English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 23 August 2020, 20:28   #1
Coreyoli

AmigaOS 4.1 FE 1920x1080?

Good afternoon,

Using Amige Forever I've been successful is getting an AmigaOS 4.1 FE up and running (A4000) with relative ease... However, I cannot get a decent resolution...

I'm using Picoso IV which I know caps @ 4mb VRAM which limits the resolution..

My question is.. Has anyone found which RTG settings match which video settings in the OS installation gives higher resolution?

My ultimate goal is to have this Windows 10 machine boot up and auto launch the AmigaOS 4.1 in full screen @ 1920x1080 and pretty much hide Windows and use it as a full time Amiga machine...

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks!

-Corey

P.S. Great community, I haven't played with Amiga since I was a kid.

Last edited by Coreyoli; 23 August 2020 at 20:34.
Old 24 August 2020, 04:06   #2
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

If you don't want to use WinUAE directly (which honestly is the best option but I prefer launching via Amiga Forever as well) then use the "RTG (synthetic)" video device with probably 128 MB RTG memory. You will need to have uaegfx.card installed in either SYS:Kickstart or LIBS:Picasso96, however, as well as set up a "UAEGfx" monitor in DEVS:Monitors. Take a look at http://aminet.net/package/driver/video/UAEGfxForOS4 as it provides you with full instructions on where to get uaegfx.card and other work you need to do inside your emulated environment before changing your settings in Amiga Forever.
Old 24 August 2020, 07:56   #3
White

Hi Coreyoli,
If you are interested in booting by bypassing windows you can do so, and get as you said a 4.1FE amigaos system on power up.
I don't know how long you have been using AmigaForever, a few years ago I also started with AmigaForever it was years that I no longer used the winuae emulator so for ease I started from AmigaForever.
If you want to get what you said you have to work on windows first. (and it's the hardest part, a system backup obviously you have to do because you have to modify some keys with REGEDIT).

Below I recommend winuae with a configuration that works well even if you currently use AmigaForever.
So your work needs to be divided into two parts:

The first part is to configure the 4.1FE well
The second is then to modify windows and get the boot directly of winuae which makes you start the 4.1FE

I leave you a sample video where you can see what you can get:
The boot you see was done with windows 7

To make things more beautiful I also put an animated logo on boot :-)
the configuration I used was an I5 2400
i currently believe winuae fully supports windows 7
if your goal is to create a boot like this I recommend windows 7 you can optimize it better

[ Show youtube player ]

For the resolution you are looking for you have to use uaegfx as a video driver and for this if you are not very familiar with the emulator you can take a look here:
https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=91368

here you can also see where I asked for suggestions to create the boot directly with winuae, it can be useful
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89887

Last edited by White; 24 August 2020 at 08:46. Reason: update2
Old 24 August 2020, 13:40   #4
Coreyoli

Lots of amazing info, thanks guys! I have actually started playing with WinUAE directly, and there are a lot more configuration options... At least with the purchase of Amiga Forever I have all the ROMs/Kickstarts I need!

Thanks again!
Old 24 August 2020, 13:46   #5
White

@Coreyoli
Well, if you have time in the future it would be interesting to see your video on 4.1FE to share your experience, or if you encounter configuration problems and need help.
Obviously it's not a commitment, but it would be interesting

What processor do you use?
Old 24 August 2020, 13:48   #6
Coreyoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by White View Post
@Coreyoli
Well, if you have time in the future it would be interesting to see your video on 4.1FE to share your experience, or if you encounter configuration problems and need help.
Obviously it's not a commitment, but it would be interesting

What processor do you use?
I'm using a Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz... It's an old PC I had laying around, I boosted the RAM up to 16gb and threw a 120gb ssd in it... It seems to work fairly well.
Old 24 August 2020, 15:49   #7
White

@Coreyoli
I've never used a core-duo with 4.1FE
unfortunately you won't have great performance
you need a fast processor to make the most of it.
I am definitely a person who does not make comparisons between computers I never liked doing it, but you need a faster computer if you decide to buy the 4.1FE
Old 24 August 2020, 16:59   #8
Coreyoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by White View Post
@Coreyoli
I've never used a core-duo with 4.1FE
unfortunately you won't have great performance
you need a fast processor to make the most of it.
I am definitely a person who does not make comparisons between computers I never liked doing it, but you need a faster computer if you decide to buy the 4.1FE
I did purchase FE 4.1.. I own Amiga Forever (mainly for the ROMs/Kickstarts) and Amiga FE 4.1...

The CPU actually doesn't do a bad job, being 3.0GHz and WinUAE doesn't do anything with multi-core (as far as I have read)...

I mean it isn't going to win any speed awards, but it's not bad at all, it's very usable..

Again though, it was just an old machine I had kicking around, so I'm not dead set on it being my final machine for this little passion project I have going on, but it's a good testbed to learn...
Old 24 August 2020, 17:43   #9
White

@Coreyoli

Like you a few years ago I bought AmigaForever + 4.1FE
And in fact I started using 4.1FE on a notebook with AMD A8-3510MX processor so nothing special.
Surely you can do a lot of things and have fun :-)

here is an old video of the laptop that I used is not much but so you can see how it worked, over time I gained experience and improved the configuration and the system.
So the best thing is to try all possibilities :-)
And as you said, gain experience and above all have fun :-)

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 August 2020, 21:03   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

PPC CPU emulation runs in separate thread. PPC emulation requirement is at least dual core, but you need modern 4+ core CPU for best performance. (one for PPC, one for other UAE parts, the rest for Windows/drivers/etc)
Old 24 August 2020, 21:13   #11
Coreyoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
PPC CPU emulation runs in separate thread. PPC emulation requirement is at least dual core, but you need modern 4+ core CPU for best performance. (one for PPC, one for other UAE parts, the rest for Windows/drivers/etc)
Excellent information, thanks! I have a couple other PC's laying around, knowing that I may see what else I have.

Thanks!
Old 25 August 2020, 00:35   #12
Coreyoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Would you say a 3ghz dual core or a 2.3ghz quad core would be better?