English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 20 May 2013, 11:20   #21
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

Thanks for the tip. I loaded the IFF image in Photoshop, and saw that the first colour (colour 0) was usually a colour other than black. The problem is that if I change the first colour to black, it causes those pixels within the image to turn black resulting in black specks in the image.

Alternatively, I tried the Blank Border application, however generally it requires Workbench to be running before AGS2 starts. (I experimented with the startup sequence and managed to get it running before Workbench started, but after I quit AGS2, I could not get into Workbench as an Intitution window could not be closed).

Any tips to assist? I am keen to make some custom game screens.

Separately, it would be interesting if GIFS could run in AGS2. I've made a custom menu in a Windows front end that uses GIFS (animations of the Flashback guy running, Mortal Kombat fighters fighting) etc. Here's a link to it to give you an idea:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 May 2013, 12:47   #22
MagerValp

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty90seven View Post
Thanks for the tip. I loaded the IFF image in Photoshop, and saw that the first colour (colour 0) was usually a colour other than black. The problem is that if I change the first colour to black, it causes those pixels within the image to turn black resulting in black specks in the image.
Yes, you will have to change the color map and remap the affected pixels. How this is handled depends on the application, e.g. in Grafx2 you have the handy X-Swap button in the palette dialog that does it for you. With Photoshop first convert the image to RGB, then back to indexed color again. In the Indexed Color dialog, select Exact if available, otherwise Local (perceptive) and the number of desired colors. Then select Forced…, Custom…, and make sure you only have a single back color:

Quote:
Alternatively, I tried the Blank Border application, however generally it requires Workbench to be running before AGS2 starts. (I experimented with the startup sequence and managed to get it running before Workbench started, but after I quit AGS2, I could not get into Workbench as an Intitution window could not be closed).
I have this at the end of my User-Startup:
Code:
Assign AGS: Work:AGS
BorderOff QUIET
AGS:AGS2
The BorderOff utility is this one: http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/BorderOff05

Quote:
Separately, it would be interesting if GIFS could run in AGS2. I've made a custom menu in a Windows front end that uses GIFS (animations of the Flashback guy running, Mortal Kombat fighters fighting) etc. Here's a link to it to give you an idea:

[ Show youtube player ]
Cute!

But since I want to be compatible with unaccelerated 68000 machines and also keep memory usage low I'm afraid PNG, GIF, or JPEG is out of the question.
Old 21 May 2013, 10:00   #23
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

Thanks Grafx 2 (in conjunction with Photoshop and Ultimate Paint) does the job, and also the user startup sequence with BorderOff also works. I've started making fullscreen game IFF files for the main games I play (will probably make about 50 or so and share on my Google Drive when I'm finished, for anyone who wants the images).
Old 21 May 2013, 15:13   #24
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Can't images in the .IFF container format be made animated in Deluxe Paint?
Old 21 May 2013, 20:28   #25
MagerValp

AGS2 only supports IFF ILBM, not IFF ANIM.
Old 22 May 2013, 14:23   #26
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

I noticed someone in another thread talking about the program "Say" that came with WB1.3.

Might be quite fun to use "Say" in conjunction with AGS so it can say the game titles as you highlight them.

It would just be a novelty of course.
Old 22 May 2013, 16:03   #27
MagerValp

Hah, that would get annoying real fast :) Besides, narrator.device was removed in 2.1 and up.
Old 23 May 2013, 09:00   #28
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

I've made 168 title screens (IFF images with black borders) to suit the AGA menu (256 colours and 640x200 pixels). A lot of the popular and top rated games are included.

They can be accessed and downloaded here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Wc&usp=sharing

I was able to batch process the images in Ultimate Paint (PC program) which resizes the images, converts them to IFF and makes them transparent (black edges, instead of coloured).

Enjoy!

Last edited by twenty90seven; 23 May 2013 at 12:10.
Old 23 May 2013, 10:01   #29
MagerValp

Great! Is there a way to download all of them as a zip or something? Google's only providing an add to drive button, which doesn't help me since I'm not a gdrive user.
Old 23 May 2013, 10:42   #30
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I'm loving the fading images, that really does look nice!

Good work MagerValp, good to see you've picked it back up!

Last edited by killergorilla; 23 May 2013 at 10:53.
Old 23 May 2013, 10:45   #31
MagerValp

Thanks, I'm having a bunch of fun playing with the Amiga again.
Old 23 May 2013, 12:17   #32
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

No probs, I've uploaded it to the Zone on English Amiga Board. It is just under 3 meg, very small.

Direct link here:

<Direct link to The Zone removed - prowler>

The file in The Zone is Arcade Game Selector IFF images.rar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagerValp View Post
Great! Is there a way to download all of them as a zip or something? Google's only providing an add to drive button, which doesn't help me since I'm not a gdrive user.

Last edited by prowler; 27 May 2013 at 23:27. Reason: Direct links to The Zone are not allowed.
Old 23 May 2013, 12:19   #33
spoUP

wow, what a surprise! nice to see you back on the miggy valpen!
Old 27 May 2013, 10:40   #34
MagerValp

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoUP View Post
wow, what a surprise! nice to see you back on the miggy valpen!
I'm surprised myself, but it was fun to play with AmigaE again. Now I just have to find some more time to get that damn A4000 working properly.
Old 16 May 2015, 19:18   #35
dark13

Is there a secure method to create IFF graphic in windows and import it to amiga? I'm trying to set up AGS but it seems that accept some IFF and refuse other IFF without no apparent reason. Using photoshop and tried even with paint pro shop, this is driving me crazy...
Old 16 May 2015, 19:25   #36
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

There is a free program for windows that lets you save an image as "Amiga IFF", Ultimate Paint

If you want to remap the images in the Amiga you better use Image Studio. I can send it to you by email. I like to use Rebel's palette or PeterK's one. If you just need 256 colors images, Ultimate Paint does very well.

Last edited by Retrofan; 16 May 2015 at 19:53.
Old 16 May 2015, 20:15   #37
dark13

Ultimate paint seems to work... may the problem be tied to AGA palette? Exactly what happens when you hit a color not in AGA palette?

I'm working this way: put all images I'll use in a a single file in photoshop to index colors and get a Photoshop .act to remap single images. In a case I had a background and 4 images with the same palette... 2 image worked, 2 image does not. In the very end I was able to have all of them BUT I can't really understand WHY some IFF are not read. Tried also Deluxe Paint 5, AGS seems to not like images created in it....
Old 16 May 2015, 20:27   #38
MagerValp

Post one of the non-working images here, it's impossible to say what's wrong without the file.
Old 16 May 2015, 23:35   #39
dark13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagerValp View Post
Post one of the non-working images here, it's impossible to say what's wrong without the file.
Deleted them, next time i'll see the problem i'll post working and not working IFF.

Does the config files works in this version? Seems i cannot move menu (or does it conflict with screenshot image?) Would like centered image and little menu, something like this. Is this possible or screenshot have fixed size depending on screenmodes of background ?

BTW in AGS palette was taken from BK, where does AGS2 takes palette? Can you use some fixed color for BK and cahnge palette in screenshot? Thank you

Old 17 May 2015, 00:36   #40
dark13

Here's an example of problematic file, One work, one doesn't
Attached Files
File Type: zip AGS2.zip (119.2 KB, 367 views)