English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 27 January 2003, 14:57   #21
dirkies
Zone Friend

still for me one of the biggest missing games in MAME

seems it's dumped but the hardware is very complex and thus hard to emulate...

here for info & MAME status
Old 27 January 2003, 16:35   #22
Djay
95th User

Rainbow Islands was great on the C64, not much difference on the Amiga

Creatures was ground-breaking on the C64, just another platform game on the Amiga

Wizball, was miles better on the C64, better music, the Amiga version was *too* polished
Old 13 May 2003, 12:16   #23
AmiGer

Paradroid is better on the C64 (not the gfx and sound of course)
It has 8-way-scrolling...
Old 13 May 2003, 14:25   #24
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Forgotten about this thread! If memory serves me correctly Fire & Ice was Andrew Braybrook's first all-out Amiga game,(where the Miggy version was the "lead" development machine. Note I DON'T mean his first amiga game,he'd done a few by that time of course!). Hence with his earlier Paradroid 90 conversion being developed with the ST as the "lead" machine, he probably changed it due to concerns over the ST's ability to handle 8-way scrolling.
Old 13 May 2003, 15:03   #25
blackcornflake

Bomb Jack. The Speccy version is one of my favourite games ever. I prefer the Speccy version to the arcade original, the C64 version, and certainly the Amiga version. The graphics aren't as colourful, the sound isn't as interesting, but the playability is just spot on.
Old 13 May 2003, 19:30   #26
JudasEZT

Creatures on Amiga its really boring and unisnspired,.. but Armalyte on Amiga is a crime. There isnt absolutely feeling of the original C64 game.

Someone mentioned RainbowIslands,.. I desagree completely with that. 16bits versions were awarded as better 16bits games of that year. I guess C64 version could be slighltly better than was. even its very good.

To me Shinobi on C64 is a cool game. Amiga version (and resting home systems) are very bad.
Old 11 December 2004, 02:11   #27
amigaade
Zone Friend

I think most posters have pointed out the stinkers already.
The thing that strikes me is when a game is written for a specific machine by programmers that know its weaknesses and strengths, it's almost impossible to port it over, even to superior technology, sometimes better ISN'T. WIZBALL and HAWKEYE being the examples that standout most, cos I was gagging for them.
Remember going to one of the old PCW shows at Earls Court, just after the release of BUGGY BOY on C64 and they had the Amiga + ST versions on show. Standing with a few mates I made a comment that they looked pretty shite. Unfortunatly I was standing next to the ELITE programmer who dropped on me like a ton of bricks, shouting and raving like a loony, asking what gave me the right to comment about the game.
I replied as I was expected to pay out for it, then I had every right and it was crap that I wouln't be paying for. He stormed off !!! (whoops)
Old 11 December 2004, 02:37   #28
blackcornflake

lol, nice one.

Here's hoping said programmer isn't a member of EAB and gets all upset again. Ya big meanie.
Old 11 December 2004, 08:43   #29
HCF
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigaade
I think most posters have pointed out the stinkers already.
The thing that strikes me is when a game is written for a specific machine by programmers that know its weaknesses and strengths, it's almost impossible to port it over, even to superior technology, sometimes better ISN'T. WIZBALL and HAWKEYE being the examples that standout most, cos I was gagging for them.
Remember going to one of the old PCW shows at Earls Court, just after the release of BUGGY BOY on C64 and they had the Amiga + ST versions on show. Standing with a few mates I made a comment that they looked pretty shite. Unfortunatly I was standing next to the ELITE programmer who dropped on me like a ton of bricks, shouting and raving like a loony, asking what gave me the right to comment about the game.
I replied as I was expected to pay out for it, then I had every right and it was crap that I wouln't be paying for. He stormed off !!! (whoops)
Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's shitty and you can insult people, you are free not to pay for something you don't like (and realize that the poor guy probably had hundreds of lamers comment on his or other games )...

With regards to lousy conversions, Mission Elevator is the only one that comes to mind...On the C64 a fun game, it lacks the fun element on the Amiga and the graphics are rather poor...
Old 11 December 2004, 10:25   #30
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCF
Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's shitty and you can insult people, you are free not to pay for something you don't like (and realize that the poor guy probably had hundreds of lamers comment on his or other games )...

With regards to lousy conversions, Mission Elevator is the only one that comes to mind...On the C64 a fun game, it lacks the fun element on the Amiga and the graphics are rather poor...
Bullshit. It's the real world. You put something out that asks Amigaade to pay money, and Amigaade thinks it rubbish not worth buying, and he freely states it. That's life baby.
Old 11 December 2004, 10:32   #31
Tolismlf

Some times when you are used to a game on 8 bit machine and you love it, you expect something special when it comes to a far better machine as the Amiga was. That's the reason why you are saying Armalyte and Creatures werenot good on the Amiga, not that they are bad games actually. I remember playing Shinobi on the 8 bits and it was a cool game, but when i played it on my Amiga it got me sick, and it was really a crap on the Amiga. Even the Sega Master System or the NES could have done a better conversion.
Old 11 December 2004, 10:39   #32
Tolismlf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck
Bullshit. It's the real world. You put something out that asks Amigaade to pay money, and Amigaade thinks it rubbish not worth buying, and he freely states it. That's life baby.
I agree, if you have to pay to buy something you also have the right to comment it if you don't like it! It's a free world out there...
Old 12 December 2004, 07:30   #33
HCF
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolismlf
I agree, if you have to pay to buy something you also have the right to comment it if you don't like it! It's a free world out there...
Comment != Insult...Nobody likes to have their work insulted no matter if it is a computer program or whatever else and if you don't like something, nobody forces you to pay for that...I'd have no spare minute left if I always complained about everything I don't like...
Old 12 December 2004, 09:28   #34
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCF
Comment != Insult...Nobody likes to have their work insulted no matter if it is a computer program or whatever else and if you don't like something, nobody forces you to pay for that...I'd have no spare minute left if I always complained about everything I don't like...
geezus.
Old 12 December 2004, 14:45   #35
FromWithin
Music lord

Shoot 'em up Construction kit was dreadful on the Amiga. Really shocking compared to the C64 one.

You can blame System 3 for the Amiga Last Ninja 2 being a straight ST port. Apart from the wondrous music conversion (ahem), the developers had no incentive (or resources) to make any enhancements. But while not as good as the C64 one, it's not bad at all.

It strikes me that most of the bad C64->Amiga conversion were due to the Amiga version being a straight ST port. I can't think of any that weren't. Somebody mentioned Flimbo's Quest, but I remember the Amiga one being really good.
Old 12 December 2004, 18:45   #36
IFW

Flimbo does not deserve to be here.
It is miles ahead of the C64 version for a change.
However check out the ST version...
Old 12 December 2004, 19:22   #37
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
don't ya dare bad mouthing Flimbo's
Old 12 December 2004, 22:49   #38
plasmatron
Zone Friend

Flimbo is a touch better on c64 than on AMIGA. But I love tham booth much.
One of my top 5 games of all times.

CYBERNOID1 and 2 was also crap on the AMIGA. The SIDs by MON are the best SIDs ever. Especially the title tune of CYBERNOID 2. God I love Jeoren`s tunes. But the AMIGA musics of CN2 suxx.
Old 12 December 2004, 23:29   #39
Peanutuk

It seems that during the time when 8-bit games were being converted to 16-bits the main pulling point for any 16-bit games was the graphics. No matter how good a conversion it was if you were asking £25 just to play a great 8-bit game on your Amiga not many people would buy it, especially as you could just buy the 8-bit version. How many people passed up on buying Head Over Heals on the Amiga solely because it looked like a Spectrum game? (I know that it was released on the Hit Squad for a tenner but that kind of proves the point).

It seems that those who made the conversions messed up by trying to make the graphics more 16-bit so they would look nice on the back of the box rather than accomodate them around the mechanics of the game. Hence some people's opinion, even in the early 90's, that the 8-bits had better games than the 16-bits.
Old 13 December 2004, 15:29   #40
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromWithin
Shoot 'em up Construction kit was dreadful on the Amiga. Really shocking compared to the C64 one.
I recall an interview in The One Magazine with Jon Hare & Chris Yates & they'd mentioned hating the 16bit conversion-they'd even expressed a desire to "we-write", again & do the job properly for a sequel-sadly it never seemed more than an idea though.