English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 July 2020, 15:40   #1
bobrpggamer

WHDload in Winuae with OS 4.1

I seem to get an error when trying to run a game, I know that the extras included with the CD Install have a program that can run WHDload games but I would rather install Whdload on its own.

Is any release of WHDload compatable with OS 4.1 and/or with the CyberStorm accelerator used to run OS 4.1.
Old 18 July 2020, 15:54   #2
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrpggamer View Post
Is any release of WHDload compatable with OS 4.1
Surely not. OS4 deactivates the 68K CPU and WHDLoad (or rather the game it runs) relies on the 68K CPU. They cannot work together.
Old 18 July 2020, 16:44   #3
bobrpggamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Surely not. OS4 deactivates the 68K CPU and WHDLoad (or rather the game it runs) relies on the 68K CPU. They cannot work together.
Another question. Now that I need to use the runiuae program. How do you quit the program? When it runs in fullscreen it takes over OS 4.1 and I cannot get back to OS 4.1. I have tried the quit workbench and it just quits runinuae's workbench and does not switch back to OS 4.1.

I know this sounds dumb but I read the readme and could not find a key dedicated to closing runinuae. I watched a vodeo on YouTube and the guy was running runinuae in a window but I seem to run the program exclusively in fullscreen.

Scrap that, I found the key combo with some more reading, sorry about being impatient.

The Amiga and its fans never cease to amaze me, without it OS 4.1 would be nothing more than a utility to use the latest Amiga utilities, now I can run WHDload in OS 4.1 thanks to the guys who made this program.

Last edited by bobrpggamer; 18 July 2020 at 17:10.
Old 18 July 2020, 17:14   #4
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
You can Left Amiga M to flip back to AmigaOS. Then Right Amiga X on E-Uae to close it. Not sure if there is an 'in emu' key to close.

Last edited by Mad-Matt; 18 July 2020 at 17:20.
Old 18 July 2020, 21:48   #5
White

@bobrpggamer
When you reach a good configuration for your needs could you try odyssey the browser?
here the link
http://kas1e.mikendezign.com/aos4/odyssey_betas/
the last one is 07
use this as user-agent this:
Mozilla / 5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit / 537.10 + (KHTML, like Gecko) Version / 10.1.0.2342 Mobile Safari / 537.10 +

also when you switch to uaegfx if you want you can do this test
get cvisionPPC from the amigaos finaledition cd in devs
leave the tooltypes you find unchanged and add this to the top:
Boardtype = uaegfx
make a copy of your .hdf for safety

you should notice a noticeable speed increase both in the processes managed by the system and especially with odyssey
you should see videos at 800x600 and also at 1024x768 very fast
personally I have not yet understood the values ??of the tooltypes inserted
but the speed increase is remarkable

using this RTG table with uaegfx:
8bit or 8bit *
all
all
A8R8G8B8
subsequently all the applications will be compatible at least in my case.
The table from what I have seen from my experience has a big impact on graphics performance at least for now
for example if I try to change the table the performances are lowered
it would be interesting to have your experience on this.

it would be interesting to exchange some information
the command for e-uae CTRL + ALT + S
there is a version that supports JIT so it is faster if you are interested

if you need any suggestions please ask

Last edited by White; 18 July 2020 at 22:54.
Old 19 July 2020, 01:37   #6
bobrpggamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White View Post
@bobrpggamer
When you reach a good configuration for your needs could you try odyssey the browser?
here the link
http://kas1e.mikendezign.com/aos4/odyssey_betas/
the last one is 07
use this as user-agent this:
Mozilla / 5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit / 537.10 + (KHTML, like Gecko) Version / 10.1.0.2342 Mobile Safari / 537.10 +

also when you switch to uaegfx if you want you can do this test
get cvisionPPC from the amigaos finaledition cd in devs
leave the tooltypes you find unchanged and add this to the top:
Boardtype = uaegfx
make a copy of your .hdf for safety

you should notice a noticeable speed increase both in the processes managed by the system and especially with odyssey
you should see videos at 800x600 and also at 1024x768 very fast
personally I have not yet understood the values ??of the tooltypes inserted
but the speed increase is remarkable

using this RTG table with uaegfx:
8bit or 8bit *
all
all
A8R8G8B8
subsequently all the applications will be compatible at least in my case.
The table from what I have seen from my experience has a big impact on graphics performance at least for now
for example if I try to change the table the performances are lowered
it would be interesting to have your experience on this.

it would be interesting to exchange some information
the command for e-uae CTRL + ALT + S
there is a version that supports JIT so it is faster if you are interested

if you need any suggestions please ask
I am not too sure what uaegfx and/or where to get it. I cannot get my internet connection to work so the update is out of the question, I try to add the ethernet.device via connection wizard and I get an error that says insert volume /: and I have no idea what volume its talking about. So I am stuck there so far, how could my install drive be unmounted anyway unless it is write protected and that cannot be either because I am adding things to my install drive all the time. The ethernet.device is from the tutorial In read online and I downloaded it from aminet or somewhere I cannot remember. Anyway with Picasso IV I am stuck at 720 in 24 bit color, if I go 1080 I go down to 8 bit color and I do not want that.

Hey White can you explain to a dummy how to get uaegfx going without updating from ami-update. When I choose Uae Zorro III in WinUAE I get graphcs issues. Maybe I need to remove the Picasso IV flash rom from the uae config? In other words I am not sure what uaegfx is.

I just now realized that it must be something in the OS itself but that does not help as far as where to find the monitor settings. I copied all of the monitors from the CD install and none of them support 1080 at all.

I just found Picasso96 in prefs but it says there is no modes, whatever that means, so it must not be that. Like I said for a dummy, that does not have much (any for that matter) experience with newer Amiga's and new OS's. I would love to run in 1080 with 24 bit color if I could but right now its just 720 and that is not bad itself I suppose, a heck of a lot better than high res interlaced in OS 3x.

Last edited by bobrpggamer; 19 July 2020 at 02:19.
Old 19 July 2020, 08:32   #7
bobrpggamer

Well I got Uaegfx going but now runinuae will not install properly. I swear if its not one thing its another.

I am going to start a new thread about not being able to install runinuae (i guess) while using uaegfx.
Old 19 July 2020, 11:36   #8
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
You making it far more complicated than it needs to be. Simply install OS4 with Picasso IV, selecting the highest max resolution it offers (1600x1200 I think?) then let it install fully (takes about 5 mins with cyberstorm scsi).

Once OS4 is up and running install and of the contributions off the cd you want including runinuae and it will add the low res modes to the monitor file. Only then proceed to install Update 1. Maybe make a backup of your hardfile at this point .

You can then either copy the Picasso IV monitor file or just simply rename it to uaegfx. Nothing more needs to be done here. Then in WinUAE settings, Set up 8 Bit (*) 15/16 bit (*) and 32 bit (A8R8G8B8 - This one is important). Disable Picasso IV in settings and set UAE Z3. Save config and restart uae and you should be good to go.

Once loaded you should see every display mode your monitor allows in screenmode prefs.
Old 19 July 2020, 15:14   #9
White

@all
The guides usually stop at the simple installation of the system. The problem arises later with the use of all the applications to make them coexist with each other.
So a series of changes must be made to keep the applications from conflicting with each other.
This usually occurs precisely because of "video driver" problems in most cases.
This is the biggest obstacle to overcome and also the most frustrating.

I was wondering if it was possible to test with Odyssey because I have been trying to find a solution for a while and it turns out to be a difficult application for the emulator even if it works well.
As winuae is structured for 4.1 (therefore not fully developed for 4.1 unfortunately).

The desktop I use is 1920x1080 for the use of 4.1FE
I use Odyssey promoted by MUI at 800x600 or 1024x768 and also on this occasionally I test the rest of the applications work well.
Here a small video with Odyssey to better understand the concept and possibly to get some help.
It works well even if the video capture program obviously affects the speed but it is acceptable, making videos with the phone is more complicated at least for me :-)
I must also say that over time using 4.1 I have discovered various solutions that improve its use.
So the guide in the "app" section remains valid but should be updated.
here the video:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 July 2020, 16:36   #10
White

Sorry, here the same video taken with the phone probably makes the idea of the fluidity of the video better
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 July 2020, 17:22   #11
bobrpggamer

Well I followed Whites direction in another post and downloaded uaegfx in that post as well and it worked.

Its just that I do not remember what uaegfx was. It turns out it is just a hack of some sort in winuae to use higher resolutions with greater color bit depth. I also had a hard time remembering to set the Zorro III ram banks properly. I have not messed with running full computers in winuae for 5 years or more, I have been running configs for games mostly, but I thought I would try getting OS 4.1 working just for kicks really. my other Amiga virtual computers only go from workbench 2.0 to 3.9. OS 4.1 is a bit tricky to newcomers to get going unless they really know what they are doing and I did not.

But as it seems runinuae is not working in uaegfx and thats fine because I do not really need uaegfx's 1080 32 bit color to play ECS and AGA games. Thing is. I watched plenty of videos on youtube with guys running runinuae in a window in uaegfx so i thought it was possibe, but like I said its not really necessary anyway, so I have a 1080 uaegfx config not running runinuae and a 720 config that runs runinae so all is cool.

Last edited by bobrpggamer; 20 July 2020 at 17:39.