English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 18 March 2022, 17:13   #1
NorthWay

680x0 opcode encoding - odd branches?

Is this summary correct and complete http://goldencrystal.free.fr/M68kOpcodes-v2.3.pdf ?

In the debate around the Vampire and suggestions for extending the instruction set I have been wondering about the branch instructions: Do all 680x0 variants trap when branching/jumping to an odd address?
Does branching to an odd address serve any other purpose than generating a trap?

Would it be an idea to have a supervisor-mode controlled setting that re-purposes odd branches for added opcodes? There are 127 of them for each 2-byte branch opcode from the top of my head (15*128 ?).

Last edited by NorthWay; 18 March 2022 at 17:32. Reason: 128 not 127
Old 18 March 2022, 17:52   #2
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
Is this summary correct and complete http://goldencrystal.free.fr/M68kOpcodes-v2.3.pdf ?
I wouldn't say it's complete as it's 68000 only.

Quote:
In the debate around the Vampire and suggestions for extending the instruction set I have been wondering about the branch instructions: Do all 680x0 variants trap when branching/jumping to an odd address?
Yes they all trap. But conditional branches trap only when the branch condition is true.

Quote:
Does branching to an odd address serve any other purpose than generating a trap?
No, unless you want to go to byte encoding.
This, however, was the initial plan from Moto : allow branching to odd address if some day some successor of the family does this - but this obviously never happened.

Quote:
Would it be an idea to have a supervisor-mode controlled setting that re-purposes odd branches for added opcodes? There are 127 of them for each 2-byte branch opcode from the top of my head (15*128 ?).
IIRC there has been a discussion long ago on the natami forum about this.
While in theory possible, value $FF (= 32-bit 020+ branch) comes in the way.
Old 18 March 2022, 18:00   #3
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Yes they all trap.
I believe you are right but I wonder about the 68008. Does it really behave exactly like a 68000 with cycle penalties for the halved memory bus? I think it is likely but I don't know.
Old 18 March 2022, 18:01   #4
NorthWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
While in theory possible, value $FF (= 32-bit 020+ branch) comes in the way.
Ok, but there is an ocean of pre-fixes or direct use 16-bit opcodes to pick from then that could be enabled by something like SetPatch / 680x0.library / per-task Exec call.

What was the verdict on the NatAmi forum on its feasibility?
Old 18 March 2022, 18:16   #5
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
I believe you are right but I wonder about the 68008. Does it really behave exactly like a 68000 with cycle penalties for the halved memory bus? I think it is likely but I don't know.
Even 68020, which can access misaligned data, will trap for branching to odd address - so it looks logic and consistent that 68008 also does.

Quote:
Ok, but there is an ocean of pre-fixes or direct use 16-bit opcodes to pick from then that could be enabled by something like SetPatch / 680x0.library / per-task Exec call.
If it needs to be enabled then we'll end up with cpu "modes" that will be a mess when disassembling code. I don't like this.
If we accept having several incompatible encodings, it's be IMO better to build a completely new one.

Quote:
What was the verdict on the NatAmi forum on its feasibility?
Not usable (for the purpose of extending the range of short branches, which was the idea then).