English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 27 January 2021, 13:33   #61
chip

I remember C128 for the little programming i did on it

Basic 7.0 if i well remember
Old 27 January 2021, 13:41   #62
rabidgerry

Probably 12 and it was well after the death of Commodore. My brother owned it before me and he got it in say 1990. So it was then handed down to me as I was always creeping into play it when he was gone anyways, but ownership did not happen until around 94-95. The A500 is still rusting away in my mums roof space.
Old 27 January 2021, 18:59   #63
AmiRico

I was 19. Came from the C64. I still remember how impressed I was when I started up my very own Amiga 500 for the first time. Can you believe it, 1024 K of RAM, compared to 64 on the 64 (it had this little "slow ram" expansion card). And the cute little 3,5" disks... so fast. Really felt like the future. The games were cool, too. But of course I needed my new computer for work and education. You know how it is.

The only bad thing about it was the interlaced mode. I switched the workbench to interlace because - well, I had also thought about buying an Atari ST with its monochrome high-res monitor. But then I thought, no, the Amiga can do highres too. Had seen interlace before, but still I thought I could live with it.

But when I tried to use it for work, I soon discovered that nobody can stand the flicker. So I used 640x256 (it was a PAL Amiga). Two years later I switched to a PC AT at 12 MHZ. Felt powerful, but in some ways also like a return to the C64, or even to the time before that, the era when CP/M roamed the earth. But the high resolution VGA screen was great. Have stayed on PC ever since. Had to at first, because I sold my Amiga to buy the PC. Ahem,... sorry for that. There you have it, the story of the Amiga in my life in a nutshell. The games were great, but I think I mentioned it already.
Old 28 January 2021, 03:46   #64
obitus1990

I was 18 and had just started at the university (in 1990). C= was offering a student discount if you bought an Amiga computer through one of their authorized retailers, granted that you brought a form from Commodore to the school and had the administration verify your enrollment on it. I bought the A500, 512K RAM expansion, and 1084S monitor for, I believe, $800. Had to sell all of my C64 stuff in order to buy it, plus spend a bunch of the money I made over the summer before starting school. I wrote many a college paper on a pirated copy of WordPerfect for Amiga, LOL...but, of course, I really purchased it for the games!
Old 28 January 2021, 07:40   #65
sandruzzo

14 years old
Old 28 January 2021, 20:20   #66
pete_uk

10 or 11. A1200 around 1992-93
Old 28 January 2021, 22:52   #67
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
So what pack did you get?

Flight of Fantasy for me. My brother had Batman pack.
I had the Screen Gems pack although I'd have much rather have had Flight of Fantasy!

Back to the Future II
Night Breed
Days of Thunder

all terrible... Shadow of the Beast II was of course gorgeous to look and listen to but almost impossible to play
Old 29 January 2021, 11:05   #68
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
I had the Screen Gems pack although I'd have much rather have had Flight of Fantasy!

Back to the Future II
Night Breed
Days of Thunder

all terrible... Shadow of the Beast II was of course gorgeous to look and listen to but almost impossible to play
This is what my brother got! Yeah those games are terrible, but I have since grown fond of Back to the Future pt II and even completed it. I think the better I got at it the more I liked it. SOTB2 have always been useless at this game and SOTB. But I'm going to watch some walk throughs and eventually get through those bastards

Nightbreed - terrible but I like it for nostalgia and it is at least playable. The action movie game is a travesty!

Days of Thunder - one of the worst games ever made. Uncontrollable car! Shame it could have been ok but it's garbage!
Old 29 January 2021, 11:25   #69
Argo

18 in my Freshman Spring semester I bought a used A500 from a local computer shop
Old 30 January 2021, 08:31   #70
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
This is what my brother got! Yeah those games are terrible, but I have since grown fond of Back to the Future pt II and even completed it. I think the better I got at it the more I liked it. SOTB2 have always been useless at this game and SOTB. But I'm going to watch some walk throughs and eventually get through those bastards

Nightbreed - terrible but I like it for nostalgia and it is at least playable. The action movie game is a travesty!

Days of Thunder - one of the worst games ever made. Uncontrollable car! Shame it could have been ok but it's garbage!
Hey, nothing wrong with days of thunder. Used to sit there for hours listening to title music. Best part of the game, if you ask me, .

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk
Old 01 February 2021, 06:18   #71
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
I had that same pack with my first Amiga, but it was faulty, yet SOTB2 was the only one that ran without serious glitches.

Impossible to play normally, unless you have the patience of a saint, but then I knew about the TEN PINTS cheat. Just start the game, walk right until you meet the first pygmy () and ask him "ten pints", and then you become invulnerable, with a message for the artist of the game, Roger Dean.
Old 01 February 2021, 09:58   #72
checksum

I was 14, I remember it well, Christmas 1987, bought from Amigaland in the UK advert in Commodore user.

Opened on Christmas day spotting a sticker on the top saying faulty Floppy Drive... bad times.

Skip to 6 weeks later! then I recieved a replacement which was fully working.
Old 02 February 2021, 07:57   #73
HOL2001
Amigamaniac

In 1989.
Old 02 February 2021, 09:49   #74
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by checksum View Post
Opened on Christmas day spotting a sticker on the top saying faulty Floppy Drive... bad times.

That is so cruel, who ever sold you that, sucks big time.
Christmas day screwed and then having to wait 6 weeks..
Old 02 February 2021, 11:05   #75
jayminer

I was 10 years old. Me and my brother got a used A500 for christmas 1991. What a great christmas that was.
Old 02 February 2021, 20:04   #76
Mikerochip

Old 02 February 2021, 21:08   #77
Rock'n Roll
German Translator

I was 15 (july 1990)
I had to wait until monetary union ... (D Mark)
And I still have my old Amiga 500 with monitor and 400 disks ...
Old 03 February 2021, 09:35   #78
dirk_the_daring

My beloved A500 was my first computer, and it is still working (despite disk drive died and had to be replaced many years ago) and with me since 1988, when i was 13. True love.

Last edited by dirk_the_daring; 03 February 2021 at 09:57.
Old 05 February 2021, 10:58   #79
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:

Back to the Future II
Night Breed
Days of Thunder

Ha ha yeah, I had the Master Mix pack with Wonderboy, Crack-Down, Thunder Blade, Dynamite Dux and Turbo Outrun (didn't come with the Amiga, it were the first non-PD games we got on the cheap).

Ehm. Dynamite Dux was fantastic, in fact I put it on my top 5 list for it's two player coop fun. But they should have called it the Tanky Framerate pack. (which I did not notice at all at the time).

It's good to start out with poor games, then all games you get after that look even better
Old 05 February 2021, 11:45   #80
blade002
Zone Friend

I was 16 and it was 1990.