English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 April 2006, 11:04   #1
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Fastest SCSI CDWriter for Amiga?

Just wondering what would be the fastest SCSI CD Writer for the amiga that is also supported by the CD software? (Classic AmigaOS)

I find this information hard to find from the MakeCD (3.2d beta 11) and BurnIt (2.65 + extra drivers) webpages. They are completely outdated.

As far as I can see, there are the following options:
1. Use SCSI-EIDE adapter and get one of the latest EIDE DVD Writer drives (supported?)
2. Yamaha CRW-F1ZS (int beige) / CRW-F1ZSN (int black) / CRW-F1ZSX (ext) (44W/24RW/44R) (supported?)
3. Plextor PX-W4012TS (internal) / PX-W4012TSe (external) (40/12/40) (supported by MakeCD) - see MakeCD history notes updated Nov 2005 from its webpage, which mentions PX-W4012S.
4. Traxdata 2410 (24/10/40) (supported by BurnIt)

Any help greatly appeciated.

Last edited by Calgor; 02 January 2009 at 15:32. Reason: Updated MakeCD details supports Plextor 40X, expanded model names
Old 25 April 2006, 11:18   #2
Jope
-

They are pretty standard, so don't worry too much about the compatibility.
Old 25 April 2006, 11:22   #3
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

But then why did BurnIt keep on adding new drivers every so often to support the later CD Writers?

Also, how would SCSI work with the SCSI-EIDE adaptor? (I know it will work for hard drives, but what about CD writers/DVD writers? Anyone used one with the adaptor?
Old 25 April 2006, 11:32   #4
DoctorQ
What?? Who?? DoctorQ!!

Send a message via MSN to DoctorQ
I'm using two 52xR/52xW/24xRW LG drives attached to SCSI-->IDE bridges, and it works just fine with MakeCD. Pretty quick as well.

On other Amigas I use PlexWriters, and on yet another machine I use Teacs 12xR/4xW. No problems with either of them.

If I were you I would go the SCSI bridge route. The drives are a lot cheaper, and you can pretty fast and pretty cheap upgrade to DVD-RW if you want to.
Old 25 April 2006, 12:59   #5
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Used a Yamaha external SCSI 20x10x40x Dive for quite a while with no problems.
Old 25 April 2006, 13:06   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Bare in mind that you will never be able to burn at the fastest speeds of most SCSI burners without errors / slowdown on an Amiga.

You just cannot get the data from the hard drive to the burner quick enough (unless you have say a Cyberstorm PPC).

The better SCSI controllers will average 3-4 Mbytes/sec and 40x CD speed is ~6Mbyte/s
Old 25 April 2006, 13:12   #7
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
i have a CDwriter HP 9200i SCSI and i can't burn with makeCD, it can't recognize my drive.

Does anyone can help me with this ?

Or give me the http adress for burn-it ?

Big thanks guys !! ^^
Old 25 April 2006, 14:16   #8
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Thanks for all the responses, I think I may have found my plan of action in there for the SCSI-EIDE adapter! Looks like all of the options will most likely work.

@alexh
I do indeed have a CSPPC so I don't think the amiga side will have a speed problem keeping up with any of the options on the SCSI bus.

@dlfrsilver
http://www.burnit.info/ - Looks like the MorphOS version supports Dual Layer DVD burning, but maybe not the older AmigaOS version
And it's only a demo version....

@DoctorQ
I already got a cheap LiteON DVDRW which is currently operating on the A4000 IDE as only a CD reader (speed limits, i know, haven't got round to playing with cd burner software yet).
If I put this on the SCSI with a SCSI-EIDE adapter, it sounds like I can use MakeCD to burn CDs at high speed like you do from your comments.
Will I also be able to burn DVDs too (which program)? And exactly which SCSI-EIDE adaptor did you get?
Old 25 April 2006, 14:30   #9
X-ray
Angry Kid Fan

I have a Yamaha 8/4/24 that I have used as an external and internal burner on the native SCSI of my A4KT and also on the CyberSCSI module of my MKII 060. I used MakeCD (these days I don't burn on the Amiga). The drive works fine.

@ dlfrsilver

In MakeCD, you sometimes have to select a different type of drive from what you would expect in the list. I tried quite a few variations and while I don't have the results jotted down, I know that one of the Ricoh drivers and the Atapi 3 driver works fine with my Yamaha. Perhaps you can experiment with a re-writable because you aren't out of the woods when the drive is detected, you still have to check that it can burn properly. I made many a coaster with MakeCD and MasterISO before I had the config right. The most irritating coaster is the one that screws up right at the end
Old 25 April 2006, 15:08   #10
DoctorQ
What?? Who?? DoctorQ!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor
If I put this on the SCSI with a SCSI-EIDE adapter, it sounds like I can use MakeCD to burn CDs at high speed like you do from your comments.
Will I also be able to burn DVDs too (which program)? And exactly which SCSI-EIDE adaptor did you get?
You should be able to burn DVDs with the use of FryingPan. I think you can find it on Aminet. Since I'm not using my A4000/CSPPC much these days I haven't gotten around using FryingPan yet, even though I have replaced the 2 x LG drives mentioned above with 2 x Sony DVD-RW drives a long time ago (didn't mention it above, since I have only used the DVD drives as reading drives, but have used the LG drives to burn CDs with).

I'm using 3 x ACard AEC7720UW in the A4000/BPPC setup, and 1 x ACard AEC7720U in my A1200/BPPC setup.
Old 25 April 2006, 16:02   #11
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Thanks, Frying Pan looks like it will do the trick, although it doesn't look like it supports Dual Layer or DVD-RAM.

For the SCSI-IDE adapter, looks like I will get an Acard since they seems so popular, maybe order direct from them as it seems to be cheaper.

@DoctorQ
I guess I can go for the ACard AEC7720UW Ultra Wide SCSI adaptor like you have - does this support providing termination power to the SCSI bus? - I don't think the CSPPC does, and I don't have any other (no other SCSI devices actually) that would be able to supply this power so I can properly active terminate the SCSI bus.

It appears that the 80MB/s Acard adapter (AEC-7722) does, not sure about the LVD 160MB/s one (AEC-7726Q) (I should be able to use these as they are backwardly compatible with UW SCSI i believe).

Acard Website link for reference: http://www.acard.com.tw/english/fb01...e&type1_idno=2
Old 25 April 2006, 17:01   #12
DoctorQ
What?? Who?? DoctorQ!!

Both the adaptors I use have jumper for term. enable and term. power. However, I have active terminators at both ends anyways, but when I'm going to build a new tower the system will be trimmed a bit, so the active terminators are going.
Old 25 April 2006, 17:30   #13
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Wow, jumpers both for term enable and term power. The ACard 80MB/sec according to the manual has only a jumper for term power, and the LVD 160MB/sec has no jumper for either term power or term enable. Maybe it doesn't do it, or maybe it is automatic.

Looks like I will get the UW 40Mb/sec version like you have just to be safe so i can setup my termination how i want. Thanks for all the info DoctorQ. Will ask Acard themselves about the other ones and their termination abilities.

btw, won't you still need termination on the bus for your tower? Unless your devices or scsl cable do it for you....
Old 25 April 2006, 18:08   #14
DoctorQ
What?? Who?? DoctorQ!!

Not if both drives at the end are terminated, and the terminator on the adaptors should be enough. Take a look at the manual for the 7720UW. There is a picture showing the backside of the adaptor. CN3 and CN4 are the ones used for terminating the device.
Old 27 April 2006, 09:00   #15
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
Bare in mind that you will never be able to burn at the fastest speeds of most SCSI burners without errors / slowdown on an Amiga.

You just cannot get the data from the hard drive to the burner quick enough (unless you have say a Cyberstorm PPC).

The better SCSI controllers will average 3-4 Mbytes/sec and 40x CD speed is ~6Mbyte/s
That's why there's a reason/possibility to overclock , with 68k overclocked in bppc the scsi-speeds increase too.