English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 26 May 2003, 09:09   #21
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

What is DeluxeChanger? I know I downloaded it back in the day, but I'm drawing a blank as to what it is. Same thing with DiskSqueeze. I used to be an apps junkie back then.
Old 26 May 2003, 09:30   #22
AmiGer

DeluxeChanger converts binary files (gfx, samples and so on) into source code (data commands) so you can recompile it into one executable. I think there were three possible languages you could choose from... assembler, c and ... ??? Hm, I don't know it anymore... Maybe I should have a look in winuae...
Old 27 May 2003, 03:28   #23
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
What is DeluxeChanger? I know I downloaded it back in the day, but I'm drawing a blank as to what it is. Same thing with DiskSqueeze.
IIRC DiskSqueeze is a disk image compression tool that uses LZX. You can convert DMS images to DSQ format and usually get better compression. It never really took off as DMS was well and truly entrenched as a standard by the time DiskSqueeze was developed.
Old 08 July 2003, 21:47   #24
kolorabi

Vampyra answered a request for help with an adventure game (in CU Amiga), and I was mentioned in an interview in AmigActive. I also got a letter published in that magazine.
Old 10 July 2003, 12:13   #25
Pyromania

I was a monthly writer for

Amiga News

Amiga Informer

Amazing Computing

and a few other mags

I was also the last Bandito in
Amazing Computing
Old 10 July 2003, 12:49   #26
FromWithin
Music lord

Any mags with photos of a Psygnosis team from 1992 onwards has probably got me in it, although I can't think of any Amiga mags that did.
Old 10 July 2003, 13:01   #27
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

OT

@fromwithin
Is there a list anywhere of the music you worked for Psygnosis?
Old 10 July 2003, 13:21   #28
LaundroMat

"MatrixGenerator" (a tool for the Shadowrun RPG) was reviewed in Amiga Computer (I think...). I never knew it, until someone told me. First wrote it in AMOS, and then remade it in glorious AmigaE with a MUI front-end. I'd rather they'd reviewed the MUI one, but anyway..
Old 10 July 2003, 17:47   #29
khephren

I had a program published in Amiga Computing that faded the RGB component unequally.

So for example the image would fade to a cyanish colour, then to blue and then to black. or the other way round so yellowish to red to black.

Basically a rip of Mediator's fade code in things like System Violation, just a little smoother
Old 11 July 2003, 08:34   #30
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I wrote articles and reviews for Amazing Computing/Amiga and Amiga Game Zone, plus some stuff for Amiga Report.
Old 11 July 2003, 11:13   #31
khephren

I did contact Amiga Doormat to see if they wanted a CLI guide written since a lot of peope for that magazine didn't have a clue.

I wrote a whole disk of text on each command, how to write scripts and Arexx and the sent it off. Few months later the bastards published there own, and followed the same layout I did in my text files.

All that work for bugger all, since then I hated the magazine pathologically !
Old 11 July 2003, 12:51   #32
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
OT

@fromwithin
Is there a list anywhere of the music you worked for Psygnosis?
*Amiga stuff*
Music/SFX: Bill's Tomato Game, Globdule, SuperHero, Indigo, Theatre Of Death, Last Action Hero, G2
SFX only: Combat Air Patrol, Armour Geddon 2, Brian The Lion, Wiz 'n' Liz, Prime Mover
Bits and pieces:
Flink, Microcosm, Dracula, Hired Guns,

*Playstation stuff*
Tenka, DestructionDerby2, DestructionDerbyRaw, Formula1, Formula1 98, Formula1 99, Krazy Ivan, Monster Trucks, Newman/Haas Racing, Psybadek, Mickey's Wild Adventure, Wipeout, Wipeout2097, Wipeout3

Other:
Super Dropzone, Dracula (MegaCD), Frankenstein (MegaCD), Sensible Soccer (MegaCD), Lemmings Paintball, ScavengerIV (FMTowns), Mega Apocalypse2 (SNES), Lemmings2 (SNES), Lemmings(Lynx)

There are probably a few I've forgotten about, and there was other stuff that I either did music for a promo video, play-tested, "donated" sound effects, did level design, drew some graphics, etc., but that's the main chunk of it.
Old 24 July 2003, 23:25   #33
lordsnooty

I had my third-rate Amiga fanzine publicised in Amiga Format, bless 'em.

After that I became a journalist, so I got my name in a lot of computer magazines. But sadly, the Amiga was pretty much finished by then (1997), so I never did get to write anything about it.
Old 26 July 2003, 04:17   #34
Frootloop

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
I wrote articles and reviews for Amazing Computing/Amiga and Amiga Game Zone, plus some stuff for Amiga Report.
Oh yeah, I remember Amiga Game Zone. I just went through my big pile of magazines (mostly Amiga World) and uncovered the first issue with the Alien Breed 2 cover. The magazine is all in black and white but very nice quality, and I liked the reviews - they had a British sense of humour, I think. Never bought any more issues after that, not sure how many more were released but I recall they had a lot of trouble getting issues out the door.

Too bad we never had any really big Amiga game magazines like Amiga Format (of which I only own one copy because they were quite expensive over here). I envied Europeans for their cool magazines.
Old 26 July 2003, 17:23   #35
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

That's wierd, coz I used to get the American stuff and think how cool it was to have proper tech, and no games
Old 26 July 2003, 19:22   #36
Frootloop

Roll eyes (sarcastic) Europe vs America

I guess you Europeans were flooded with game reviews while us North Americans had too little of them. I used to buy Amiga World magazine primarily for the game reviews, which conisted of about 4 small pages with about 2 or so big reviews and then capsule reviews with no screenshots. The rest of the magazine covered expensive hardware and applications, reader technical questions and some news and opinions.

And we didn't get as many games as you guys either. Most of the shops just stocked the most popular full price titles. You Europeans had cheap budget and re-release games. It would've been nice for me as a teen as I could've afforded to buy more games.
Old 26 July 2003, 20:14   #37
FromWithin
Music lord

It annoys me when I read things about the history of video games and they are so America-centric, and the Amiga was not really seen as a games machine in the US. The America-centric point of view is that games went Atari->Nintendo->PC->Current consoles.
Even the C64 doesn't seem to get much of a mention, bizarrely.

This is not the way things happened. The big publishers came from the Amiga (or from the C64 through the Amiga), not the Nintendo, but the Amiga was not so successful in the US so doesn't usually get in the picture apart from a passing reference.

One day, I'll write a properly researched book about it.
Old 27 July 2003, 01:10   #38
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Lol, well that doesn't surprise me. Rewriting history is what the Americans do best. U571 anybody?
Old 27 July 2003, 09:09   #39
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Echostryker
Lol, well that doesn't surprise me. Rewriting history is what the Americans do best. U571 anybody?
Hmmm...I am an American and I have no such personality disorder (re-writing history-itis). And I know where the Amiga and other computers fit in the hierarchy. I take it you wear a red coat, then?
Old 27 July 2003, 12:51   #40
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Oops, yeah I should really have been a bit more specific there, sorry. I was referring to Hollywood, not the whole of America and all its citizens.