English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 30 April 2021, 18:37   #1
PDrill

WiModem + Paragon BBS = Desperation, will pay for solution.

For the past 6-8 years I've used tens of hours trying to get my old BBS back online but no success. I've tried telser, telnetd, Telnet BBS Server and Internet Modem but no. Finally I bought the WiModem232 as it is promised to be the best solution but still no. Got a bit further with this one but still no. The latest achievement is that I've got it to answer and show connection info on both ends (BBS and the caller) after which it hangs up.

As I've already spent almost USD 200 for the hardware (not including the Amiga), I'm now willing to pay further USD 50 (PayPal) for anyone who can provide working configuration for the BBS and WiModem.

I've made an "extract & go .lha" which requires only one ASSIGN command to 'install'. The .lha includes also short & simple instructions to find the modem settings for the BBS so you don't need to use more than a few minutes to learn the basics.

Please help. The file can be downloaded here

p.s. currently I'm much more interested in a direct solution than speculating the options, done that quite a bit again lately
Old 05 May 2021, 20:59   #2
PDrill

Had some more fun with this for 5 hours today!

Measured all the pins to see how all the lines (DCD, DTR, DSR, CTS and RI) act in different situations and with different setups. Found out that &D -command works like documented in Hayes standards eventhough the manual says "This command has no affect on the operation of the WiModem". There are some other functions on the manual with the same note but not gonna dig in to them today. Also found out that downgrading the WiModem's firmware fixes something and I did that and got even a new feature. Now the BBS's says (on the local screen) "Ringing..." and it hasn't done that before, other than that everything works still as before that. Also been reading Haynes and WiModem manuals back and forth for quite a while.

I think I'll go sleep now.
Old 06 May 2021, 21:35   #3
JimDrew

You are correct. I added full support for &D some time ago, but I did not document this change in the manual. That is the only command with that note that has not been updated.

Downgrading did not help you! You definitely want to be using v3.41 firmware as the v3.40 had a problem that did not allow BBS's to connect properly (they would connect and immediately hang up), that sounds like what you are experiencing, so upgrade to the latest version BEFORE proceeding! This is a product where I still daily actively support and update. The problem with v3.40 occurred when I added incoming call IP blocking. That created a race condition with the DCD line. Resolved with v3.41 firmware.

The WiModem232 supports ALL of the various Hayes commands, and numerous extended commands as well. There are a LOT of people using the WiModem and WiModem232 to run their BBS's.

I looked at the documentation for the Paragon BBS and there are lots of various modem configs, and really all of them should work. It all depends on how you want the messages to respond. I will try to setup the BBS and see what the best string is for use.

Last edited by JimDrew; 06 May 2021 at 21:40.
Old 06 May 2021, 22:45   #4
JimDrew

I looked at this and responded on my support forum:

https://www.cbmstuff.com/forum/showt...d=820&pid=5259