English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 February 2002, 23:28   #1
dwag0r

Question Connecting an Amiga to a PC via a TV Card

Hi,

Has anyone done this? I've just got myself a ATI TV Wonder, and I was wondering what sort of picture quality I'd get from connecting the Amiga via it (Using the composite connector - or if there is an svideo-amiga video connector - then that)

I know I could use the RF-Out... but after testing that using my N64 I, urm, would rather not

Do you think I'd get a flicker-free picture from the monitor when using the interlaced modes? Or would I just get a flickery mess?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Steve

Old 28 February 2002, 23:34   #2
oldpx

I don't know about ati tv wonder but I'm using the video card's video/camcorder in port. The results is better than a tv IMO but interlaced modes are not usable. They don't flicker but I get missing lines.

Old 01 March 2002, 22:31   #3
Amiga1992

If you have no other choise, use it. I'm using it. But I think it sucks. The quality is POOP.

Once you get used to teh brilliant RGB picture an amiga monitor gives, you DON'T want to go back So If you ever had a 1084, you'll hate this method.
Old 02 March 2002, 08:01   #4
Pyromania

Re: Connecting an Amiga to a PC via a TV Card

Quote:
Originally posted by dwag0r
Hi,

Has anyone done this? I've just got myself a ATI TV Wonder, and I was wondering what sort of picture quality I'd get from connecting the Amiga via it (Using the composite connector - or if there is an svideo-amiga video connector - then that)

I know I could use the RF-Out... but after testing that using my N64 I, urm, would rather not

Do you think I'd get a flicker-free picture from the monitor when using the interlaced modes? Or would I just get a flickery mess?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Steve
I do this with my A1200, I am going into the Video in on my SGI O2 though not a PC. The output is fab though on my SGI monitor. I have tried PC TV cards in the past on my 1.2 Ghz PC and was not happy with the output/input. On my SGI O2 it is good though. Since SGI O2's sell for about $200 now on ebay and have video in/out standard this may be a better option for you if you need a nice Unix box with your miggy
Old 02 March 2002, 17:35   #5
Amiga1992

200!?! shit, nice! How old is this workstation?
Old 02 March 2002, 17:44   #6
Pyromania

SGI O2

Mine is from 1997, I still love my Amiga's more but SGI is my 2nd fav computer and now they are available at great prices on ebay. Sure beats a PC for video capture and or editing. Video Toaster/Flyer on Amiga kicks SGI's ass at video production though unless you have a flint or flame system on your SGI, that will set you back another $100,000-500,000 though.

So grab an O2 if you have the spare dosh and add it to your computer network like I did. I have had my first O2 for about a year. The one I just bought cost me $200 but the one I bought a year ago cost $600, a bargin at the time. These cost $5000-$10,000 just 3 years ago. Don't buy one unless you know and like Unix or want to learn, it is not as easy to learn as Amiga.
SGI machines run an OS called IRIX 6.5 (Fully multi-tasking 64bit Journaling symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) OS that supports up to 512 MIPS CPU's) My real job is a Unix one so I need Unix machines at home, I have a Sun Workstation as well (Sun machines are what the Amiga was designed on).

More info @

http://www.sgi.com/o2/

Last edited by Pyromania; 02 March 2002 at 18:04.
Old 02 March 2002, 18:17   #7
Amiga1992

Well, I actually don't LIKE nixish systems... I know how to use them without problems (AmigaDOS was a great kickstarter ), but I'd like an SGI for the heck of it, and to add to the collection BEsides, I could use some fab video capturing device.

I just checked eBay, and Indigo machines are even cheaper! less than 100 bucks man!!! How's an Indigo? Do you recommend it?
Old 02 March 2002, 18:28   #8
Pyromania

SGI Indigo

Indigos are nice but most of them are about 10 years old. some of them don't have the video in/out like the SGI O2. Indigo 2 would be better or an O2 if you can wait for another deal like I got. More good deals will be coming! Why?

A few years ago M$ liked SGI's Technology so they bought SoftImage (3D animation software developer for SGI). M$ wanted all the cool 3D apps on SGI to be on Windows NT. So they

1. Bought SoftImage and started a Windows NT version.

2. Convince SGI to licence OpenGL to them.

3. Convinced SGI to build Windows NT machines (Why SGI would do this is beyond me).

4. Got ahold of cool things like the UMA from the O2 (This was later used in X-Box).

SGI should have never allowed M$ to steal their Technology. It made their customers confused. These are high end users like LucasArts and Steven Spielburg among others. By making Windows boxes SGI made themselves look like any other PC Clone maker. Even though they later stopped making Windows machines the damage was already done and by killing the project they upset the customers that bought into the idea, double wammy. SGI also bought then later sold Cray at a big loss ouch!

Jim Clark started SGI but left in 1993 to form Netscape, he lost control of SGI to the venture caps and wanted to do a new company (Netscape). Many of SGI's best went with him to Netscape so it was downhill from then on. Is SGI still a cool company? Sure they are the only company with a machine that supports 512 CPU's!

http://www.sgi.com/visualization/onyx/3000/ir3/

Last edited by Pyromania; 02 March 2002 at 18:54.
Old 02 March 2002, 19:43   #9
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
I just checked eBay, and Indigo machines are even cheaper! less than 100 bucks man!!! How's an Indigo? Do you recommend it?
An Indigo or Indigo 2 in good shape with a nice capture card built in is worth more than $100, I recommend! Hold out for an O2 if you can afford to pay a little extra though.