English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 10 November 2020, 09:31   #61
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
That looks very nice, thanks for sharing.
Old 10 November 2020, 09:34   #62
Adrian Cummings
Mutation/AmigaDweeb

This is all ages ago and a bit of a blur now TBH. On reading this thread backwards and correcting myself it does looks like I personally never actually released the ISO anyway and just the files to build the ISO from. That is the problem as some of the files later turned out to be corrupted I found in Jan 2020. In July 2019 I also made a MiniCDR clone archive of the CD32 ISO build it seems. I work on a lot of stuff in tandem here and even forgot I did this LOL. I need a diagnostic memory test I think as getting old

I will update this particular thread more as I proceed back into CD32 debug/testing in the run up to Christmas.

Last edited by Adrian Cummings; 10 November 2020 at 12:57.
Old 11 November 2020, 11:20   #63
Adrian Cummings
Mutation/AmigaDweeb

Planned Digital ISO download & burn your own version.
Wiz will also get the same treatment if it all works out.

Old 11 November 2020, 11:59   #64
NeoHippie2016
Freak

Wow! Great!
Old 11 November 2020, 15:15   #65
Adrian Cummings
Mutation/AmigaDweeb

Cheers, I just got my CD32 sorted so will be working on this release soon all being well.
Old 11 November 2020, 16:06   #66
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Cummings View Post
@DrBong The ISO image that has done the rounds for years I think came from a corrupted CDR backup from about 23'ish years ago [Edit: no it didn't - it was made but others at the initial time of this thread from files provided by me]. I found the problems at the start of this year but I won't know for sure until the CD32 arrives and I can run some tests. I now have found the original CDR that I know works 100% on stock CD32 revision 1 laser as I recall testing the entire build all those year ago
The plot thickens! It will be interesting to see if your original CD-R works on another CD32 revision, or if there's something mischievous going on (e.g. with the RNC loader) that's causing the problems reported.

Quote:
I never had the CD pressed as it was way too expensive back then and I think we sold less than <500'ish back then anyway and the rest went in the bin I guess, even now with low numbers of Amiga sales, I am not convinced pressing is the way to go yet and think that all CD releases will be made as ISO downloads in future so people can burn and play them - just an idea at the moment mind and I have yet to explore all options until I can get the build 100% working again on CD32 OK.
I'd love to buy a physical copy (pressed or burnt) with all the trimmings (i.e. jewel case with inlay and printed CD label) (and viddi in another thread did say he could assist with keeping costs down of producing a physical copy). I'd say I'm not alone judging from the interest in this thread and how long it goes back! You did say earlier in this thread too that the original run of 500 copies of Mutation Gold quickly sold out within 2 weeks and, like you, I've never seen a copy of it being sold on Ebay:

"The Mutation Gold Compilation release (I have one copy left being the master somewhere here) will only work/load correctly on CD32. It was originally built for Core Design by myself, however the Amiga had died pretty much back then and Core pulled out near the end of it's mastering leaving me with the disk that used RNC CD0:/DH0: IDE disk loader code.

I later released about 500 copies as a limited edition via my own Mutation label back then and had to print a notice regards the CD32 compatibility problem...i.e. it wont work with an scsi CDROM etc.

Given it's all sometime ago I really can't remember the full details but I do have the master (if I can find it) and may do a limited CD32 rerun or something as it did sell out in about 2 weeks back then and then I moved on to other things.

There you have it an no I've never seen one on eBay either come to think of it, so I guess it is pretty rare now - how cool!
"

Quote:
Regards the Epic/Mutantology release, I recall I gave them permisison to use the games on that particular compilation but I never saw a dime in payment from any sales of it. Sadly there were some dodgy people around in those days and I would like to further distance myself and Mutation from anything like that as it's just not cool to rip people off. For us here this is primarily about retro fun of doing it but in modern times. If you take that out of the equation then I can honestly say I would no longer wish to do it.
Sadly, I'm not surprised you didn't see any money....Epic Marketing (UK), among others, were known for the dodgy practies you describe, especially in the latter days of the Amiga (~1995 to early 2000s) when the commercial software market had largely tanked. Steve & Jennie Flowers of Alive Mediasoft were more extreme in their business practices, however, and apparently felt that getting the permission/blessing of original software authors was, at best, optional!

Quote:
My mum (RIP bless her memory) used to be a driving force in the old early starting days of Mutation on Amiga and she would come and haunt me to death I think if I ever tried to hoodwink or rip anybody off or anything like that LOL
Haha, behind every good man is at least one good (forceful) woman!

Last edited by DrBong; 11 November 2020 at 16:20. Reason: Added to post + fixed grammar!
Old 11 November 2020, 17:24   #67
Adrian Cummings
Mutation/AmigaDweeb

@DrBong Sorry for my short answer but I gotta be quick and just passing by.

There won't be any physical CD32 releases in future they will all be Digital Downloads (ISO) there just isn't the enough demand IMHO. We'll supply the tray artwork with the download tho so you can make your own box to go with the CD.

We are right now looking a special glossy Big Box option for Wiz and future new titles tho, so in future those may come with a printed download key inside for the CD32 ISO download. Those will probably be very limited to 50 each tho as they are expensive to produce in low runs. So just for hardcore collectors. It's all in the works now tho.

Yes I had the misfortune of meeting quite a few dodgy characters over the last 30years but have never felt the need to stoop that low TBH :P

My Mum was Ace she really did push me to do what I did at the very start with literally nothing but an Amiga1000 and an A590 drive plugged in upside down on the side of it. It's all come so far but almost back in a loop now LOL

Sorry not answering this in any particuar order. I can confirm that the master gold CDR got damp somehow but the looks of the paper inlay and is damaged. I tried all five games on the CD32 I just got today and the last 3 just black screen. My other miniCD backup (much later cloned from that orignal) also does the same. Doodlebug and CyberPunks are fine tho.

I will build a new master onto the CD32 CF card and cut a CDR of gamedata and test until I fix it! Basically I will rebuild the entire CDROM from the ground up and touch all files. Then I'll have it 100% tested and then I will release it as Digital Download (Paid tho!)

Last edited by Adrian Cummings; 11 November 2020 at 19:20.
Old 13 November 2020, 10:51   #68
Adrian Cummings
Mutation/AmigaDweeb

GOOD NEWS!

I can confirm as of early this morning I have rebuilt the entire CD32 CDROM and fixed the bug that was preventing 3 of the games loading on CD32. Bar a full soak test the ISO image will be available from my site in a few days time complete with new 12cm 300dpi CD front cover art so you can burn your own etc. I used TDK MiniCDR to test and it was fine on real CD32 here. The cases look super cute too if you use those

This release has Doodlebug an Cyberpunks both converted to use CD32 gamepad etc, along with full instructions and controller diagrams. It also contains Tin Toy, Tommy Gun and Castle Kingdoms tho they do not feature extra buttons mainly because I don't have source for 2 of them any longer.

I will price the 'burn your own ISO' digital download for sale at US$14.99 which equates to $2.99'ish per game and is really intended for those collectors that really wanted the CD32 release. I'm sorry I cannot offer it for free tho OK as it conflicts with my newly paid Physical releases of course you understand so am trying to be fair as possible.

This release is only possible because of the original kind permission via Jeremy Smith of Core Design Ltd. and under the orignal terms of license in 1994 with regards to Doodlebug and Cyberpunks.

Only took about 25 year to fix then LOL

All being well Wiz will get the CD32 bug fix treament next and finally see a release on CD32 too!

Thanks,

Adrian

Last edited by Adrian Cummings; 13 November 2020 at 11:31.
Old 14 November 2020, 11:39   #69
Adrian Cummings
Mutation/AmigaDweeb

I moved any further conversation to this new thread today...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...55#post1440755