English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 13 January 2022, 21:17   #1
rabidgerry

Trying to Mount Bin file backup

Hi all, had a bit of situation with my main CF card last night. Anyways, it's messed up and I was planning on restoring to a backup from November which isn't too bad.

However when I went to write the bin file back to CF card using my img to usb software it said this time the img was too big for the device.

I've done this a million times btw and never had this problem.

Anyways the backup appears to be a sector too large.

So it's forced me to look at trying to mount the bin file somehow.

After messing about with this all day in WINUAE, I've decided to try and get help. I have tried diskimage.m68k-aos.tar.bz2 and I can't get it to do anything. Even using the GUI. The best I can get is a non dos icon to appear on workbench.

Tried the command lines, and as usual the guide is as clear as mud to me. Give it a bash but can't get anything. Got more with the GUI version, but not much.

I have also tried to mount the bin file same way I do a HDF and still nothing. Even in RGB mode I can't get it to show up.

Tried mounting as a cd but that didn't work either.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get bin file mounted? I would very much like to copy the entire drive to a different location, so I can then put it back on a CF card and get one with my Amiga life.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 13 January 2022, 22:36   #2
thomas

A plain binary image of a CF card should mount just fine as a HDF. It should automatically switch to RDB mode and just work.

Anyway, in the add hardfile / hardfile settings window, above the "New hard disk image file" headline there are two output fields. Please post their contents after you selected the image file.
Old 14 January 2022, 00:09   #3
rabidgerry

Well that's what I thought too.

Here you go:

Old 14 January 2022, 00:39   #4
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Hi all, had a bit of situation with my main CF card last night. Anyways, it's messed up and I was planning on restoring to a backup from November which isn't too bad.

However when I went to write the bin file back to CF card using my img to usb software it said this time the img was too big for the device.

Check that there are no more partitions on the CF, on a PC with a program that manages partitions try to delete the partition.

Quote:
I have also tried to mount the bin file same way I do a HDF and still nothing. Even in RGB mode I can't get it to show up.

If you mounted the BIN file as a slave, check that the volumes do not have the same name, to solve this, change the volume name to HD system.
Old 14 January 2022, 10:02   #5
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Here you go:
Looks good to me. Is it the only harddrive in this config? If not, try it as the only one. If it works, keep it as the first one and add futher drives below it.

If it still does not work, boot with the file mounted and run this: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.../hddreport.lha
Attach the report here. Please use the "manage attachments" button of the forum, do not use an external provider.
Old 14 January 2022, 11:11   #6
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Check that there are no more partitions on the CF, on a PC with a program that manages partitions try to delete the partition.

No there never is when I make a cf card as I always use clean in diskpart then copy write image to CF card.

Quote:
If you mounted the BIN file as a slave, check that the volumes do not have the same name, to solve this, change the volume name to HD system.

No just keep loading to the insert floppy screen, the bin backup is not being detected at all.
Old 14 January 2022, 11:15   #7
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Looks good to me. Is it the only harddrive in this config? If not, try it as the only one. If it works, keep it as the first one and add futher drives below it.
Tried to boot it with another HDF and see if I can see the partitions that way but it didn't work either.

Quote:
If it still does not work, boot with the file mounted and run this: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.../hddreport.lha
Attach the report here. Please use the "manage attachments" button of the forum, do not use an external provider.

Ok so boot say using another HDF, and also with the bin file mounted, then run that?

Will give it a shot.
Old 14 January 2022, 11:51   #8
rabidgerry

Here you go. I don't think the bin file was picked up though.

The HDF I am using to boot with is almost the same as the backup, as in it has 4 partitions etc and named the same. Why not use it? I could, but I'd rather go back to the backup file. It was only created as a test HDF to work from and do stuff on in WINUAE.

***edit*** Just noticed in this screen grab below the bit where it says blocks is actually the reason it can't be written to cf card again

31522177 blocks is what it says the image file is when I get an error trying to write and 31522176 is what it says the device is. This is in Windows obviously.

Attached Files
File Type: txt hddreport.txt (24.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by rabidgerry; 14 January 2022 at 12:03.
Old 14 January 2022, 14:43   #9
thomas

Yes indeed, it's not in the report.

As I said you should put it on the top of the list.

Also don't make it so complicated, use a small config with either only the suspicious image or at most one other HDF with only one partition and a clean unexpanded OS installation.

Finally don't use space characters in path names. Try to rename the Amiga HD Image directory into Amiga_HD_Image. That might make a difference.
Old 14 January 2022, 15:00   #10
rabidgerry

Quote:
Yes indeed, it's not in the report.

As I said you should put it on the top of the list.

Also don't make it so complicated, use a small config with either only the suspicious image or at most one other HDF with only one partition and a clean unexpanded OS installation.

Finally don't use space characters in path names. Try to rename the Amiga HD Image directory into Amiga_HD_Image. That might make a difference.
Tried to change the path to F:\AmigaHDImage but it didn't work.

I can try make the config simple, but I'm just curious, how will I see the drives in the backup?

So I have a few other hdf with less going on, I'll try them with the bin file and see what happens.

Also I converted the bin file to an ISO and mounted it successfully in winaue using the regular hdf I normally use. However just shows up as a CD0:ndos disk so not much I can do with that.
Old 14 January 2022, 17:35   #11
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes the .BIN disk image is not corrupted, it may not be the disk image you have used in the past, this would be confirmed by the request for a larger CF.
Old 14 January 2022, 18:01   #12
rabidgerry

Quote:
Yes the .BIN disk image is not corrupted, it may not be the disk image you have used in the past, this would be confirmed by the request for a larger CF.
You wont believe me, but the Card I backed up on 141121 is the card I am trying to write the backup bin file to. I only have one main card and the rest are test installs and unfinished attempts at making OS3.2 so I have not gotten mixed up.

I managed to convert the bin file to an ISO. The ISO for some reason is a smaller. I am not writing this ISO to the card and I'm going to see if it works. How would it gotten smaller?
Old 14 January 2022, 18:07   #13
rabidgerry

writing the ISO didn't work either.
Old 14 January 2022, 18:30   #14
Exodous

You could try using 'dd' to create a copy of the file 1 block shorter than the original and then trying to write that back to the card to see if it works?

'dd' can be obtained for Windows from here: http://www.chrysocome.net/downloads/dd-0.6beta3.zip

Extract it, copy it to the folder where your backup is then, in a command prompt in that folder do:

dd if=original-image.bin of=truncated-image.bin bs=XXXX count=31522176

To find "XXXX", get the exact size of the original file in bytes and divide it by 31522177 - hopefully, this is a whole number because if it isn't, then this won't work.

You then write truncated-image.bin to the card.

Last edited by Exodous; 14 January 2022 at 18:31. Reason: Typo
Old 14 January 2022, 18:30   #15
AMIGASYSTEM

Conversion to ISO cannot correct a corruption!
Old 14 January 2022, 20:31   #16
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodous View Post
You could try using 'dd' to create a copy of the file 1 block shorter than the original and then trying to write that back to the card to see if it works?

'dd' can be obtained for Windows from here: http://www.chrysocome.net/downloads/dd-0.6beta3.zip

Extract it, copy it to the folder where your backup is then, in a command prompt in that folder do:

dd if=original-image.bin of=truncated-image.bin bs=XXXX count=31522176

To find "XXXX", get the exact size of the original file in bytes and divide it by 31522177 - hopefully, this is a whole number because if it isn't, then this won't work.

You then write truncated-image.bin to the card.
Wow! This sounds pretty impressive. I was kinda searching form something like this earlier.

I'm going to try this out.

However but I managed to write the image to the card in it's original bin state. Why it failed a few times before I do not know. I also had tried to verify with a different program (win32diskimager) as opposed to the one I take backups with and normally write with (PassMark ImageUSB V1.5). So the ImageUSB did it's thing.

Would there be any way to check everything is ok? (if someone says PFSDoctor I might cry as I dunno what it's telling me!).
Old 15 January 2022, 09:00   #17
AMIGASYSTEM

I have never used "PassMark ImageUSB V1.5", they work fine USB Image Tool, Rufus, Etcher