English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 September 2014, 12:56   #21
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
No, the DraCo has no protection at all in its roms. There are two A3000 40.68 roms (in Amiga-like standard format), and another one which patches the other two, and it is easily viewable.

BTW, thank you for the information about the Casablanca roms.
If you are interested I can send you the DraCo rom too.

I was wondering if it could be possible to close Casablanca CopyProtection Version 0.1 romtag by using RemLib (from PeterK´s Iconlib archive), so that it doesn´t get in the way

Maybe the DraCo can benefit from some of these modules, if they could be splitted and loaded with loadmodule, and in this way it could have a serious chance in running Casablanca software.
If Casablanca hardware is similar to DraCo. I thinked especially about
Toccata compatible sound card and Dmotion (DraCo Motion ?) graphic card, then most
Casablanca software can perhaps works for DraCo without problems, only casablanca.library
(converted to normal file library) must be stored in DraCo's Libs: dir.
I think that rest of DraCo modules is identical like Casablanca modules or
not important for external programs. Seems that main Casablanca program,
store or check for save/HDSernum value also.

For removing disk protection you can replace dracodisk.device module with
version from DraCo, due CopyProtection part is submodule of dracodisk.device.
Or you must modify/crack CopyProtection routine.
Old 28 September 2014, 19:30   #22
gulliver
BoingBagged

So, can you please build the casablanca.library v3.0?

The other approach can be to convert the CasablancaBootFile to DraCoBootfile format. Of course this will only work if both have the same memory map.

I am uploading the DraCoBootFile to The Zone!
Old 05 October 2014, 04:07   #23
Cylon

makes no sense

Quote:
The other approach can be to convert the CasablancaBootFile to DraCoBootfile format. Of course this will only work if both have the same memory map.
This would be useless as it is been understood that Casablanca has no GFX-Card and no CIA-Chips, so there is no GFX whatsoever (without the proper memory map) and no timing/input; where the input stuff could be obtained from RAW-Inputs, if at all.
So, there is too much difference between those two systems, the lack of *any* same component despite the ROM and some unified RAM will make it difficult to get hands on the internals.
Old 05 October 2014, 11:14   #24
gulliver
BoingBagged

@Cylon

The memory map is as far as we know the same, memory starts at the same location, and the DraCo I have has no CIAs and works great (CIAs were always sold as an additional optional).

The video grabbing hardware on both machines is the same, it even has the same autoconfig id, the only difference is that in the Casablanca, it comes as default and it is already integrated in the machine (in the DraCo, it was an additional optional).

The soundcard, scsi and floppy controller are the same.

They both have a working MMU and share almost all of the new romtags, with the notable exception of casablanca.library which seems to be the movieshop.library counterpart for the Cassie.

The big differences in hardware, are copy protection and gfx support.
The gfx card is just a framebuffer that overlays its output to the Dracomotion/CasablancaMotion video output by using the ovlgfx.library. There is already some code and hacks that managed to deliver some gfx output.

So, both systems are intimate related both on hardware and software. They surely have their differences, but so that you know, I had the chance to talk a while ago with a former Macrosystems employee who told me that all Casablanca software development was done on a DraCo, and that in fact, Movieshop 5.x (Draco) supports Casablanca effects.

Conclusion: I have both machines (2 DraCos and 1 Casablanca), and I can assure you, after careful inspection, that hardwarewise, there is very little difference between them, and so getting bootfiles converted to DraCo format, has a great chance of succeeding in turning it into a sort of Casablanca compatible device.

Last edited by gulliver; 05 October 2014 at 11:26.
Old 05 October 2014, 15:16   #25
Don_Adan

Quote:
So, can you please build the casablanca.library v3.0?

I am uploading the DraCoBootFile to The Zone!
Attached are both versions, it seems that this is identification only (?) library. Perhaps for correctly working on DraCo some ID data must be readed (via calling casablanca.library LVO's) from original Casablanca hardware. V2.1 is easiest to adapt.
Attached Files
File Type: lzx casanova.lzx (12.0 KB, 293 views)
Old 05 October 2014, 20:16   #26
gulliver
BoingBagged

Thank you Don!

I will give them both a test when I get home.
Old 05 October 2014, 23:59   #27
Cylon

Quote:
@Cylon

the systems are intimate related both on hardware and software. They surely have their differences, but so that you know, I had the chance to talk a while ago with a former Macrosystems employee who told me that all Casablanca software development was done on a DraCo, and that in fact, Movieshop 5.x (Draco) supports Casablanca effects.
Sorry, i have been unclear, i meant in relation to the Amiga hardware. The Cassie probably is close to the DraCo regarding hardware, but to make any use of it we need some Amiga (software) parts that are missing, like a visible console. Casablanca has in fact no graphics card, so whatever you try to show on screen is invisible.

Movieshop effects doesn't mean anything, this was just convenience for te developers.
Quote:
... that hardwarewise, there is very little difference between them, and so getting bootfiles converted to DraCo format, has a great chance of succeeding in turning it into a sort of Casablanca compatible device.
I wouldn't do that. It is my understanding that we need to copy the libraries from the Casablanca to the DraCo and then try to run Cassies software on the DraCo.
By letting the DraCo patch itself into a Casablanca you will probably lose all the features the DraCo needs for beeing Amiga compatible and you will bring the copyprotection to it as well.
Old 06 October 2014, 01:38   #28
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
Sorry, i have been unclear, i meant in relation to the Amiga hardware. The Cassie probably is close to the DraCo regarding hardware, but to make any use of it we need some Amiga (software) parts that are missing, like a visible console. Casablanca has in fact no graphics card, so whatever you try to show on screen is invisible.
Well, you are assuming lots of things, it seems that you havent experienced using and tinkering with both machines. They (the Draco and the Casablanca) have basically almost the same custom libraries and system software structure.

And I already told you there is a way to show things on screen. But if you feel uncomfortable at it, you can always redirect CLI output to a file or use pipes for redirecting console IO (many have done that already).

There is certainly a framebuffer, and software that shows arguments on screen so the "invisibility" thing is not true. It of course, still requires more knowledge than the average Joe to get the grip of it, but it is there.
Old 06 October 2014, 01:43   #29
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
By letting the DraCo patch itself into a Casablanca you will probably lose all the features the DraCo needs for beeing Amiga compatible and you will bring the copyprotection to it as well.
You are assuming a lot of things again. "Probably" doesnt make it reality, it just one of many possible outcomes
Old 11 October 2014, 21:26   #30
Cylon

Casablanca toccata sound

I'll check on that later. Meanwhile did anyone have an idea how to get some simple sound out of that machine?

I mean, it is toccata, and we have (at least) some informations about this card and how to get tunes out of it:

like this (from toccatasnoopy, Aminet):
Code:
* "toccata.library"
##base _ToccataBase
##bias 30
##public
T_NextFrequency(freq)(d0)
T_FindFrequency(freq)(d0)
T_SetPart(tags)(a0)
* original .fd file said: T_GetPart(num)(d0)
* which differs from the autodoc
T_GetPart(tags)(a0)
T_Capture(tags)(a0)
T_Playback(tags)(a0)
T_Pause(pause)(d0)
T_Stop(flags)(d0)
T_StartLevel(tags)(a0)
T_StopLevel()()
T_Expand(value,mode)(d0,d1)
T_SaveSettings(flags)(d0)
T_LoadSettings(flags)(d0)
T_RawPlayback(tags)(a0)
T_IoErr()()
##private
* the follwing four are using "pfile.library"
T_PF_Alloc(pfArgs,tags)(a0,a1)
T_PF_Free(context)(a0)
T_PF_Capture(context,tags)(a0,a1)
T_PF_Playback(context,tags)(a0,a1)
* could not analyse yet.
T_Unknown(p1,p2,p3,p4)(d0,d1,d2,a0)
* index is 0..12, reads results from an array
* maybe these are constants
T_GetDontKnowWhat(index)(d0)
T_ReturnNull()()
T_DoNothing()()
T_ReturnMinusOne()()
* all unused functions return 0.L
T_UnUsed1()()
T_UnUsed2()()
T_UnUsed3()()
T_UnUsed4()()
T_UnUsed5()()
T_UnUsed6()()
* mainly calls exec/obtainSemaphore
T_Own()()
* mainly calls exec/releaseSemaphore
T_Disown()()
* uses T_Own()/T_Disown
T_SetReg(reg,val)(d0,d1)
* uses T_Own()/T_Disown
T_GetReg(reg)(d0)
##end
I would really like to test some kind of 'playjingle' exe, just as a proof of concept.

*Edit: There is also a lot of developer informations on the official disk supplied with the card, but this stuff seems very old.

or this (from bsdamigasomethingidontremember):
Attached Files
File Type: c toccata.c (20.3 KB, 224 views)
File Type: zip toccata.DMS.zip (309.0 KB, 258 views)

Last edited by Cylon; 12 October 2014 at 23:36. Reason: title
Old 11 October 2014, 21:40   #31
Cylon

Display machine feedback on casablanca

There is currently no interaction possible between the user and the machine, hm, ironic isn't it?
So, how do we adress e.g. the VFD (yes, it is not a LCD it is fluorescent, maybe with a LCD interface), can we use the 'dracopar.device' from the DraCo? Unit 0?

Give it a try, please.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VFD-CU20025.pdf (120.4 KB, 270 views)
File Type: pdf vfd202.pdf (35.9 KB, 301 views)

Last edited by Cylon; 11 October 2014 at 22:37.
Old 12 October 2014, 05:04   #32
gulliver
BoingBagged

My guess, as there is no dracopar.device in the harddrive, is that it is adressed by bit banging the hardware at a certain address.

Another guess is that they may interface it using some form of modified LCDaemon.lha or lcd.lha scheme (Aminet). Macrosystem enjoyed reutilizing code, and not having to reinvent the wheel each time.

I had very little time this past week at home, and most of it was with family, so I couldnt do all the hacking that I wanted.

Anyway, gave casablanca.library a test. I managed to at least avoid the quick casablanca.library missing message, but it seems it gets into a crash later anyway.
Old 12 October 2014, 23:39   #33
Cylon

Is anybody of who is involved/interested in this project capable of doing audio programming, as suggested before, using the toccata.lib?
Would you please "stand up"?
Old 15 October 2014, 18:40   #34
Don_Adan

Quote:
My guess, as there is no dracopar.device in the harddrive, is that it is adressed by bit banging the hardware at a certain address.

Another guess is that they may interface it using some form of modified LCDaemon.lha or lcd.lha scheme (Aminet). Macrosystem enjoyed reutilizing code, and not having to reinvent the wheel each time.

I had very little time this past week at home, and most of it was with family, so I couldnt do all the hacking that I wanted.

Anyway, gave casablanca.library a test. I managed to at least avoid the quick casablanca.library missing message, but it seems it gets into a crash later anyway.
You must remember that casablanca.library returns some results, then library must be modified a few, if output results are checked. Also perhaps some Casablanca modules are newest than DraCo modules, then at first you can try to make new version of DraCo bootrom file, and check how it works on DraCo.
Old 15 October 2014, 18:45   #35
Don_Adan

Quote:
Is anybody of who is involved/interested in this project capable of doing audio programming, as suggested before, using the toccata.lib?
Would you please "stand up"?
Sorry, I don't have Toccata and VLabMotion. Perhaps for Amiga 68040 with MMU with Toccata and VLabMotion and modified (adapted for Amiga) draco modules most Casablanca software can works without problems.
Old 26 October 2014, 15:29   #36
Don_Adan

I checked latest (?) toccata.library v14.1 for Casablanca.
For me this is universal (Amiga/DraCo/Casablanca) library.
If any Toccata user can confirm if it works on real Amiga it will be nice.
Here is v14.1 version.
Attached Files
File Type: lzx TocaMe.lzx (8.9 KB, 216 views)
Old 26 October 2014, 23:32   #37
Cylon

I don't know if anybody is using toccata.lib at all these days. Most common is AHI, maybe only special software like the Movieshop will require toccata.lib.
Old 27 October 2014, 10:32   #38
Don_Adan

EaglePlayer 2 has Toccata-Amplifier.
It support direct output for all Amiga good (not only Toccata) soundcards which used toccata.library.
Exist much more programs which used tocata.library.
AHI is useless.
Old 29 December 2014, 04:01   #39
Cylon

I'll try to test toccata stuff on a draco this week, maybe with results usable for cassie too.
Old 08 January 2015, 22:59   #40
djkoelkast

Floppy disk

The Casablanca (classic) can actually have more than 32mb of internal memory.
Mine has got 48mb. It should be able to handle up to 128mb, but that's not something I can confirm, it's something I found online.

My versions are: 3.0.12X (2.11.99) and 2.7X (21.4.98)

I have a normal 68040 and a turbo 68060 Casablanca.
The 68060 also contains the Monument Titler and the PC Link package.
I've made some pictures with my phone.

Booting up the Turbo shows a date on the 1st boot screen (the other doesn't do that)

Also the about screens of both are attached (I only edited the pics to remove the serial number).

I also have a few software discs. If you need to know anything please ask, but be helpful too, I've only used them to actually make videos. One of them is a review I'm planning to post on YouTube soon (it's in Dutch though).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0330.JPG
Views:	539
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	42748   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0332.JPG
Views:	600
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	42749   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0331.JPG
Views:	614