English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 April 2018, 12:15   #21
Mr.Flibble

It might be worth checking with Phillipe as he's just been doing all of this for the replacement cases project - he might have an exact colour match in a Pantone or RAL format? (Not sure how well plastic pigments translate over to paints)
Old 01 May 2018, 23:46   #22
jagLally

Try this https://www.binarydevotion.com/?p=241

I’ve bought the paint mentioned but haven’t had the time to use it on my A500

Main advantages seem to be; natural match of colour, doesn’t look painted and won’t chip as it bonds with plastic, no primers etc
Old 16 July 2018, 08:44   #23
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriond View Post
I used a colour spectrometer to measure the inside of a A2000 keyboard case, with the hope it hadn't yellowed as much there. From it I got the reading NCS S 2005-Y40R.
So, I went ahead and ordered a spray can of that hue, in a 10% matte finish. The purpose was to paint my HC508 case that I 3D printed a while ago.
With the result in hand, I have to say its very close, although not a perfect match for my A500. The tone should have a bit less reddish, maybe S 2005-Y30R or even 20R.
It's hard to tell if it will fit your specific machine, since they all have changed their colour to a different degree over the years.
Thanks... this colour looks very wrong to me but at least its a start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagLally View Post
Try this https://www.binarydevotion.com/?p=241

I’ve bought the paint mentioned but haven’t had the time to use it on my A500

Main advantages seem to be; natural match of colour, doesn’t look painted and won’t chip as it bonds with plastic, no primers etc
The paint he gives looks like a great match but its not a standard colour and the firm refuse to say what standard colour matches that, only that the reference is a customer reference.

I want to get a small can or so so I can spray a Gotek to match the A500!
Old 16 July 2018, 19:43   #24
jagLally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
The paint he gives looks like a great match but its not a standard colour and the firm refuse to say what standard colour matches that, only that the reference is a customer reference.

I want to get a small can or so so I can spray a Gotek to match the A500!
I’ve used the paint on A500 plus and retrobrightened A500 at same time. I can not tell the difference between them by eye in any light. They look identical to me. It really is as close, if not identical, as you are likely to get I reckon without some esoteric colour analysers. I even did the power supply and A590 disk. The great thing is that it doesn’t look painted at all. All original bumps and dimples are there.

As per the blog, there is a very slight rough feel to plastic instead of absolute smoothness. I think a coat of lacquer would fix it but it doesn’t bother me much (don’t feel the need to constantly stroke it )

Hope it helps.
Old 16 July 2018, 21:14   #25
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagLally View Post
I’ve used the paint on A500 plus and retrobrightened A500 at same time. I can not tell the difference between them by eye in any light. They look identical to me. It really is as close, if not identical, as you are likely to get I reckon without some esoteric colour analysers. I even did the power supply and A590 disk. The great thing is that it doesn’t look painted at all. All original bumps and dimples are there.

As per the blog, there is a very slight rough feel to plastic instead of absolute smoothness. I think a coat of lacquer would fix it but it doesn’t bother me much (don’t feel the need to constantly stroke it )

Hope it helps.
Oh I agree, that looks a great match. I just wish we knew the STANDARD version so we could order all sorts of paints dyes etc in the same colours
Old 07 November 2021, 14:44   #26
stairmand

Firstly, sorry for the necropost. I decided to post this as I couldn't find definitive answers or images so hopefully this helps out someone else.

I've been refurbing my A4000 and decide to paint my front mounted Gotek and DVD drive, from searching around people were recommending the "Krylon Dover White" paint however this is either discontinued or not available in the UK anywhere.

I thought about taking the facia to Halfords and trying to get some matching automotive paint but was worried about it damaging the plastics? (anyone tried this?) They do still sell "Krylon Almond" and some people are saying it's a good match, whilst others saying it's too "yellow"

Anyway, I bought some "Krylon Fusion Almond" to try. Firstly, the Krylon paint is excellent and even at close inspection you wouldn't know it was painted. However it is too yellow for the A4000 (probably a good match for the A2000?)

So I decided to paint all 3 drives so at least they all match, overall it looks OK just looks like it's yellowed a bit. You can see below (the A4000 facia is the factory new colour)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	469.4 KB
ID:	73747   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	596.1 KB
ID:	73748  

Last edited by stairmand; 11 November 2021 at 22:42. Reason: Pics
Old 01 June 2023, 20:46   #27
eXeler0

I have 4 light beige DVD and or CD drives and even though they are all slightly different in color, unfortunately none of those match my A4000 exactly (which is in good visual condition, but cant tell how much it has changed from its original color 30 years ago..)

Any new found tips or tricks regarding available colors out there? That Krylon Dover stuff seems to be a US product, can't seem to find it here in Europe..
Not gonna order this for $150 + import taxes +shipping (if it even ships outside US) only to find out its not really a match ;-)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23490849266...Bk9SR_aX2oSPYg

Last edited by eXeler0; 01 June 2023 at 20:51.
Old 02 June 2023, 10:10   #28
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by stairmand View Post
(probably a good match for the A2000?)
The A2000 face plate is close to the function key colour, much darker than other Amigas. :-)
Old 02 June 2023, 22:44   #29
eXeler0

Found this site in Sweden where you can aparently order any color in a spray can

https://spraycan.se/sv/artiklar/spra...l-kulorer.html

So ”Dover White” would be something like RAL SW6385.
I might give it a try.

Edit: Ordered a "custom color" SprayCan from this place. I'll get back when I get to test it.

Last edited by eXeler0; 03 June 2023 at 10:43.
Old 07 August 2023, 11:38   #30
eXeler0

So to follow up one the previous post.
They couldn’t mix Sherwin Williams - color codes so I had to give them another color code. After some googling anch checking color-generation web sites I got the RAL code instead: S0603-Y20R
This code was OK/doable for the color-mixers at ”Spraycan”
however, after trying this color out on a test surface, It was nothing like the A4000 front. Its much too white. (Too close to paper white)
So either they got the mix wrong or the color code wasn't right. (To be fair, although my A4000 looks nice, its hard to tell how much it has yellowed compared to mint)
It cost me €35 to find out but now you don’t have to repeat that mistake.

Last edited by eXeler0; 08 August 2023 at 21:15. Reason: Added some info
Old 10 August 2023, 17:14   #31
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
So to follow up one the previous post.
They couldn’t mix Sherwin Williams - color codes so I had to give them another color code. After some googling anch checking color-generation web sites I got the RAL code instead: S0603-Y20R
This code was OK/doable for the color-mixers at ”Spraycan”
however, after trying this color out on a test surface, It was nothing like the A4000 front. Its much too white. (Too close to paper white)
So either they got the mix wrong or the color code wasn't right. (To be fair, although my A4000 looks nice, its hard to tell how much it has yellowed compared to mint)
It cost me €35 to find out but now you don’t have to repeat that mistake.
Retro Brite!

An opposite alternative .....

https://dirtydown.co.uk/product/nico...-ageing-spray/

Last edited by Kin Hell; 10 August 2023 at 17:19.
Old 10 August 2023, 20:35   #32
eXeler0

Was the color of the front panel and the keyboard an exact match?
You’d think so, but was it?