English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 14 June 2019, 10:37   #1
studio460

Multimedia Production: AGA Amiga | AmigaOS 4.1 | PowerMac G5 + MorphOS | WinUAE

Okay, so here's the deal. I'm mainly planning to run multimedia/productivity applications. Here's the list (no games):

• AmigaVision.
• Scala Multimedia 400.
• Superbase.
• Hyperbook.
• FinalCalc.
• Bars & Pipes Professional.
• Emerald Intelligence's Magellan 1.1
• Directory Opus.

I think I've finally figured this out. I'll run multiple machines, based on what does what best, or more accurately, what does what best with the highest compatibility. So, I'll dedicate separate machines for separate groups of applications.

• 1. Windows laptop running WinUAE/AmigaOS 3.X:

• Magellan 1.1 (only worked with Kickstart 1.3—may not run).
• Superbase.
• FinalCalc.

• 2. AGA Amiga/Kickstart 3.1:

• AmigaVision.
• Scala Multimedia 400.
• Hyperbook.

• 3. Apple PowerMac G5 early-2005 7,3 running MorphOS:

• Superbase.
• Hyperbook.
• FinalCalc.
• Bars & Pipes Professional.
• Emerald Intelligence's Magellan 1.1?

• 4. This only leaves the ultimate AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition machine to choose . . .

Last edited by studio460; 14 June 2019 at 11:14.
Old 14 June 2019, 10:43   #2
studio460

So, one of my first questions is, which "68K compliant" Amiga apps run on MorphOS? I've done a Google search and didn't come up with anything. Has anyone ever compiled a list of multimedia/productivity apps which are MorphOS-compliant?
Old 14 June 2019, 11:47   #3
ppill
CON: artist

Unless you'll be using any amiga specific hardware like genlocks i think WinUAE for all with custom setups. Even with Bars and Pipes the midi emulation works great.
Old 14 June 2019, 12:23   #4
studio460

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill View Post
Unless you'll be using any amiga specific hardware like genlocks i think WinUAE for all with custom setups. Even with Bars and Pipes the midi emulation works great.
Wow! That's great! No—won't be using any video hardware. So I read the WinUAE site and it looks like I can legally obtain the 1.3 ROM-images/Workbench disk-images from Amiga Forever. I also found the WinUAE set-up/configuration page right here on abime. So . . .

• Purchase either Amiga Forever Value Edition or Plus Edition ROM/disk-image download (e.g., Kickstart 1.3, 3.1, etc.).
• Use its Windows installer for desired Kickstart ROM/Workbench disk-images.
• Open abime set-up/configuration guide here.
• Run WinUAE installer and follow guide steps.

Just not sure what I do first—install the 1.3 ROM/disk images using the Amiga Forever installer or install the WinUAE package first using their installer. I see that it directs you to create a "ROM" directory in the WinUAE installation dialog boxes, so maybe this should be installed first?

FYI: I'm installing Kickstart 1.3 because that's what my Magellan 1.1 AI software likes to run in. I presume I can install additional ROMs (e.g., 3.1) for more capability and switch instances at-will.

Last edited by studio460; 15 June 2019 at 08:37.
Old 17 June 2019, 00:30   #5
studio460

[Excuse the cross-post, but I originally posted this in the "Amiga questions too embarrassed to ask" thread, but thought it would be more appropriate here]:

AGA-emulation:

• Authentic AGA Amigas run AGA-intensive applications just fine, as expected.
• WinUAE also accommodates AGA-intensive applications, and does it quite well.
• 68K-FPGA Vampire 1200/V4 will also accommodate AGA-intensive applications.
• PPC/AmigaOS 4.1 does not accommodate AGA-intensive applications.
• PPC/MorphOS does not accommodate AGA-intensive applications.

So, for me, any PPC-based solution is a non-starter since they won't run Amiga multimedia apps. As I mentioned in the other thread, I have no idea what applications people are running on their PPC AmigaOS 4.1/MorphOS machines, but for running AGA apps like Scala and AmigaVision, I'll be sticking with original Amigas, WinUAE installs, and the coming 68K Vampire V4 standalone.

Last edited by studio460; 17 June 2019 at 00:38.
Old 17 June 2019, 05:57   #6
Hewitson

Don't buy Amiga Forever just for the kickstarts. They can be easily found on google.
Old 17 June 2019, 11:12   #7
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Wow! That's great! No—won't be using any video hardware. So I read the WinUAE site and it looks like I can legally obtain the 1.3 ROM-images/Workbench disk-images from Amiga Forever. I also found the WinUAE set-up/configuration page right here on abime. So . . .

• Purchase either Amiga Forever Value Edition or Plus Edition ROM/disk-image download (e.g., Kickstart 1.3, 3.1, etc.).
• Use its Windows installer for desired Kickstart ROM/Workbench disk-images.
• Open abime set-up/configuration guide here.
• Run WinUAE installer and follow guide steps.

Just not sure what I do first—install the 1.3 ROM/disk images using the Amiga Forever installer or install the WinUAE package first using their installer. I see that it directs you to create a "ROM" directory in the WinUAE installation dialog boxes, so maybe this should be installed first?

FYI: I'm installing Kickstart 1.3 because that's what my Magellan 1.1 AI software likes to run in. I presume I can install additional ROMs (e.g., 3.1) for more capability and switch instances at-will.
I believe I've read some place in these forums that the rom included with Maiga Forever Essentials (for Android) $1.99 work with emulation on PC as well. You just don't get the AF package - it's just the roms, legally. If that concerns you - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ver.essentials
I went the AF route and Essentials route. I don't mind supporting cloanto at all. But that's besides the point. You might want to research the AFE roms on Pc a bit more tho'.