exists to solve - a common interface where an application can specify a device name for specific hardware, and unit number for a specific instance of that hardware.
Old 11 May 2021, 22:00   #48
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
what are you going on about, mate?
(i assume) dreadnought was talking about the messy copyright shitfest about the amiga os. With the current limbo situation, of course, investors are racing to see who will invest first in amiga software.
+1
Old 11 May 2021, 22:03   #49
Daedalus

Ah, ripe for a re-do from scratch in device format then... Should still be doable in such a way that either method would work so older software using the .library can be used.
Old 12 May 2021, 01:12   #50
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
(I assume) dreadnought was talking about the messy copyright shitfest about the Amiga OS. With the current limbo situation, of course, investors are racing to see who will invest first in Amiga software.
Investors? (would be nice i know)
Old 12 May 2021, 12:58   #51
Thomas Richter

Quote:

Without any money coming it, Os 3.2 would not contain any Reaction classes, just to name one example. Not everyone works for free in this universe, and not everyone should be forced to work for free either. It is a choice you can take - and ignoring or forbidding copyright takes this choice from developers.
Old 12 May 2021, 13:06   #52
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Without any money coming it, Os 3.2 would not contain any Reaction classes, just to name one example. Not everyone works for free in this universe, and not everyone should be forced to work for free either. It is a choice you can take - and ignoring or forbidding copyright takes this choice from developers.
Mate, I think you misunderstood here. Nobody talks about ignoring/forbidding copyright, we are all adults here, not entitled kids. I am talking about finally resolving the messy copyright issues regarding Amiga OS.
Old 12 May 2021, 13:30   #53
Alpha One

I would like to have an ARIII like freezer module for A1200.
Old 12 May 2021, 17:21   #54
YouKnowWho
Banned

How about a good ol' 68030 accelerator, but with a 24bit graphic card and flicker fixer onboard?

THAT would be $399 USD well spent!
Old 12 May 2021, 17:37   #55
YouKnowWho
Banned

Personally, I'd like one of those single Zorro II add-ons for a 1200 like the RBM Onboard or Eyetech version. How is that not a product that's offered yet?

...if someone has one of the old versions, ping me, I'll pay good money for one. :-)
Old 12 May 2021, 17:52   #56
duga

AmigaOS 3.2.
Old 12 May 2021, 18:42   #57
deladrevoc
Not enough time

Amiga 5000
Old 12 May 2021, 19:35   #58
Seiya

maybe already said, but Amiga communicty needs software
Old 12 May 2021, 19:54   #59
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
How about a good ol' 68030 accelerator, but with a 24bit graphic card and flicker fixer onboard?

THAT would be $399 USD well spent!
The cost difference between that and, say, a Warp 1260, would probably not be that great. The complexity in the development will take up much of the cost, and the price difference between the '030 and '060 isn't all that huge so long as you don't want a crazy expensive Rev. 6 '060. So you're much better off going for the Warp when it's available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
Personally, I'd like one of those single Zorro II add-ons for a 1200 like the RBM Onboard or Eyetech version. How is that not a product that's offered yet?
Because such add-ons have long since been obsoleted by the Mediator, which offers similar functionality with much cheaper add-on cards, is faster than Zorro-II, and is still available commercially available.
Old 12 May 2021, 19:57   #60
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Because such add-ons have long since been obsoleted by the Mediator, which offers similar functionality with much cheaper add-on cards, is faster than Zorro-II, and is still available commercially available.
Yeah, but the broke cheapskates like me are STILL not covered despite tech advancements [range around or below $100]