English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 21 July 2005, 11:29   #1
Ironclaw
Banned

Sound delay when recording AGA games.

Hi, I have been recording stuff ever since AVIOutput was implented and I have always had sound delay when recording AGA games.

I have tried all kinds of settings, different compression (even no compression), codecs, harddrives, computers.. you name it, And everytime the avi file starts to get sound delay after approx 40 secs. It's always synced in the game when playing, but never in the avi output file, only the first 40 secs or so are perfectly synced. The longer the recording are, the bigger is the sound delay. If the recording is like 3 mins, the sound will be like 2 sec delayed after like 2 mins.

Anyone else having this problem?, anyone who knows how to fix it?
Old 21 July 2005, 12:53   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

what specs are your PC!

I am able to record AGA stuff and i'm sure it remained in sync!
Old 21 July 2005, 13:11   #3
Ironclaw
Banned

Doesnt matter my spec. Right now I'm on a laptop P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, ati mobility radeion 9600 turbo.

My other stationary PC was Athlon XP 3 gig, Geeforce FX 256mb, 1.5gig mem.

tried on other pcs aswell.
Old 21 July 2005, 13:58   #4
BippyM
Global Moderator

Well I ripped AGA demos for the demoDVD and they ripped just fine.. so unless it broke in a newer release it must be something your end.

Toni will need to deal with this as it seems okay for me!

Sorry I can't help anymore
Old 21 July 2005, 14:30   #5
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

www.videohelp.com - there is a time stretching util (cannot recall name) that enables you to specify the % U want the sound stretched by so work out how badly out of sync at END of recording and then the % and it should fix it.

Still, it would be better to fix the problem at source. In the "old days" when I used to do lots of video capture on PCs the kinds of things that would cause such problems would be:

Not using NTFS
Fragmented HD or otherwise slow HD
Insufficient memory for the HD buffering
Crap sound card or wrong drivers for sound card
Old 21 July 2005, 14:42   #6
Ironclaw
Banned

Stretching the sound wont work, believe me, I have tried, it doesn't get 100% synced that way. And bippym, Demos is nothing, try an aga game with sound effects and record for like 3 mins, then you'll notice the sound delay. I'm a perfectionist so I easily notice these thing while others don't. Demos are usually just a sound track so it's not easy to see if there is an delay, so try recording an aga game instead.

Quote:
Not using NTFS
Fragmented HD or otherwise slow HD
Insufficient memory for the HD buffering
Crap sound card or wrong drivers for sound card
Nope, it's all perfect, I know my stuff.. and tried to record on different computers aswell.

AND, when I looked at the aga demos recorded on the AmigaMuseum DVD, I easily noticed that during the spaceship crash in the OnEscapee intro, there was a delay, so the person recorded that into had the same problem. It's when the spaceship crashes into the glass dome.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...&highlight=dvd

But I have recorded that intro with no delay, cuz I record 30 secs at a time and combine them all later.
Old 21 July 2005, 14:45   #7
BippyM
Global Moderator

Tell me what your config is set as?

Is jit enabled/disabled?
Screensize?
Sound settings
etc..
Old 21 July 2005, 14:56   #8
BippyM
Global Moderator

Well I just tried it with Chaos Engine 2 and it did stay in sync for about 70seconds but then as Ironclaw says it slowly goes out of sync!

Toni?
Old 21 July 2005, 15:25   #9
Ironclaw
Banned

Told you
Old 21 July 2005, 16:25   #10
Ironclaw
Banned

Ok, might add some more stuff while we are at the subject of recording.

Sometimes when I record, it doesn't record in 32 bits. Well, sometimes the background with 245 colors in a game looks great, sometimes it does not. So I have to restart Winuae and stuff till I get all the colors when recording. I know that for some reason you have to have a fullscreen resolution set to 32 bit to get all the propper colors EVEN if you play in window mode, but still, sometimes I don't get all the colors, both when playing and recording.

I usually play games in window mode in 320x256/640x512 and sometimes 320x240/640x480 (depending on the game) sometimes I want to play in fullscreen but can't as the 320x256 mode isnt supported, the closest I can choose is 320x240 and 400x300 and don't want that. Why isn't that screen resolution available? I could use the filter settings to get it to be like 320x256 in fullscreen, but don't aught to.

Sometimes when I record I get these error messages, and others aswell:

I also got like a million dump files in my Winuae folder.

Is it possible to record in 25fps instead of the standard 50?, cuz if I change the Playback Rate to 25fps, the game runs in standard speed except the animation, which makes it totally out of sync with the animation. If I change the FPS Adj to 25, the game and music runs slooow. It would really be convenient if you could record in 25fps instead of 50fps cuz it would mean less writing to the harddrive and less space would be taken.

I believe there is a Autofire function in Input and wonder if it is possible to autofire in a game?, you know, holding down fire and it shoots automatically. It sure looks so... but don't know how to do it.

Well, that's some of my current questions.
Old 21 July 2005, 17:06   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Attach winuaebootlog.txt and complete winuaelog.txt during recording session (keep recording until the sound is clearly out of sync)

Quote:
Sometimes when I record I get these error messages,
Error message is usually caused by enabled cycle exact in non-68000 modes (not recommended, i guess i have to fix it someday..)

Quote:
choose is 320x240 and 400x300 and don't want that. Why isn't that screen resolution available?
Because only modes that display driver supports are possible in fullscreen. Use any tweaking programs to create custom fullscreen modes. (search older threads)

Quote:
Sometimes when I record, it doesn't record in 32 bits.
WinUAE will default to 16-bit even if desktop is 32-bit for speed reasons (if display driver supports RGB overlays) Selecting 32-bit fullscreen mode should override it. Check the log for more information. I can't suggest anything without logs..

Quote:
I believe there is a Autofire function in Input and wonder if it is possible to autofire in a game?,
Just click on autofire column to enable it

Quote:
if I change the Playback Rate to 25fps, the game runs in standard speed except the animation, which makes it totally out of sync with the animation
Game runs standard speed but animation does not? Recording only captures frames, it can't change speed of objects in game.