English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 02 July 2017, 23:59   #1881
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
i also wrote to the author of Icon Editor for a possible porting its great program of OS3
Paul Author of Icon Editor He replied kindly to me saying that, the biggest problem with getting Icon Editor to work on OS3 is that it requires the png.iconmodule (png_im on os4depot.net) by Massimo Tantignone.
Old 03 July 2017, 00:52   #1882
PeterK

Massimo Tantignone lives next to you, AMIGASYSTEM
And I'm not a good icon designer anyway.

BTW, the two converted icons are displayed now on OS 4.0. Thanks James !

Update to icon.library 46.4.454:

The PNG icon GlowRevolution2/Little/MView.info was not decoded since 46.4.446. Fixed.
Old 08 July 2017, 13:55   #1883
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

For me the PeterK Icon.Library is essential. (the Speed and accurate colours are just awesome )

The latest version running stable on the Amiga 600 Furia V2. (amiga OS3.9 BB2)
(there where Icon.Library versions that made the Furia unstable)

Thanks Peter
Old 08 July 2017, 15:27   #1884
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Didnt test it in ages. Does it still convert true color png icons in a destructive way and saves them as files that my Scalos AfA combo cant read. I see only the 4 color version or even worse a total mess. As cool as it is to have fast icons on classics it sucks that it destroys the original file. Should be a standalone converter for recursive batch conversion and a new entry in the tools menu for single files.

Sent from mTalk on W10M...
Old 08 July 2017, 16:00   #1885
PeterK

@Nibbler

Many thanks for your feedback, Nibbler!

Do you still remember which icon.library versions made your system unstable and what has happened exactly?

@Michael Sykes

Please, tell me what a Scalos AfA_OS combo is? I know both, but not combined.

It's correct that my icon.library always converts PNG and OS4 TrueColor icons into the OS 3.5 format as soon as it displays them. But it will ask the user with a requester if he really wants to write them in the OS 3.5 format when he tries to save the converted icons. The OS 3.5 format should also be readable by Scalos and AfA_OS.

Usually, AfA_OS has its own "icon_lib.exe", and as long as that library is installed in AfA_OS_LIBS: then AfA will do nearly all the icon handling itself. Scalos has also its own iconobject system and won't use my icon.library functions, too. In both cases nothing will get faster or would be converted by my library.

I guess, your experience with my library was a very long time ago. At that time it was still using external PNG datatypes and the zlib.library for the decoding. All that is not required any more.
Old 08 July 2017, 16:16   #1886
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Not on my PC atm but it should be the latest scalos beta and the latest afa os. one more thing, will it still snapshot the icon if i press no? in fact i would be fine with that solution.

Old 08 July 2017, 16:28   #1887
PeterK

IMHO, it makes not much sense to combine AfA and Scalos, running both at the same time. That should result in conflicts, but ok, I've never tried it out.

If you cancel the "Icon format change" requester then nothing will happen. A snapshot of PNG icons would be aborted. For the OS4 icons a simple snapshot is possible, because these icons are using the Amiga "DiskObject" structure unlike PNG icons which are in a non-standard format.
Old 08 July 2017, 17:17   #1888
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

So look at their beauty is all we can do without killing them on clasic. thanks for explaining that. And yes you are right about the conflicting afa and scalos. So I went for png only on that setup. It shows most icons fine but also messes up some os3.5 or 4 icons in general and glow/new icons on snapshot operations.

That is why it is a bit sad there is no way to snapshot pngs on the classic. once they are converted I only see the 4 color version on the big box. I wish someone with skills and lots of time would merge the the afa skin system into scalos... but i guess both authors(teams) abandoned their projects years ago. If I could at least use the skins from afa without the iconlib exe so that scalos would do the icon rendering alone. It is great and would even scale the icons in realtime. Neat on a UHD workbench.

Old 08 July 2017, 19:21   #1889
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sykes View Post
... the conflicting afa and scalos. So I went for png only on that setup. It shows most icons fine but also messes up some os3.5 or 4 icons in general and glow/new icons on snapshot operations.
Both, AfA 4.7 and Scalos 41.8 are able to display OS 3.5, OS4 and PNG icons perfectly, at least on Hi/TrueColor screens. You can also snapshot these icons and nothing will get worse. But if you switch into a screenmode with 8 bits or less, AfA will only show 4-color PNG and OS4 icons without my library and Scalos refuses to show them at all.

Quote:
That is why it is a bit sad there is no way to snapshot pngs on the classic. once they are converted I only see the 4 color version on the big box.
If you snapshot and convert icons with my library they should still appear on AfA or Scalos in up to 255 colors and a simple transparency, just without the softer alpha blending. There must be something really wrong configured in your AfA/Scalos combo.

Here is an example screenshot from AMIGASYSTEM:
http://eab.abime.net/attachment.php?...7&d=1498898041
You should still get the icon quality as shown in the right window (OS 3.9).

Last edited by PeterK; 08 July 2017 at 19:30.
Old 09 July 2017, 10:54   #1890
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

@PeterK

I think it was the last Aminet version that made the WB3.9 BB2 unstable with the A600 FuriaV2 installed.

When i was opening drawers the workbench would mostly lock up (Freeze). Sometimes even Shell windows froze.

The newest version (from EAB) Works for a few days now. Not a single freeze so far. I think i will keep that version.
Old 09 July 2017, 11:36   #1891
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes PeterK i confirm, no problem viewing and saving the icons PNG and OS4 on AFA OS and ScalOS. Scalos can live with AFA OS, i do not use Scalos but when I have to test something I run ScalOS from the Workbench (see screenshots), the same thing with Dopus5 Magellan.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 16 September 2017 at 01:34.
Old 09 July 2017, 14:51   #1892
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
@PeterK

I think it was the last Aminet version that made the WB3.9 BB2 unstable with the A600 FuriaV2 installed.

When i was opening drawers the workbench would mostly lock up (Freeze). Sometimes even Shell windows froze.

The newest version (from EAB) Works for a few days now. Not a single freeze so far. I think i will keep that version.
That's very strange, because you are using WB 3.9 like me, and I never had such a problem with freezes.

There was a similar problem for WB 3.0/3.1 for the versions 46.4.438-450 which was fixed in the last Aminet release 46.4.451.

Are you sure, that you didn't change something else in your system, too. Can you still reproduce this issue when you install the older (bad) icon.library again?
Old 09 July 2017, 15:14   #1893
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Yes PeterK i confirm, no problem viewing and saving the icons PNG and OS4 on AFA OS and ScalOS. Scalos can live with AFA OS, ....
Thank you for testing such a combination, AMIGASYSTEM. But are there any problems with OS 3.5 icons and NewIcons like Michael has reported it?
Quote:
It shows most icons fine but also messes up some os3.5 or 4 icons in general and glow/new icons on snapshot operations.
Old 09 July 2017, 22:04   #1894
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Thank you for testing such a combination, AMIGASYSTEM. But are there any problems with OS 3.5 icons and NewIcons like Michael has reported it?
No problem with NewIcons, no problem with any icon, well even the converted Windows icon. I attach my old video where many icons are shown and And more video to convert image PNG to Icon

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 16 September 2017 at 01:34.
Old 09 July 2017, 22:45   #1895
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Quote:
That's very strange, because you are using WB 3.9 like me, and I never had such a problem with freezes.

There was a similar problem for WB 3.0/3.1 for the versions 46.4.438-450 which was fixed in the last Aminet release 46.4.451.

Are you sure, that you didn't change something else in your system, too. Can you still reproduce this issue when you install the older (bad) icon.library again?
Youre right Peter .
It was a cheap CF-Adapter that just bit the dust.

Icon.Library
Old 09 July 2017, 22:50   #1896
PeterK

@AMIGASYSTEM

Nice videos with lots and lots of icons. I'm glad that I don't have ALL of them because then I would need several hours for testing after every compilation of my library.

Your new screenshots are from AfA or Scalos, but Michaels problem occurs under AfA+Scalos, running both together.
Old 09 July 2017, 22:54   #1897
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
Youre right Peter .
It was a cheap CF-Adapter that just bit the dust.

Icon.Library
Thanks a lot for clarifying that, Nibbler
Now I will sleep much better this night!
Old 09 July 2017, 23:11   #1898
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
@AMIGASYSTEM

Your new screenshots are from AfA or Scalos, but Michaels problem occurs under AfA+Scalos, running both together.
Also my AFA OS and ScalOS they are together but on separate screens, you can not have both on the same screen, i did not succeed
Old 09 July 2017, 23:26   #1899
PeterK

Yes, it's normal that both are using their own screen. But Michael tries to merge features from both systems on the same screen, if I understand him right. He would like to use AfA's skins and the realtime icon scaling of Scalos together on only one desktop.
Old 09 July 2017, 23:53   #1900
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes Skin can be shared, but there are things that you can not share as an example AmiSart looks.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 10 July 2017 at 02:46.