English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 30 December 2021, 07:56   #1
NZJeux27

Help setting up a cross complier keep getting stuck

Hi Team,

I'm looking for some better guidance in setting up a C cross complier (or even one on my actual Amiga IDC where). I have been trying a few different ways and trolling through forums, websites, and blogs trying to get one that just works without having to spend six weeks learning random things.

I have gone though a couple instructions sets which i'll cover:

https://github.com/bebbo/amiga-gcc

I got GCC installed and i can see it as a optional complier in VSCODE i just don't know what to do next to get set up and going, all the instructions i have found stop after installing.

https://github.com/prb28/vscode-amiga-vbcc-example

I got this installed, and it actually works fine. But whenever i want to include header files from within the VBCC targets (like exec.h or types.h) i get the error

"cannot open source file "exec/types.h" (dependency of "exec.h")C/C++(1696)"

I know what the error wants/is saying, that in exec.h it has an include to types.h it cannot find. I just don't know what to do about it, I fix types.h then another includes breaks and I can see myself spending four hours fixing header files.

I got AsmOne 1.02 working on my Amiga which is fine, just don't want to have to use it or the emulator every time i want to code for my Amiga. Just getting really frustrated trying to get something to work, i just want to code not spend a lifetime learning the ins and outs of compliers or VSCode internals jsut to get going.

thank you
Old 26 January 2022, 15:29   #2
sparhawk

I have a repo which uses CMake. Since you already installed bebbo's gcc suite, it should be fairly easy to use.
https://github.com/skeetor/amiga-utils
There are a lot of examples showing how to do C/C++ and ASM both mixed, or each one separately, as well as examples on how to build either libraries and use them in a mixed setup. Should IMO cover all kind of build scenarios.
There is also a library with all kind of helpful functions which can also be used both from C/C++ as well as from ASM where each one has a fully working sample project to demonstrate it.

I don't do much with it right now, as I work on some other projects, but the existing code is working and demonstrated.
Old 26 January 2022, 21:58   #3
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZJeux27 View Post
"cannot open source file "exec/types.h" (dependency of "exec.h")C/C++(1696)"
From the structure of this error message I would assume this is a VSCode error. It's definitely not coming from vbcc.

Probably the GUI wants to load and check your header file. I have never worked with VSCode myself, but there must be an option to define the path. You may have to ask prb28.