English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 21 October 2013, 20:26   #1
mc6809e

Avoiding copper strobe/blitter bug

Can the bug be avoided by "pausing" the blitter by turing off blitter DMA in DMACON before strobing COPJMPx and then turning blitter DMA back on?
Old 21 October 2013, 20:49   #2
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

what bug is this?
Old 21 October 2013, 21:00   #3
mc6809e

It's a nasty one.

If the copper is WAITing and the blitter is running and the CPU touches COPJMP to strobe the address of a new copper list into the copper's instruction pointer, a blitter channel pointer can be updated instead.

Worst case is when the D channel is altered to point to the new copper list and the list is overwritten by the blit.
Old 22 October 2013, 12:27   #4
phx
Natteravn

Wow! That's it! Exactly that happened to me a few weeks ago, and I was hunting the bug for many days, until I gave up and made sure the Blitter has finished before loading new Copper pointers.

Parts of my copper list had been overwritten by Blitter data. And I couldn't explain how the blitter could ever write to that region.

Thanks! I didn't know about that bug.
Old 22 October 2013, 12:39   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I think it should not happen if blitter DMA is disabled because reason for this bug is same cycle being used by both the copper and blitter when copper wakes up incorrectly from waiting state.

Bug: Copper does weird 3 cycle combination of MOVE and WAIT cycle sequences if COPJMP is written while waiting, http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=122 (I am still not 100% sure this is the exact behavior, there may be some hidden variable)
Old 22 October 2013, 14:24   #6
phx
Natteravn

I know we have the "Undocumented Amiga hardware stuff" thread. But only some undocumented behaviours, like this one, are really a dangerous bug. It would be great to have a complete list of known hardware bugs of the Amiga chipset somewhere.
Old 22 October 2013, 16:53   #7
mc6809e

Thanks, Toni. At least the work-around is cheap.
Old 23 October 2013, 00:27   #8
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Does this happen on all chipsets? Or just OCS/ECS?
Old 23 October 2013, 00:43   #9
Leffmann

It happens on AGA as well. I thought you would be able to avoid it by stopping Copper DMA, writing the new program pointer, strobing, and then starting Copper DMA again, but no luck.
Old 24 October 2013, 22:09   #10
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
I know we have the "Undocumented Amiga hardware stuff" thread. But only some undocumented behaviours, like this one, are really a dangerous bug. It would be great to have a complete list of known hardware bugs of the Amiga chipset somewhere.

I agree
Old 05 November 2013, 09:37   #11
TheDarkCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I think it should not happen if blitter DMA is disabled because reason for this bug is same cycle being used by both the copper and blitter when copper wakes up incorrectly from waiting state.

Bug: Copper does weird 3 cycle combination of MOVE and WAIT cycle sequences if COPJMP is written while waiting, http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=122 (I am still not 100% sure this is the exact behavior, there may be some hidden variable)
In general, what happens if one disables blitter DMA while the blitter is active, and after some time re-enables the blitter? Assuming that no BLT register ha been changed, does the blitting restarts and complete as-if DMA has not been stopped?
Old 05 November 2013, 10:07   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkCoder View Post
In general, what happens if one disables blitter DMA while the blitter is active, and after some time re-enables the blitter? Assuming that no BLT register ha been changed, does the blitting restarts and complete as-if DMA has not been stopped?
Yes, blitter only "pauses" when DMA is off.
Old 06 November 2013, 16:35   #13
TheDarkCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Yes, blitter only "pauses" when DMA is off.
very nice to know, and also useful, not only to avoid the nasty copper strobe/blitter bug!
Old 14 November 2013, 00:35   #14
Wepl

I don't see much sense in writing the copjmps with the cpu anyway.
Many old demos/games have some kind of screen distortion because writing copjmp or enabling copper/raster dma somewhere inbetween the frame.
All operations concerning the display should be synchronized. The cpu is usually not.

A proper gfx init is AFAIK:

set cop1lc
wait vertical blank
enable copper/raster dma

(as long as you don't have a vbi which eats half of the frame, which would be misuse of an interrupt IMHO)
Old 14 November 2013, 10:53   #15
phx
Natteravn

You're right! The COPxLC will be automatically reloaded on each VERTB, so there is really no need to use COPJMPx for setting up a new copper list.

I always used COPJMPx, without thinking about that, because I learned it in some stupid tutorial about 25 years ago...
Old 14 November 2013, 12:43   #16
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
You're right! The COPxLC will be automatically reloaded on each VERTB, so there is really no need to use COPJMPx for setting up a new copper list.
This is only true for Copperlist1 though.

Quote:
I always used COPJMPx, without thinking about that, because I learned it in some stupid tutorial about 25 years ago...
Nothing wrong with that as long you wait for the vertical blank before doing that.
Old 14 November 2013, 16:51   #17
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
This is only true for Copperlist1 though.
Hm, yes. Seems I missed something again...

Assuming I will take over the system when it is running an interlaced Workbench screen, then the 2nd copperlist might be active and I would need COPJMP1 to switch to the first one.

Or does a preceding LoadView(NULL) guarantee that the first copperlist is running?
Old 14 November 2013, 17:48   #18
mc6809e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepl View Post
I don't see much sense in writing the copjmps with the cpu anyway.
It's useful when the copper is being used to drive the blitter.
Old 14 November 2013, 22:06   #19
Wepl

Quote:
Hm, yes. Seems I missed something again...

Assuming I will take over the system when it is running an interlaced Workbench screen, then the 2nd copperlist might be active and I would need COPJMP1 to switch to the first one.

Or does a preceding LoadView(NULL) guarantee that the first copperlist is running?
What do you mean with second copperlist?
On interlace there is a Short Frame List and a Long Frame List which differer in the bplpts.
I think it's a common false assumption that the reason for the existence of the two copper list pointers is interlace. You can drive interlace without the copper by setting the bpls in the vbi too. On the other side the OS always uses the cop2lc in every display mode.
Old 14 November 2013, 22:15   #20
Wepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc6809e View Post
It's useful when the copper is being used to drive the blitter.
I don't saw an example for that yet. Is it used in some demos maybe?
I wonder what the benefit would be compared to directly write the blitter regs or if the blits are same for each frame to integrate this in the standard coplc.

I saw examples which use blitter interrupts to avoid blitter waits (e.g. Lotus2).