English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 24 July 2022, 18:21   #1
retrogamer
Zone Friend

How do I create my own Newicons?

As the topic says how do I create my own Newicons?
Old 24 July 2022, 18:31   #2
DisasterIncarna

actually making them? oldschool via dpaint/ppaint or via pc on gimp/photoshop/etc, then just use a tool to convert your image/brush to a newicon, think some icon editors also have built in support as well as icon copiers, aminet has allsorts of stuff.

boils down to what your trying to do? Create them? Copy a pre-existing one to use in another icon? convert a load of themfrom a normal icon/png icon over to a newicon?

theres tools for each of those things, some of those are easier than the rest.

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 24 July 2022 at 18:48.
Old 24 July 2022, 18:46   #3
retrogamer
Zone Friend

I want to create Newicons in the same way as whdload slave coders do it.

Can I use this software I found on Aminet http://aminet.net/package/util/app/IconImgCopier
Old 24 July 2022, 18:58   #4
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrogamer View Post
I want to create Newicons in the same way as whdload slave coders do it.

Can I use this software I found on Aminet http://aminet.net/package/util/app/IconImgCopier
that tool i think copies from a pre-existing source to a destination, theres various others that do it as well, i think the newicon package comes with its own image injector cli tool as well?

If you want to manually make your own, just make an image in whatever paint package you like, save as an IFF file or brush and use newicons tool "InjectBrush" or a similar tool to build a newicon from scratch.

Injectbrush requires a blank icon file, then you specify a Normal-Image to inject and a Selected-Image to inject and your pictures should get injected as tooltype info into the blank icon and a NewIcon will appear.

Is it specifically NewIcons you require? Is this for an original/proper amiga? accelerated? gfx-card? no-gfx-card? emulated? if you can run it fine, some of us have moved to glowicons/png icons/etc.
Old 30 July 2022, 21:18   #5
EctoOne

Do you mean the boxart/titlescreen icons which are included in most of the WHDLoad installers?
If that's the case, maybe this can help: http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/image2icon
Old 25 May 2023, 07:06   #6
alpyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by EctoOne View Post
Do you mean the boxart/titlescreen icons which are included in most of the WHDLoad installers?
If that's the case, maybe this can help: http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/image2icon
NewIcons only supports up to 93x93 icons. That is the max icon size you can get with InjectBrush from NewIcons package.

image2icon can create icons of OS3.5 format. Which supports up to 255x255. But it can only create a single image icon (without a different image for the selected icon).

I see some WHDLoad game icons in sizes like 120x96 with two images. How to create those?
Old 25 May 2023, 09:43   #7
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

IconEdit can be used to create two-image icons.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone create NewIcons: they were always a hack, have been obsolete for decades, have no advantages and several drawbacks compared to GlowIcons, and there is no guarantee they will continue to be supported.
Old 25 May 2023, 17:59   #8
thomas

Using NewIcons is the only way to preserve the colored icons on WB 3.1 with NewIcons not installed. WB 3.1 will strip off the colored icons when saved in 3.5+ format.

From this point of view the 3.5+ way of saving colored icons is much more of a hack than NewIcons.

The NewIcons program is of course a hack as it patches into icon.library rather than providing a new icon.library with native NewIcons support.
Old 05 June 2023, 21:40   #9
alpyre

Ok. I think I've found the most convenient way to create such icons: Personal Paint. You install the icon plug-in and then you can convert any brush into icons in any format you wish to.