English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 29 September 2007, 01:14   #1
Stokey

FroggerNG keyfile

1st of all, Hi to everyone on EAB.

Now down to business. I registered Frogger many years ago, but since then someone else has taken over development and my keyfile isn't valid for the new version. I've tried the website but the registration link doesn't work. Is there any way to register, or maybe get a public keyfile?

Failing that, are there any good 68k only movie players apps that support modern codecs?

Thanks in advance,
Stokey.
Old 29 September 2007, 04:21   #2
woody57

It is quite clear Stokey that you are asking for SUPPORT to be directed too a public key because, the latest version of Frog player for Amiga does not RECOGNISE YOUR LEGALLY PURCHASED KEYFILE.

Or a way to PURCHASE a new one that does work !

I would have thought going back to the OLDER,LAST WORKING version was ALL you needed to do imediatly as the way I used to get round AVI wmv problems was using file conversion program's.

However I do not know which of the versions your running 68K or PPC as these were the last two I used myself.

I know that there were crossplatform version,s made by the original developers...but since I have NOT used a working REAL Amiga for 2 years I cannot comment on what has happen to this player since.

What I can say is that Aminet USED to carry quite a few mpeg film players that worked up to the speed of the B or C Vision grapics card added.

Can you clear up whether infact you are trying to use this program via EMU or real amiga so at least we can get past any earlier mis-understanding

I certainly believe your question deserves a bit more research which will be assisted by your answers

Thank you

Last edited by woody57; 29 September 2007 at 20:19.
Old 29 September 2007, 04:52   #3
woody57

I have just noticed my OLD link http://frogger.rules.pl/downloads.html

Still has downloadable version files ..BUT as Stokey says the registration link is dead ...searches of the net do NOT imediatly throw up any answers eiether ...this problem is common for many OLD Amiga apps however it would be the 1st time updates were unsupported by legally held keys ...to my experience anyway

Do we have a REAL mystery ??
Old 29 September 2007, 05:33   #4
Stokey

To clarify the situation, I'm currently trying to use my keyfile with the 68k version under UAE, as my A4000/PPC is currently out of action. The last time I used Frogger was with full PPC support. Looking at the docs in the current download, only one price is mentioned, so it appears registration is not dependent on platform.

The documents do say that older keyfiles should work. I launched Frogger and monitored it with SnoopDos, it looks for a few variations in filename, and in the usual places for keyfiles (PROGDIR:, S:, etc). I'll try making copies to cover all filenames, and populate all the relevant directories.

I've mailed Elf, but the website hasn't been updated for about 3 years, so I'm not hopeful. I'll post any progress here.
Old 29 September 2007, 06:13   #5
woody57

So have you had Frogger working under winUAE before adding recent updates or is it your 1st install under emu ?

I had my version working in EMU under an old release of Amikit & OS3.9 however I ceased testing when the Amikit developer created community problems.

So I cannot comment on recent winUAE releases compatabilty with this application
Old 29 September 2007, 06:28   #6
Stokey

This is the first time I've used Frogger under UAE. It works well, but because my keyfile isn't recognised I can only view the first 30% of the video, after that it's sound only. Which is a real shame, it's been able to handle most of my downloaded movies at full framerate.

Personally I don't use AmiKit. It's a great package for beginners, but the number of files and the amount of diskspace required is exactly the opposite of what i expect from AmigaOS.
Old 29 September 2007, 06:38   #7
woody57

I totally agree about the inefficiencey of amikit "painting by numbers" front end lol

I was only pointing out the robustness of the older winUAE versions which it CANNOT run without

It was the OLDER versions that tended to be more compatable with certain keyfile extended apps.

I must do an install myself & see if I get the same results with Toni Wilens latest version
Old 29 September 2007, 06:43   #8
Stokey

Actually, although Amikit isn't to my tastes, I did use it to get a working AmigaOS in WinUAE, which I used to create a clean OS3.9 partition. However, I'm sure I don't have to point out how absurd it is to use a 120MB installed environment to get a sub 20MB AmigaOS.
Old 29 September 2007, 06:44   #9
woody57

Old 29 September 2007, 06:58   #10
woody57

Staying On Topic

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=30558

The above thread outlines some of the problems in using the versions of winUAE above 1.42 with Frogger NG perhaps this answers BOTH our questions
Old 29 September 2007, 07:12   #11
Stokey

I just tried rolling WinUAE back to v1.42, but it hasn't solved the problem. I'll give 1.33 a try.

Update: 1.3.3 didn't fix the registration issues, and degraged playback. I found a post in the MorphZone forums that indicate this problem happens under MorphOS too, so it looks like I'm depending on Elf still receiving mails sent to his last known address.

Last edited by Stokey; 29 September 2007 at 07:30.
Old 29 September 2007, 07:42   #12
thomas

@Stokey:

The original Frogger keyfile is only valid for the PPC version. But as a registered user you can e-mail the author and he will send you a keyfile for the 68k version for free. At least this is how it worked when the 68k version first appeared.
Old 30 September 2007, 14:30   #13
Stokey

I carried on searching for info and found a keyfile for download (tut tut). I compared it against mine and had a brainwave. I changed the first 4 bytes of my keyfile and it works!

Edit: No, it doesn't work. There was some delay writing the changes to disk, the keyfile worked because it wasn't changed.

Last edited by Stokey; 30 September 2007 at 15:24.
Old 01 October 2007, 07:46   #14
woody57

Do you mean ?

err.....it does not work

or

errr.....for some miracle beyond reason it has SUDDENLY decided to accept where you PUT a copy of your original keyfile ???
Old 01 October 2007, 20:59   #15
Stokey

I meant that hex editing my keyfile didn't work. After saving the file over the one I found, I launched Frogger and tried to skip forward in a movie, and was able to see the video, but the found keyfile had not been overwritten. I was copying a lot of files between harddrives at the time, and this seems to have prevented Zaphod (the hex editor I use) from writing to disk.
Old 08 October 2007, 00:34   #16
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Funny conclusions then!

Why not retry everything when you are NOT copying heaps of files between harddrives? That way you do not have any discussion basis when saying "doesn't work"!
Old 08 October 2007, 10:36   #17
laser
Banned

if anyone needs a FroggerNG keyfile I can upload a working one to the zone if that is allowed by moderators
Old 09 October 2007, 15:02   #18
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
if anyone needs a FroggerNG keyfile I can upload a working one to the zone if that is allowed by moderators
Is it still supported/developed/sold?

Is it still relatively new?

If so then NO
Old 09 October 2007, 15:48   #19
Stokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas View Post
Funny conclusions then!

Why not retry everything when you are NOT copying heaps of files between harddrives? That way you do not have any discussion basis when saying "doesn't work"!
If I've concluded that it didn't work, then I obviously DID retry when not copying heaps of files. There was no discussion basis when I said it didn't work, because it didn't work. Seem's pretty clear to me.
Old 09 October 2007, 15:50   #20
Stokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
Is it still supported/developed/sold?

Is it still relatively new?

If so then NO
Still supported/developed/sold? Not for more than 3 years now. Relatively new? Not at over 3 years old.

Anyway, no need to put it into the zone. Google will provide a download link.