English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 February 2010, 01:26   #1
Mick

E-Matrix 1230/40Mhz Accelerator

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting this accelerator to pimp out my old Amiga (for old times sake ) but have a few questions that I can't seem to find a definitive answer to.

The only information I can find on this accelerator seems to refer to a Viper Mk-V, which appears to have a 50Mhz 030, supports a maximum 128MB (versus 32MB) and has a SCSI chip onboard, is this AmigaKit one an inferior model without SCSI and a slower processor?

Regards.
Old 28 February 2010, 01:34   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting this accelerator to pimp out my old Amiga (for old times sake ) but have a few questions that I can't seem to find a definitive answer to.

The only information I can find on this accelerator seems to refer to a Viper Mk-V, which appears to have a 50Mhz 030, supports a maximum 128MB (versus 32MB) and has a SCSI chip onboard, is this AmigaKit one an inferior model without SCSI and a slower processor?

Regards.
Depends.

I know alot will shoot me down. I use mine for retro gaming, and the E-Matrix is fine.

It gives a decent speed boost and works with all my CD32 games I have tried (Microcosm runs ultra smooth with it) and it doesnt conflict with PCMCIA slot.

The only draw backs if they can be considered draw backs are;
It doesnt have the scsi controller and only goes up to 32MB ram.
Old 28 February 2010, 01:38   #3
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Do those cards run hot? and will you need to keep the trapdoor cover off?

I think 32mb is plenty and i have no need for SCSI
Old 28 February 2010, 01:41   #4
Mick

Wow that was a fast reply.

Well I won't need SCSI and doubt I'll need more than 32mb either, I just wanted clarification really as there doesn't seem to be any mention of that particular Amigakit model anywhere on the web.

Do you know anywhere that sells a 32MB memory module for use with it?

Thanks.
Old 28 February 2010, 01:41   #5
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post

I think 32mb is plenty and i have no need for SCSI
I have the trap on mine and have had it running for hours straight and its never caused any problems before. It does get warm, but I wouldnt say hot.
Old 28 February 2010, 01:42   #6
Mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
I don't know will I? don't think I'll bother if so I don't want to melt my beloved Amiga.
Old 28 February 2010, 01:43   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

I have a 1230/40MHz turbo card with FPU on my A1200 which has only 24MB RAM (8MB onboard and 16MB SIMM) and it's plenty good enough.

The SCSI components are missing, but I do have a Squirrel SCSI PCMCIA adapter, which remains unused, however.

Edit: The card does warm up quite a bit, but still runs quite happily for extended periods with the trapdoor shut.
Old 28 February 2010, 01:45   #8
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
I don't know will I? don't think I'll bother if so I don't want to melt my beloved Amiga.
http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showha...cgi?HARDID=124

Try there, thats the card.
Old 28 February 2010, 01:46   #9
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Mick

the E-Matix 030@40 is the same card as the Viper mk5 -

Although the E-Matrix doesn't have the SCSI module - it may have a slightly different start up ROM - as such might not be able to read a 128MB stick of ram, as the Viper Mk5 on amiga.resource.cx.

Although I would love to try it lol.

as FOL has pointed out, this is a pretty good card, although no FPU on board, it will happily give you miggy a much needed boost as well as unadulterated WHDLoad lovelyness =D

the card has 2 OSC sockets - 1 for the FPU and the other for the CPU - a 40mhz component, with a little passive cooling may well yeild a nice perforamnce boost to 50mhz =D so thats a possible 25 % gain right there.
Old 28 February 2010, 01:46   #10
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
As FOL said, it only gets warm so i think it's a safe expansion to use with the trapdoor still on I know some can get very hot!
Old 28 February 2010, 02:08   #11
Mick

Ok thanks all where would I go about buying 32MB of memory for it? as I've read that 32MB is best for WHDLoad.

Also I've just noticed the shiny new Amiga 1200's on amigakit, are the Amiga Technology ones the same as the Commodore's?
Old 28 February 2010, 02:14   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Also I've just noticed the shiny new Amiga 1200's on amigakit, are the Amiga Technology ones the same as the Commodore's?
Not completely. See this thread.
Old 28 February 2010, 13:43   #13
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Ok thanks all where would I go about buying 32MB of memory for it? as I've read that 32MB is best for WHDLoad.

Im using 16MB and never had any problems, the only game to my knowledge that uses more mem for preloading is Beneath a steel sky.
That will love over 64MB when preloading.
Old 28 February 2010, 16:25   #14
DaveGlo

Hi,
I've been reading EAB for some months now, and this post has made my mind up to join and post.
I have an A1200 that i decided needed pride of place next to the PS3 rather than boxed up in the loft as there are too many classic games that EMUs just don't seem to do quite right.
Anyway, i decided to buy a CF 4GB HDD, complete with WHDLoad, £40 off Ebay. I installed this no problem, but found that hardly any games run through WorkBench as my memory was running low.
I decided to bite the bullet and fork out £160 for the E-Matrix 1230/40 from AmigaKit, again installed ok apart from the trapdoor cover wouldnt close properly without a bit of modification via a Leatherman multi-tool.
Anyway, my problem is this- if i have the accelerator card installed, the Amiga tries to boot, but all i get is blank screen (at first i thought id broken the Amiga), if i take it out, it boots again. I have searched Google to look for known issues, but theres not that much out there. My first thoughts were dip switch settings (i don't have a clue how they are supposed to be), PSU output, or a faulty accelerator board. I have been on Amiga Kit again and purchased a 240watt PSU and will see if this resolves the issue, as i have read that my standard 22watt supply might not be up to the job.
Can anyone advise what the 3 dip switches should look like and if possible suggest anything else that might be causing my issue.
I have noticed that the member FOL is AmigaKit staff, do you know if they would be ok with me sending the accelerator board back if the PSU doesn't seem to fix the issue?
Help and advice much appreciated
Dave
Old 28 February 2010, 16:29   #15
DaveGlo

Oh and great board BTW, really like the "search for old games" bit, i have spend days and days in the past trying to find the name of an old amiga game.
Old 28 February 2010, 18:09   #16
fc.studio
Cat lover

As reported by FOL I believe that 16 MB are enough for 99%+ of WHDLoad games with preload option.
In my opinion a simple expansion of 4 MB is already enough but here you'll have to prepare to miss the preload option for those games resident on 3-4 or more floppy disks.

About that limited e-matrix, sincerly for such a price (£ 160 !!!) I'll try to get, from amybay or e-bay and easily for less money, an used and best Blizzard 1230-IV (50 MHz, PCMCIA friendly, FPU socket, up to 128 MB).
My A1200 has this card with FPU and 32 MB. It works great with the trapdoor closed.
On this board, SCSI and up to 256 MB are availabe with the SCSI KIT expansion option.

My opinion could be different considering the E-Matrix 1230-50 or the Viper-V.

Last edited by fc.studio; 28 February 2010 at 18:14.
Old 28 February 2010, 18:27   #17
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Hello Dave and welcome at board!

A simple problem can be occurred: sometimes the lip of the upper shield inside the Amiga touch the accelerator connector causing a short to ground. This will not burn the accelerator, only stop it to work.

Open the trapdoor, sack the accelerator and bend the shield lip in the keyboard direction.

If the issue is not solved then, my counsel is: grab another beefier power brick.
Old 28 February 2010, 21:18   #18
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
or dirty contacts, had to clean my a1200 contacts before now to get a card work
Old 28 February 2010, 22:36   #19
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGlo View Post
Hi,
I've been reading EAB for some months now, and this post has made my mind up to join and post.
I have an A1200 that i decided needed pride of place next to the PS3 rather than boxed up in the loft as there are too many classic games that EMUs just don't seem to do quite right.
Anyway, i decided to buy a CF 4GB HDD, complete with WHDLoad, £40 off Ebay. I installed this no problem, but found that hardly any games run through WorkBench as my memory was running low.
I decided to bite the bullet and fork out £160 for the E-Matrix 1230/40 from AmigaKit, again installed ok apart from the trapdoor cover wouldnt close properly without a bit of modification via a Leatherman multi-tool.
Anyway, my problem is this- if i have the accelerator card installed, the Amiga tries to boot, but all i get is blank screen (at first i thought id broken the Amiga), if i take it out, it boots again. I have searched Google to look for known issues, but theres not that much out there. My first thoughts were dip switch settings (i don't have a clue how they are supposed to be), PSU output, or a faulty accelerator board. I have been on Amiga Kit again and purchased a 240watt PSU and will see if this resolves the issue, as i have read that my standard 22watt supply might not be up to the job.
Can anyone advise what the 3 dip switches should look like and if possible suggest anything else that might be causing my issue.
I have noticed that the member FOL is AmigaKit staff, do you know if they would be ok with me sending the accelerator board back if the PSU doesn't seem to fix the issue?
Help and advice much appreciated
Dave
As rkauer and cosmicfrog said. Check that first, I find that you have to bend the metal slightly as when inserting the card, it can short against the stupidly place metal shield.

Also what about the crystal? as that been dislodged and damaged?
Old 28 February 2010, 23:04   #20
DaveGlo

Im assuming the crystal is part of the Amiga mobo and not on the accelerator board? As i say it boots without the card so I think all is OK with the Amiga.
I think my new PSU will be waiting for me at work tomorrow so I will try pushing back the metal screening and the new PSU at the same time and see if this fixes it.
Could i ask if any of you guys are using a stock PSU with a modded A1200? and, if you have bought a atx form factor PSU, do you know anywhere that does a caddy for it? I know they are supposed to go into a PC case, but i don't want to go down that road, i've spent enough on this "little" project already and want my Amiga to continue to look like an amiga!