English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 01 January 2023, 13:02   #1441
Gzegzolka
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Warszawa / Polska
Posts: 1,621
There is something on my head so I need to ask You. Maybe it is a good time to stop tweaking engine with new features and start working on levels/game content. Or maybe that time was some time ago? If You have engine that works with decent speed on Amiga and Atari why not stick with it, work on story and levels. Finish it on Wolfenstein level of quality/engine, take a break and after some time make a sequel on Doom level of quality/engine features. I am bit afraid of Duke Nukem Forever syndrome when people can not stop implementing new features and keep polishing stuff that already looks okay. Anyway I still think what have You done is awesome.
Gzegzolka is offline  
Old 01 January 2023, 18:54   #1442
ImmortalA1000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: london/england
Posts: 1,017
If the tools let you make your own complete game I would make....

1. A Ganster themed FPS with 1930s streets filled with 1930s cars and gangsters to hunt down/avoid.

2. A Western themed game with horses to avoid being trampled over and other cowboys in the town to avoid/kill with lots of buildings/stagecoaches to use as cover. A sort of reboot of Boot Hill called Reboot Hill
ImmortalA1000 is offline  
Old 18 January 2023, 00:18   #1443
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Tsak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Athens
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
There is something on my head so I need to ask You. Maybe it is a good time to stop tweaking engine with new features and start working on levels/game content.
Well, this is exactly what I'm doing with GRIND currently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
If You have engine that works with decent speed on Amiga and Atari why not stick with it, work on story and levels. Finish it on Wolfenstein level of quality/engine, take a break and after some time make a sequel on Doom level of quality/engine features. I am bit afraid of Duke Nukem Forever syndrome when people can not stop implementing new features and keep polishing stuff that already looks okay. Anyway I still think what have You done is awesome.
It's not about blindly adding "features" like that. But adding what is necessary to actually allow us to finish the game (even a very barebones game that is). The engine at the moment is quite incomplete basically. You cannot go from level to level, you cannot have levels with different assets (like f.e. everything is loaded in memory all at once at the moment), there is no music (or at least some ambient sfx system to break the complete current in-game silence) and there are a dozen known bugs and glitches, while the game is also incompatible with most common Amiga accelerators (even fast ram is causing issues) e.t.c. e.t.c.

Personally I don't even care that much about variable heights and stairs to tell you the truth. In fact, if this runs late (KK does plan to finish the new wall renderer but it's completely unknown when), chances are I'm gonna complete GRIND with the current tech available. However the above stuff I mentioned (and much more) are still needed for a minimum viable and complete game. There's simply no other way around that.
Tsak is offline  
Old 18 January 2023, 10:26   #1444
Promilus
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Poland
Posts: 421
Tsak - oh, I didn't know it's that bad. I guess it's hyper optimized to bare 500 and 1200 which makes problems with other configurations. I guess in the end it would be difficult to maintain minimum requirements of nearly bare A500 should level transition, different assets per level and soundtrack be introduced.
Promilus is online now  
Old 18 January 2023, 15:30   #1445
d4rk3lf
Registered User

d4rk3lf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Novi Sad, Serbia
Posts: 1,456
Dread demo runs perfectly fine (and silky smooth) on my Aca500+ accelerator (14Mhz 68000, 7MB Fast, 1MB chip)
d4rk3lf is offline  
Old 18 January 2023, 15:44   #1446
nikosidis
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: oslo/norway
Posts: 1,361
The development of the engine seams to take a lot of time. I was really hoping that variable heights would be part of the final game but as we can read from "Tsak" there seams to be to many issues.
nikosidis is offline  
Old 18 January 2023, 16:25   #1447
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

malko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: CH
Posts: 4,345
In the other hand, we have already seen games and a second opus with improved content. This may be a way to go as well : Dread/Grind 1 and some month later Dread/Grind 2.
Even Shadow of the Beast has three opus, so...
malko is online now  
Old 18 January 2023, 17:56   #1448
nikosidis
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: oslo/norway
Posts: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
In the other hand, we have already seen games and a second opus with improved content. This may be a way to go as well : Dread/Grind 1 and some month later Dread/Grind 2.
Even Shadow of the Beast has three opus, so...

Sure, why not


To me the most important thing is that the game will be released and not abandoned.



There is a big chance than things will not happen if they are to complicated.



From what I seen, tried already things do not look to shabby
nikosidis is offline  
Old 18 January 2023, 19:26   #1449
d4rk3lf
Registered User

d4rk3lf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Novi Sad, Serbia
Posts: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
The development of the engine seams to take a lot of time. I was really hoping that variable heights would be part of the final game but as we can read from "Tsak" there seams to be to many issues.
As far as I am concerned, KK achieved the goal.
We have great Demo.
We have great building tools so we create our own levels.
And everyone have access to it.

Everything else Tsak or KK release in the future will be just a plus for me.

Similar to Tsak, height implementation is not that important to me, although I admit is very important as the overall technical achievement.
But KK showed to Patreons first Doom level 1 in engine, and it looked great (for an A500)...

I only wish KK pots more often here.
d4rk3lf is offline  
Old 19 January 2023, 01:54   #1450
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Tsak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Athens
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promilus View Post
Tsak - oh, I didn't know it's that bad.
Well, it's not that bad
I mean most of these issues are just there because there's no attention gone to them so far (due to different priorities obviously). I'm pretty confident we'll be able patch and iron out everything as the project progresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promilus View Post
I guess in the end it would be difficult to maintain minimum requirements of nearly bare A500 should level transition, different assets per level and soundtrack be introduced.
Exactly, at the moment we can only do that by quitting the game and loading/firing up a different binary basically. So we're limited (per binary) to assets that fit in a500's memory all at once, including the menus and UIs, in-game gfx, sounds and logic. Which should be good for a couple maps but definitely not for a whole game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Dread demo runs perfectly fine (and silky smooth) on my Aca500+ accelerator (14Mhz 68000, 7MB Fast, 1MB chip)
Oh, that's nice to know!
Yesterday we received a mail from someone that managed to run the first demo on the Amiga-mini btw.
Tsak is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amiga DRAM chip tester for HYB-514256B with Arduino UNO - Amiga 500/500+ andy2018 support.Hardware 0 31 October 2018 22:27
Amiga 500 Rev.6A VS Amiga 500 Plus with 2MB chip and ACA 500 turrican9 support.Hardware 0 24 December 2016 03:16
Final Fight on AMIGA 500+ (500 Plus), not 500! padremayi support.Games 55 09 March 2016 21:39
Possible to port Alien Breed 3D maps to Doom? (I know AB3D has features Doom can't) dex Coders. General 2 21 January 2012 23:06
GL Doom for Amiga fitzsteve support.Games 1 09 November 2010 13:52

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.13582 seconds with 15 queries